Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most progressive?
North Carolina 116 32.04%
South Carolina 2 0.55%
Tennessee 18 4.97%
Georgia 103 28.45%
Alabama 6 1.66%
Mississippi 9 2.49%
Florida 108 29.83%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How is NC getting votes? I can imagine the bathroom bill state as being most progressive. Florida and North Carolina are the only purple states on the list so i guess they are the only two contenders though.
Have you ever been to the Research Triangle of Charlotte? Those metros are arguably more progressive than places like Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:28 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Have you ever been to the Research Triangle of Charlotte? Those metros are arguably more progressive than places like Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh in some ways.
I have family in Raleigh and was there last summer. I’m heading to the Outer Banks in a week.

I get that there are progressives in NC. It went for Obama once. I just don’t find it to be a progressive state overall because the Jerry Falwell contingent from Virginia is still so politically active there.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:45 PM

222 posts, read 281,976 times
Texas

Old 05-30-2018, 11:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Why are neither of the best answers on the list? Virginia and Texas.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:17 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,184 times
VIRGINIA - probably not included because it would have been the obvious choice among the traditional southern states, minus Maryland. The VA General Assembly just approved the medicaid expansion, something rejected by all the other states on the list. VA will likely be the first southern state to pass legalization of marijuana. VA is pragmatic, but statewide offices have been blue the last several election cycles, including two Democratic US Senators, Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General. The legislature is almost a 50/50 split even despite the legacy of heavy gerrymandering from Republican leadership. Still no formalized state-level protections for LGBTQ community, but very heavy public opposition toward religious 'freedom' bills/bathroom bills/abortion ban-type legislation.

President Trump’s approval rating in Virginia is 37% as of March 2018, 52% of VA voters “strongly disapprove” of the job he’s doing as president. Although 57% of Virginians say the Commonwealth is on the right track, only 32% say the same about the country. [source]

Old 05-31-2018, 01:35 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Education - North Carolina, due to the large amount of universities thru out the state and a higher than average an educated workforce.

Health care - Florida, due to the high percentage of retirees that live in the state, I would expect Florida to have some of the best health care in the nation.

Other social programs - not exactly sure what that means. Does it mean which states is it easiest to get food stamps and welfare?

Best quality of life - It's hard to say, because the quality of a person's life is usually determined by what each individual person makes of his or her life. If a person doesn't have a vehicle and lives in a city that the public transit system is horrible, that will a have great effect on a person's quality life. If a person with health issues and lives in a state that ranks near the bottom in health care services, that would play a big part determining a person's quality of life.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:17 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I'll say Flordia since it's the state that people from the Northeast can tolerate the most.
Lol Florida? Hell no...

Old 05-31-2018, 06:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
I excluded Virginia mostly because it’s disputed whether it’s truly a fully southern state. Texas also isn’t all southern. While all the southeastern states are conservative to a point, my question is focusing on who’s the most progressive.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:31 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I excluded Virginia mostly because it’s disputed whether it’s truly a fully southern state. Texas also isn’t all southern. While all the southeastern states are conservative to a point, my question is focusing on who’s the most progressive.
And so Arkansas, Louisiana and Kentucky, then? They aren't southern either? You can't ask about the south and leave out half of the south.

I understand the reasoning behind leaving WV, MD and DE at the door but the other five states? It's like asking about the northeast but leaving PA, NY and NJ out.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:04 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How is NC getting votes? I can imagine the bathroom bill state as being most progressive. Florida and North Carolina are the only purple states on the list so i guess they are the only two contenders though.
I'm on your wavelength, but who else would you vote for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies