Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most progressive?
North Carolina 116 32.04%
South Carolina 2 0.55%
Tennessee 18 4.97%
Georgia 103 28.45%
Alabama 6 1.66%
Mississippi 9 2.49%
Florida 108 29.83%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 07:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 453,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
As someone who has lived in North Carolina my entire life, there are WAY to many dipsh@ts from New York and New Jersey voting Democrat here. They move here for the low taxes, and then vote for people who caused the high taxes in the places they left. It's like a disease.

Yeah, but thankfully there aren't nearly enough of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 07:50 PM

NC had a huge surge in Republican registrations leading up to the election.

Democrat, not so much.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:50 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,166,830 times
The interesting thing will be which of these trends carry over in the next four years. The Democrats biggest foul in 2020 was trying to move all campaigns online. That killed them with both get out the vote and with voter registration. Even then Cooper was re-elected governor and Trumps margin was cut by almost 2/3s. Between young people aging into the voting pool and gaining about 60k new residents per year, the 70k Trump lean is not a large mountain to move.

I think a lot of people also do not have a good sense of the cities in the Carolinas. They draw just as many transplants from smaller Southern towns/cities and college grads as they do mid-career Northern (and Midwestern) transplants. And the folks simply fleeing taxes are typically Republican leaning. The flip side of that coin are the folks moving to Charlotte and the Raleigh Durham/Research Triangle area are basically the economic winners and entrepreneurs not the ones trying to nickel and dime their way to wealth. Outside those major metros and Greensborough/Winston Salem, Wilmington and Asheville tend to attract more liberal transplants than the rest of the state. I think North Carolina and Pennsylvania will be the important swing states of the next decade as the upper Midwest trends red and the Southwest trends blue.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:59 AM

I voted for Cooper-Trump, as did everyone else in my state.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:02 AM

NC really isn't a swing state. 99 percent of the time it votes Republican.

Way too many moderate dems will not pull the lever for a Dem president.

The Republican in 2024 will win by a much larger margin without all the Covid mail ins. Maybe more than Trump won it in 2016

Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,166,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
NC really isn't a swing state. 99 percent of the time it votes Republican.

Way too many moderate dems will not pull the lever for a Dem president.

The Republican in 2024 will win by a much larger margin without all the Covid mail ins. Maybe more than Trump won it in 2016
This is nonsensical- for giggles I pulled up stats- NC absentees went 51-47 Biden which is not a big sway. If you get rid of absentee voters you could look at 2016 where 4 Dems won statewide without them. You also run the risk of Rs being the ones less able to get to the polls in a 12 hour window on exactly one given day.

Of the statewide races- Rs won 6 and Ds won 4. That is 60% not 99. One of those was R wins was the Tillis Senate race here he has fewer votes than Biden had in losing the Presidential line. His opponent was in a sexting scandal so that one will be a big 'what if.'

This is basically a 2% state in either direction except for a couple of incumbents who outperformed. Even then Cooper, the R Lt Gov and the R AG commissioner were the only ones to open up leads over 2%.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:31 AM

12,261 posts, read 6,421,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I'll say Flordia since it's the state that people from the Northeast can tolerate the most.
Florida is okay in the tourist areas along the coasts but the middle of the state, with the exception of Orlando, is still the failed Confederacy.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,478,979 times
Hawaii is the most southern state by latitude and may have gone the farthest in the progress of capitalism and globalism. The high cost of everything, especially imported stale food because hotels replaced farms, make it one of the worst states for living.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
This is nonsensical- for giggles I pulled up stats- NC absentees went 51-47 Biden which is not a big sway. If you get rid of absentee voters you could look at 2016 where 4 Dems won statewide without them. You also run the risk of Rs being the ones less able to get to the polls in a 12 hour window on exactly one given day.

Of the statewide races- Rs won 6 and Ds won 4. That is 60% not 99. One of those was R wins was the Tillis Senate race here he has fewer votes than Biden had in losing the Presidential line. His opponent was in a sexting scandal so that one will be a big 'what if.'

This is basically a 2% state in either direction except for a couple of incumbents who outperformed. Even then Cooper, the R Lt Gov and the R AG commissioner were the only ones to open up leads over 2%.

Yep, and my point stands. 99 percent of the time NC votes republican for president. It's not a swing state

Old 03-19-2021, 12:13 AM

29,450 posts, read 16,367,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
Yep, and my point stands. 99 percent of the time NC votes republican for president. It's not a swing state
There have been 59 Presidential elections

In North Carolina

Democrats have won 30
Republicans have won 17

The rest were won by Democratic-Republicans or Whigs

so more like 28%.

I think you mean to argue chance of a republican winning, which is totally different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies