Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:08 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

I know some folks on here will side with Southwest automatically, but such sentiments are easily discounted as this lady and her child were clearly treated differently than others:

Quote:
“We had a passport that verified our son’s age and identity, and both parents were present,” Gottlieb said in a statement to The Washington Post on Tuesday. “But still being pushed further to ‘prove’ that he was my son felt disrespectful and motivated by more than just concern for his well-being.

On Twitter, Gottlieb wrote that the employee claimed she requested further documentation of her and her son’s relationship because the boy had a different last name.
And this:

Quote:
Officials added that Southwest’s policy is to verify that lap children are younger than 2 by reviewing a birth certificate or government-issued ID, and that employees aren’t required to match the last names of a child and guardian on domestic flights.
And finally this:

Quote:
She added that a mother next to her told her she had never been asked for “proof” when traveling with her child, who also had a different last name but was of the same race. “Not shockingly, not mixed face fam,” Gottlieb added of the other mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 03:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
When my children were babies, I had to show passports and BCs. I didn't mind one bit. I'd rather they check.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know some folks on here will side with Southwest automatically, but such sentiments are easily discounted as this lady and her child were clearly treated differently than others:

And this:

And finally this:
Hang on -- I traveled with my sons without my husband and always had a notarized letter confirming he knew we were travellling -- in addition to the passports, etc.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:18 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
When my children were babies, I had to show passports and BCs. I didn't mind one bit. I'd rather they check.
She showed the passport, no problem. Then they asked for the birth certificate. Then the clerk said she still had to "prove" he was her child and she wanted to see facebook posts.

That is well beyond normal or acceptable.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:20 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
She showed the passport, no problem. Then they asked for the birth certificate. Then the clerk said she still had to "prove" he was her child and she wanted to see facebook posts.

That is well beyond normal or acceptable.
Different last names. Give it a rest.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:

And this:

And finally this:
Where's the link? Did I miss it?

Old 05-30-2018, 04:39 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
My last name is different from my son's (does anyone know what year this is? Many women don't change their names when they marry). I have never had to "prove" to be his mom. And I never had a birth certificate with me either.

We're both white.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:

And this:

And finally this:
Same thing happened to me multiple times because of different last names.

My daughter and I are the same race.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
My last name is different from my son's (does anyone know what year this is? Many women don't change their names when they marry). I have never had to "prove" to be his mom. And I never had a birth certificate with me either.

We're both white.
My last name is the same as my sons, we are the same race, yet I had to show his birth cert and my Id to fly with him.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My last name is the same as my sons, we are the same race, yet I had to show his birth cert and my Id to fly with him.
That's not the issue here. The mother was told she needed more proof then just the bc and id to prove she was the child's actual mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies