Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 02:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 742,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
This is where your “logic” unravels. You’ve wrongly assumed that all actors in your anarchistc society are rational, mentally stable beings. This assumption is wrong. Furthermore, how do you explain wild primates “raping, robbing, and killing others”? Are you saying that natural law doesn’t pertain to them? Or is it a only a construct for human society?

Yes. +++ I am unable to rep you again right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
This is where your “logic” unravels. You’ve wrongly assumed that all actors in your anarchistc society are rational, mentally stable beings. This assumption is wrong.
On the contrary, I believe humans to be irrational, mentally unstable, and not very nice. That's why giving a select group of people carte blanche in terms of raping, robbing, and killing others is folly.

And that's your logic. You believe a group of people should have the right to rule over everyone else and decide who can live, die, have a home, take a medicine, etc.

I always chuckle when the Statists say us anarchists are the naive ones. I know everyone is out to get me. My solution isn't to randomly pick a guy to decide who to kill and who to spare and then hope he never calls my number.

Frankly, that's not a very logically-sound way to go about the unchangeable paradigm of human nature.

Quote:
Furthermore, how do you explain wild primates “raping, robbing, and killing others”? Are you saying that natural law doesn’t pertain to them? Or is it a only a construct for human society?
Ah, now you're learning.

Cognitive ability yielding the capacity to negotiate, reason, and form mutually beneficial agreements separates humans from the other animals of the world hence our natural law is exclusive to us.

See, this is where Statists get confused. One one hand you recognize that we are cognitively complex creates to a degree so far removed from our nearest competitor (apes, dolphins, whatever you want to put at a distant #2) that it would be folly to live and only function to their capacity. We have the most upstairs (pointing to my cranium) even though many more creatures have bigger muscles than us. Yet it is our cognitive abilities which has allowed us to thrive and dominate the planet like no other time in the history of life.

If a bear could negotiate...would he? I'm guessing yes. I mean, from a purely physiological perspective it would do wonders for a bear in terms of efficiency, reducing risk, etc. just like it has done for us.

If you want a lion to rule over you...that's your cross to bear. Just leave me out of it.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I don't understand your level of self-importance. You think your philosophy is the only correct one? That's a problem. I don't think mine is. But it's the one I'm comfortable with. I don't think everything is perfect, either. But I understand that I live with many, many other individuals, and it is in our best interest to find common ground and reach for (wait for it...) the greater good. And, my dear, that includes you. Whether you like it or not.
When a human enters this world does it have the ability to cognitively give consent? Does this human also have the right to be cared for?

It isn't self-importance. Do you honestly believe I enjoy the fact that I don't have the right to rape, rob, murder, and bully people AT ALL TIMES?

When I was a Statist like yourself it sure was easy to pass the buck off to the government to do my dirty work for me. That's the other thing I find comical with you folks: you think I'm championing these facts. I'm not. I'm only telling you what they are. I wish there was a way around them a lot of the time. I'm human.

But do onto others is the what it comes down to...and living your lifestyle of cognitive dissonance was just too exhausting.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,093,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Cognitive ability yielding the capacity to negotiate, reason, and form mutually beneficial agreements separates humans from the other animals of the world hence our natural law is exclusive to us.

See, this is where Statists get confused. One one hand you recognize that we are cognitively complex creates to a degree so far removed from our nearest competitor (apes, dolphins, whatever you want to put at a distant #2) that it would be folly to live and only function to their capacity. We have the most upstairs (pointing to my cranium) even though many more creatures have bigger muscles than us. Yet it is our cognitive abilities which has allowed us to thrive and dominate the planet like no other time in the history of life.

If a bear could negotiate...would he? I'm guessing yes. I mean, from a purely physiological perspective it would do wonders for a bear in terms of efficiency, reducing risk, etc. just like it has done for us.

If you want a lion to rule over you...that's your cross to bear. Just leave me out of it.
So what you’re saying is is that human intelligence has led to a construct called “natural law”, but said law doesn’t exist in nature because.....why?

Old 05-31-2018, 05:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"The police acted stupidly."

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

"Clinging bitterly to their guns and their bibles..."

"You didn't build that!"

That's political hyperbole.
Your list is utterly ridiculous. All you did was randomly grab some Of Obama's quotes...none of which fall into the category of hyperbole. Ever hear of a dictionary?

Old 05-31-2018, 05:51 PM

8,837 posts, read 4,504,328 times
I haven't read all 21 pages in this tread, but what I have read is most amusing. Nothing to support the OP about low intelligence as a function of political hyperbole. Plenty of post do support the assertion that crack pot theories are a dime a dozen.

Of course, "political hyperbole" is what the other fella does. I just present immutable facts, ya know.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
So what you’re saying is is that human intelligence has led to a construct called “natural law”, but said law doesn’t exist in nature because.....why?
Because only humans can form contracts due to our advanced cognitive ability.

You and I are chilling out by the pool one day. I turn to you and say "Let's form a contract where you kill me by blowing my head off with a 12-gauge shotgun in approximately 10 minutes. Here's the gun, ammo, and I consent."

You agree to the terms. 10 minutes later I'm dead.

Both of us being free from duress and cognitively able to enter into the agreement allows for this free association to be logical and moral...even if not too many folks would enter into an agreement such as this.

Now, replace one of us with a beagle. Can this scenario play out?

And finally, replace both of us with beagles. Can this scenario play out?

Old 05-31-2018, 06:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I haven't read all 21 pages in this tread, but what I have read is most amusing. Nothing to support the OP about low intelligence as a function of political hyperbole. Plenty of post do support the assertion that crack pot theories are a dime a dozen.

Of course, "political hyperbole" is what the other fella does. I just present immutable facts, ya know.
Ha ha ha! ^^^ Truest post in this thread bar NONE.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:20 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,093,655 times
Quote:
Because only humans can form contracts due to our advanced cognitive ability.

You and I are chilling out by the pool one day. I turn to you and say "Let's form a contract where you kill me by blowing my head off with a 12-gauge shotgun in approximately 10 minutes. Here's the gun, ammo, and I consent."

You agree to the terms. 10 minutes later I'm dead.

Both of us being free from duress and cognitively able to enter into the agreement allows for this free association to be logical and moral...even if not too many folks would enter into an agreement such as this.

Now, replace one of us with a beagle. Can this scenario play out?

And finally, replace both of us with beagles. Can this scenario play out?
Humans developed that advanced cognitive ability over time; which means your so-called “ natural law “ has not always existed. It is a philosophy, developed by humans.

Your scenario is as-usual, ridiculous and off-point.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 742,814 times
Quote:
When a human enters this world does it have the ability to cognitively give consent? Does this human also have the right to be cared for?

It isn't self-importance. Do you honestly believe I enjoy the fact that I don't have the right to rape, rob, murder, and bully people AT ALL TIMES?

When I was a Statist like yourself it sure was easy to pass the buck off to the government to do my dirty work for me. That's the other thing I find comical with you folks: you think I'm championing these facts. I'm not. I'm only telling you what they are. I wish there was a way around them a lot of the time. I'm human.

But do onto others is the what it comes down to...and living your lifestyle of cognitive dissonance was just too exhausting.
Say what, now? I have never been more happy to say I don't get it. Your crackpot philosophy is a twisty nasty bit if cuckoo bananas. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies