Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
And it's my prerogative to call Denmark's law oppressive. Which it is, it's throwing people in jail or forcing them to dress in a way that makes them uncomfortable. If that's the direction Denmark wants to go, it can be criticized for it.
That’s fine if you want to call it oppressive. I feel that the law is based on sound policy, and I’m glad it’s being enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 03:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Technically yes, they can’t legally force them to wear it. But what repercussions will they face if they dare defy the husband?
This is true of literally anything, though. What if he forces her to get a job to support him - should women not be allowed to work? Or what if he forces her to NOT have a job, so she'll be dependent? Should women not be allowed to be stay at home mothers? In some middle eastern countries women aren't allowed to drive - should all Western women be required to get driver's licenses, whether they want them or not, just in case their husband is forbidding them from getting a license? Maybe a husband forces his wife to wear a skirt or dress rather than trousers - should women not be allowed to wear dresses?

Old 08-04-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This is true of literally anything, though. What if he forces her to get a job to support him - should women not be allowed to work? Or what if he forces her to NOT have a job, so she'll be dependent? Should women not be allowed to be stay at home mothers? In some middle eastern countries women aren't allowed to drive - should all first world women be required to get driver's licenses, whether they want them or not, just in case their husband is forbidding them from getting a license? Maybe a husband forces his wife to wear a skirt or dress rather than trousers - should women not be allowed to wear dresses?
The intent of the law isn’t to fulfill or defy the husband’s wishes. It is to prevent people from hiding their face in public. I regret responding to that post to the extent that it sidetracked the thread topic.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:58 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
It is to prevent people from hiding their face in public.
Are ski masks and big scarves also banned?

Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Are ski masks and big scarves also banned?
I haven’t looked at the black-letter law, but my understanding is that anything that disguises or obscures one’s identity in public is illegal.

This is the article that came out when the law was passed:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44319921

Quote:
The wording of the new legislation does not specifically mention Muslim women but says that "anyone who wears a garment that hides the face in public will be punished with a fine".

Old 08-04-2018, 06:02 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
I haven’t looked at the black-letter law, but my understanding is that anything that disguises or obscures one’s identity in public is illegal.

This is the article that came out when the law was passed:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44319921
Yeah?

So wearing sunglasses may be considered to obscure ones identity, especially if paired with a ball cap. No sunglasses for you.

I can see if the law is followed as written, lots of American tourists paying their 1000 kr as they pass through immigration, in their shorts, hats and shades.

Regardless of the claims, the truth is that there will be zero fines handed out to those wearing shades, hats, scarves, balaclavas, face paint. Since we know what the law is intended to do. Which is stop the roughly 200 Danish Muslims who wear niqabs or burqas from wearing them, or leaving the house.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
The people of Denmark would disagree with you.

It’s interesting, I recently watched a few documentaries on Tajikistan and Turkmenistan, both overwhelmingly Muslim countries, but you would be hard-pressed to find a woman wearing a niqab anywhere there. Because the fundamentalist Wahhabism exported from Saudi Arabia hasn’t found its way into those countries (yet). Such attire is heavily frowned upon in those countries because it is contrary to their national values. So why should Western Europe tolerate behaviors contrary to their national values?
Name the Danish value that a niqab violates?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Anything the Danish do to help bring 11th century barbarians into the 21st century is appreciated.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Technically yes, they can’t legally force them to wear it. But what repercussions will they face if they dare defy the husband?
And that’s the real issue.

I get pissed off about this subject. The sight of a woman wearing a Niquab, Burka, or other forms of dress that imply that this PERSON is a possession get my American blood to boiling.

I do not like censorship or telling others what to wear. That said, like you stated, it comes down to facing an ass beating when some ladies dare to bare their hair.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:48 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
And that’s the real issue.

I get pissed off about this subject. The sight of a woman wearing a Niquab, Burka, or other forms of dress that imply that this PERSON is a possession get my American blood to boiling.

I do not like censorship or telling others what to wear. That said, like you stated, it comes down to facing an ass beating when some ladies dare to bare their hair.
If that's the real issue then perhaps it may be wise to address that issue, rather than an entirely unrelated issue that is solely to make everyone, but who is affected by that issue, feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies