Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
*Disclosure , Texas Minded owns Facebook stock and is long Facebook .
Lol. I wish I owned a bunch of their stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:56 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Lol. I wish I owned a bunch of their stock.
Yeah it was like $30 or so when it started trading in 2012 .

Now around $193 not too bad ...

Of course it would of been even nicer to have bought bitcoin back then.. anybody got a time machine I can borrow ?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it was like $30 or so when it started trading in 2012 .

Now around $193 not too bad ...

Of course it would of been even nicer to have bought bitcoin back then.. anybody got a time machine I can borrow ?
A time machine would be nice indeed.

I remember an article back in 2012 where an investment adviser told some lady to put ALL of her life savings in Facebook stock. They were slammed for even suggesting such a thing (rightfully so) but if she followed the advice and it is still all there... cha ching. Ha

Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
A time machine would be nice indeed.

I remember an article back in 2012 where an investment adviser told some lady to put ALL of her life savings in Facebook stock. They were slammed for even suggesting such a thing (rightfully so) but if she followed the advice and it is still all there... cha ching. Ha
Yeah it seems the best investments are usually the ones that seem crazy early on .

The “experts†usually only seem to recommend one invests once the ride is over .

I’m sure a lot more are recommending Facebook stock now versus back then .

Or you could look at the housing crash . At the time many thought it was crazy to buy a house at that time but now many of those homes have gone up 2 or 3 or more times .

Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Despite diminishing participation by US teens, Facebook has been growing steadily in membership since it started. They're up to 2.2 Billion users now. A lot of that growth is in foreign countries. I spent a lot of time in Africa over the past few years and everyone you meet is on Facebook. I swear they have that whole continent enrolled, a remarkable feat in an area so poor that most people live in huts, but they do have their smart phones. Plus the kicker -- they get free data minutes while they're on Facebook. A brilliant move by Zuckerberg. They basically own all the eyeballs in Africa now. I think they tried that in China and/or India, but it didn't work out so well. I forget what the issue there was.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Despite diminishing participation by US teens, Facebook has been growing steadily in membership since it started. They're up to 2.2 Billion users now. A lot of that growth is in foreign countries. I spent a lot of time in Africa over the past few years and everyone you meet is on Facebook. I swear they have that whole continent enrolled, a remarkable feat in an area so poor that most people live in huts, but they do have their smart phones. Plus the kicker -- they get free data minutes while they're on Facebook. A brilliant move by Zuckerberg. They basically own all the eyeballs in Africa now. I think they tried that in China and/or India, but it didn't work out so well. I forget what the issue there was.
2.2 billion users . Wonder how many are legit accounts .

Oh wow . Zuckerberg should just buy Africa , he probably has the money to do it at this point .

Maybe he could partner up with Bill Gates if he’s a bit short on cash .

Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
LOL, did people around here just find out that young people like SnapChat and IG more than FB?

This has been a "thing" for some years now. Facebook is mostly for older people now.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

On the bold.

I know a lot of people from Africa and know people who live in African nations and none of them have ever lived in a hut.....

Some people in some African nations do live a more rural lifestyle but there are nearly 70 countries in Africa and the most populous/popular ones, a majority of the population lives in urban areas, not in huts.

I'll note, I've traveled a lot and every place I've ever been everyone has had a smart phone. They are standard and not rare in the world no matter where you are.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I wouldn't say they're "dropping" it as much as their preference is for other services like Snapchat and Instagram (owned by FB).

FB is certainly not immune to dying out over time - but there will always be a social networking service that is most popular.

You're right. Snap is the biggest one among teens because they can post a pic and then it goes away. Nothing to go back on...unless someone takes a screen shot of said pic or post. Snapchat has been the form of social media that has gotten a few students in the town we live in, into trouble with the law.
IG is big but not as big as snap. I met up with some friends not too long ago and one has an 18 year old daughter. I was surprised how much mom used snapchat for the filters.

I use FB because I keep in touch with family and friends that are all over the place.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
You're right. Snap is the biggest one among teens because they can post a pic and then it goes away. Nothing to go back on...unless someone takes a screen shot of said pic or post. Snapchat has been the form of social media that has gotten a few students in the town we live in, into trouble with the law.
IG is big but not as big as snap. I met up with some friends not too long ago and one has an 18 year old daughter. I was surprised how much mom used snapchat for the filters.

I use FB because I keep in touch with family and friends that are all over the place.
Friend of a friends wife was using snapchat to carry on an affair. Fortunately for him she was acting oddly with her phone. He got the pattern down+ a friend of his following her car to her affair partners house... Basic quote from him, "So I wasnt crazy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies