Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
So tired of this stuff happening. What about the two white ladies beforehand who were also denied service ?
Social media has consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I read about this first hand( apparently) on Reddit. I think race had nothing to do with it although they could have been nice and let her in since other customers were still in the store.
Then again, when the race card was played, the customer then became an imbecile and at that point lost her right to be served. That someone should be fired over that is sad, the customer should demand she be rehired and accept an apology from the bakery and everybody can shake hands and be adults and move on. Or be idiots and demand justice and seek attention.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:07 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
I applaud it.

For far too long the white man has denied us dark-skinned folks our God-given right to strudels after hours.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I disagree with the firing, I think their reasoning is absurd, but...
... still, you feel the need to defend them. You can't help yourself.
Quote:
it's their business, and Oregon is an at will state, and the owners can fire for any stupid reason they want.

If the employees were any good at their job, they'll get new ones quickly.

No clue how this is political or controversial?

Old 06-01-2018, 09:10 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
As someone who would be considered liberal by CD standards, I have to say this is nutso... And what the blue heck is an equity activist? And what the heck does the reparation happy hour accomplish? That is the most pandering thing I have ever heard?

And this person considers Portland racist? They need to pick up a couple of history books and key memoirs to see just how bad racism truly can be.

I will say the one thing I typically see to solve this problem is to lock the doors at closing and then let existing patrons out as they finish. I've been in plenty of settings where people were herded in or a rope placed behind the last customer who arrived during business hours.
As liberal as Portland seems now it actually has a pretty anti-black history to it. It's not 80% white for no reason. Still, this is just getting weird and it's mostly white people making it weird.

A bit about Portlands past for anyone who cares. It does explain why white people are going overboard.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/portlan...ite-supremacy/

Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I applaud it.

For far too long the white man has denied us dark-skinned folks our God-given right to strudels after hours.
LMAO! I was just thinking, man, I should move to Portland and get some of those ten dollar bills! If only this hard work was put in the right places. But nope, they're just going to fire white employees who don't serve after hours. I can think of a dozen better things to do to with that time.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Social media is causing all of this. It's time to do away with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So called "social" media (I call it ANTI social media) will be the death of us all if things don't change...
Amen to that.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Where is the controversy?

95%+ of people are going to believe that the employees did nothing wrong. Even the owners said that.

Since Oregon is an at will state, 100% of people will know that the owners could fire the employees for any, or no reason.

People get fired for stupid, and more controversial reasons everyday.
i don't believe you. produce a couple more stupid instances than this one from the past month.

Quote:
Could you point out why this is controversial?
you already know, but i'll play along with your little game for a bit.

it's controversial because only the most brain-dead among us would fail to see something wrong with firing two employees - not for doing a single damn thing wrong, but because a person of a particular gender/ethnicity raised a ruckus about not getting service after the place had closed. never mind that she was not the only one thus denied service. and then the SJW loon bakery owners, practically convulsing with guilt, pound out a 3,400 word 'apology', howling all the while about 'white supremacy', 'decolonization', gentrification, the history of racism in Portland, ad nauseum. and then delete it.

if you can see nothing whatsoever controversial about any of that, feel free to go to a more exciting thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
andy ngo has some fantastic coverage and quotes about this train wreck on his twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...41049963364352

Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
Ridiculous claims come from all forms of people regardless of race, religion, gender, orientation, immigrant status, disability, etc. Nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies