Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 10:00 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
No, but what they are they doing is still stupid given the water situation in California, and I'm fine with making them pay more for their wasteful idiocy.

They already do pay more via property taxes. OTOH, the free loading ILLEGALS are stealing American's water and paying no income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 10:07 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
If I have a house in California on a well, I would use as much as I please.

But I don’t and never will.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
They already do pay more via property taxes. OTOH, the free loading ILLEGALS are stealing American's water and paying no income tax.
I get it, you hate illegals. The fact is they do pay property taxes (renters pay that in the form of rent), sales and excise taxes and yes income taxes. Stop your lies. https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/ho...-an-explainer/

Old 06-03-2018, 02:19 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
California is pretty much a desert. If anything, it had been unusually wet the past few centuries, and it's reverting back into its desert roots. It was inevitable eventually. So they really do need to minimize their water usage, unless other states are willing to provide them with water.

Well then California shouldn't be diverting so much water to agriculture where it doesn't naturally belong should it?

Old 06-03-2018, 02:37 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
It's not unreasonable to ask people to conserve water in a place that is essentially a desert area:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/wettest-pl...he-usa-4135027

Water is not a problem in my area; I can't recall ever having to water anything. Still, I grow flowers/trees/shrubs that are adapted for my particular climate type (cold winters/wet climate). It's strange to see the lawns growing in areas of California surrounded by desert; it would kind of be like people having lawns of cacti here

A water shortage has nothing to do with undocumented immigrants; it's simply a matter of geography and climate.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,969 times
Well maybe the cities and counties need to do something about sprinklers that are watering when it is raining.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:50 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
You need to read about the Colorado River Compact:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact

And given that the river originates in Colorado (hence the name), I'm curious as to why you believe Arizona owns it.....
I should have been more clear. The larger volume of water merges within Arizona's boundaries. Arizona can absorb as much or all of the water, leaving Californica with a dry river bed. Treaties and compacts don't matter when push come to shove.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
You need to read about the Colorado River Compact:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact

And given that the river originates in Colorado (hence the name), I'm curious as to why you believe Arizona owns it.....
I should have been more clear. The larger volume of water merges within Arizona's boundaries and provides much of Arizona's agricultural needs. Arizona can absorb as much or all of the water, leaving Californica with a dry river bed. Treaties and compacts don't matter when push come to shove.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:54 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,861 times
California has had drought and water aplenty for decades. Perhaps they should have spent the $$ to build the reservoir projects that were designed 30-40 years ago, it sure would have been less expensive then. But no one wanted to spend the dough and they were fought by Sierra Club and other environmentalists because of some fish, frog, or salamander.

Meanwhile I will enjoy my well that has an adjudicated water right that allows 13,000 gallons per day, that is if they ever decide to put a meter on it.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
the free loading ILLEGALS are stealing American's water and paying no income tax.
Oy vey. Read and learn.
https://www.vox.com/2018/4/13/172290...ants-pay-taxes
Quote:
The best estimates come from research by the Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy, a Washington, DC, think tank, which suggests that about half of undocumented workers in the United States file income tax returns. The most recent IRS data, from 2015, shows that the agency received 4.4 million income tax returns from workers who don’t have Social Security numbers, which includes a large number of undocumented immigrants. That year, they paid $23.6 billion in income taxes.

Those undocumented workers paid taxes for benefits they can’t even use, like Social Security and Medicare. They also aren’t eligible for benefits like the earned income tax credit. But the IRS still expects unauthorized immigrants to file their taxes, and many of them do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies