Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/u...-midterms.html

I saw this article and want to again emphasize the importance of voting for the candidate you see fit to run your city, state, country. Don't worry about whether or not they will beat this candidate and so let me not vote for them but this more conservative one instead. You have to get rid of that mentality. Ms. Abrams ran a liberal campaign and was successful!

By "waiting her place," I want to say that it's this mindset where a black male should have gotten the position before a black female AND Georgia is not ready for someone so liberal and so again, people who are more progressive need to "wait their place." No one should have to "wait their place" as their shouldn't be any barriers or anything preventing them from becoming what they want to be.

Let's not contribute to that mindset!

Old 06-02-2018, 01:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Good for Miss Abrams.

But I do think though, that the Democratic Party in general...haven't yet learned their lesson, about the populist rage boiling underneath the surface, from the 2016 Presidential election fiasco.

But I suppose it's due to their donor base, which is full of corporate greedheads...paranoid about maintaining control over the politics.

And there may be some more issues unacknowledged within the Democratic voting base that could potentially hinder a full takeover of the House and Senate this year.

Wait and see, I guess...

Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Good for Miss Abrams.

But I do think though, that the Democratic Party in general...haven't yet learned their lesson, about the populist rage boiling underneath the surface, from the 2016 Presidential election fiasco.

But I suppose it's due to their donor base, which is full of corporate greedheads...paranoid about maintaining control over the politics.

And there may be some more issues unacknowledged within the Democratic voting base that could potentially hinder a full takeover of the House and Senate this year.

Wait and see, I guess...

I'm proud of Ms. Abrams and proud of those who chose to go out and vote. Every time I go out and vote, there's usually someone representing the district who is really liberal and I always think, man this person probably won't make it to the general election but I still vote for them anyway.

Sometimes I think about the people who during the Civil Rights Movement, told other black people not to be too progressive and to be grateful for what they have and that change comes slow. They should wait their turn. And then I think of the people today who want change but are unwilling to vote for change because they think they must wait their turn.

I highlighted that because the Democratic Party does not know (or maybe does) how much they lost from not appealing more to the progressive base, which was very populist. I've spoken to some young people and they are not at all engaged in voting. Some indicated that they voted in 2016 and I believe they were quiet disappointed by how the system basically pushed Sanders aside as he was popular amongst young people and progressive voters. I mean Clinton lost to Trump. That should have been a huge wake up call.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Identity politics doesn’t work. It won’t work this time either.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:41 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Identity politics doesn’t work. It won’t work this time either.
Oh, but it has worked, and for centuries.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:47 PM

370 posts, read 325,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Oh, but it has worked, and for centuries.
How?

Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,673 times
It is said Ms Abrams would like to change the faces on Stone Mountain. If anyone should like to see Jackson's face removed it should be the Cherokees - who were displaced from here on the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma.

https://www.themaven.net/theresurgen...eid=211c6aec59

Civil disobediance goes back to the Revolutionary War.....so Ms Abrams burned the Georgia flag in protest - at least it wasn't the US flag. No reason to not vote for her. After all Clinton claimed to not inhale and we all know that's not possible. Clearly he was elected twice in fact.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
By "waiting her place," I want to say that it's this mindset where a black male should have gotten the position before a black female ....
If any male (black or otherwise) had the gumption to get up on his hind legs and challenge Abrams for governor, he should have done so.

These days women are not going to "wait their turn" when it comes to politics. That mindset is toast, in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM

116 posts, read 119,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
If anyone should like to see Jackson's face removed it should be the Cherokees - who were displaced from here on the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma.
That was a different Jackson

Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
It's very interesting to see this post from the summer, back when very few gave Abrams a snowball's chance. Now two weeks before the election, she's got the edge in early voting and the polls have her in a virtual dead heat. Not clear what the result will be it is certain she will have outperformed the past Democratic candidates for Governor.

So the advice, OP gave to vote for who you see fit and avoid trying to game the system is ever so fitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: