Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:47 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Interesting.

I've read many of his posts, and he has never mentioned that in any of the posts I have read.

He's in his 70s, but if you read his posts, he talks about his workplace, so he does own a business or have a job.

If he is from California, that is even more reason why he should have realized why...without even clicking on lovecrowds' link...he should have known why those listed rents in San Francisco are so low. At any rate, he would have known, had he bothered to click on the link and read (rather than not clicking and revealing the ignorance he possessed because he didn't bother to click and read).
He's mentioned he's from California before (though not in over a year).

Old 06-03-2018, 08:30 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Section 8 housing in cities with median rent over $1000 should be eliminated. Poor people should not be subsidized by the taxpayers to live in Los Angeles when so many middle class would like to live there but can't afford it. It would be cheaper to relocate section 8 tenants to flyover states/cities with low rents, of course those cities probably wouldn't want them.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:58 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've been to Kansas, multiple times back when I was an OTR driver, it was very depressing there to me, especially the towns with the meat packing plants like Liberal and Hutchison. And the several times I went to Wichita, it seemed like what Dallas must have looked like in 1945, and not in a good way. I wouldn't live in Kansas if you gave me every single unit of every single curreny in the whole world
There are ugly parts of towns in every state. I have been to every region of California at least once having spent more than 30 years of my life there and can pick and choose ugly areas also. The coastal areas and the Sierras are great. The deserts and the Central Valley are not. And the Central Valley and deserts comprise most of the land in California. Of course rentals and home prices are much lower away from the coast but still way higher than Kansas. I would also think the economy and job prospects are better in Wichita than a place like say El Centro. Also a prettier city and better climate in Wichita IMHO.

I have rentals about 3 hours south of Wichita and have been to several parts of Kansas. I choose not to be there in the winter months. I don't like cold weather. But from May to November the area is green and beautiful.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
6,500 Californians rushed into compete for 95 apartments with rents of $987 to $1711 for a 1 bedroom to 3 bedroom unit.

Meanwhile, Wichita has open 3 bedroom apartments for $575 with no wait and they don't have to utilize limited numbers of low income housing tax credits.
You can live in the mountains for free.

I'd rather do that than live in Wichita.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
6,500 Californians rushed into compete for 95 apartments with rents of $987 to $1711 for a 1 bedroom to 3 bedroom unit.

San Francisco affordable housing crisis gets worse - Business Insider

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/u...e-applied.html

Meanwhile, Wichita has open 3 bedroom apartments for $575 with no wait and they don't have to utilize limited numbers of low income housing tax credits.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...153_rect/9_zm/

It is funny how much fake and manufacturing scarcity there is on the Democratic, liberal coasts when 6500 compete for less than 100 apartments that are three times the price of apartments begging to be rented in Wichita.
There is an easy explanation, and hopefully this won't offend anybody who loves Wichita, but obviously there are millions more people who would rather live anywhere in California than anywhere Kansas!

That's pretty much it. People vote with their feet, and the "feet" have spoken. I see this type of topic all the time and all the discussions about it and it always comes down to the same thing. Supply and demand. If you've got an area with good employment options, a mild comfortable climate, and beautiful terrain....mountains, oceans, lakes, deserts, forests or whatever land/water feature people generally like....guess what, you'll have more expensive housing than a place without any or all of those features.

Only you can decide if you'd prefer the politics/amenities/climate/landforms of Detroit over San Diego, or New York over LA, or Minneapolis over Cleveland. If enough people agree with you, the pricing of real estate in those areas will reflect this opinion greatly.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
There is an easy explanation, and hopefully this won't offend anybody who loves Wichita, but obviously there are millions more people who would rather live anywhere in California than anywhere Kansas!
Also a big factor on price is available land. In the 1960's California all the features that it has now. Yet real estate was not high relative to other areas as it is now. As long as they could keep building new homes that somewhat kept up with demand prices rose at a modest pace.

I grew up in SoCal and it was the late 70's when prices started to rise rapidly and that was when land in the coastal areas that could be developed into housing was no longer available. New housing was out in the high desert in areas that lacked what made SoCal desirable.

I had the opportunity in the early 80's to buy a small 2BR track home in L.A. for $65K. Ten years earlier it was $25K and buying it meant for me postponing finishing college as I would have this mortgage payment to deal with. I ultimately passed on it and now its worth more than $600K.

Supply and demand. I would image Wichita has lots of land around it. There is no ocean on one side and mountains on the other that limit space for housing.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-03-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Downtown Wichita
Wichita

F[i]or Wichita, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by CavalierKing; 07-02-2018 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies