Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Europeans most definitely did sell and auction Africans off into slavery!

What in the world do you mean?

The vast majority of black slaves were captured and enslaved by other blacks in Africa. In fact slavery was part of African culture before the white man arrived.

Quote:
- And no!

Blacks are not involved in the selling of other blacks into slavery on any massive scale.

So just a few slaves for sale. Guess that's OK then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:35 AM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:

Blacks are not involved in the selling of other blacks into slavery on any massive scale.

What is your personal quote below which it is ok?, as that is what your post implies.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
What part of Italy are you from? I don't recall "Chicago" being part of Italy, so knock it off with your pretend "first hand knowledge of the problem."

As for the rest, be my guest and stem the tide, welcome actual refugees who want to work and integrate, and keep the criminals or terrorist wanna-be's out. Sure - that makes sense. But don't stand around, prideful in tribalism, and mouth off about how all or most immigrant are troublemakers. I seriously doubt your ancestors are all American Indian, so you're no better than the refugees fleeing to Italy; had the bigots of your ancestor's time won, you wouldn't be living in Chicago.

You're the one who referenced crime and class with regard to certain parts of Italy, so my question is a valid one and stands.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
The vast majority of black slaves were captured and enslaved by other blacks in Africa. In fact slavery was part of African culture before the white man arrived.

So just a few slaves for sale. Guess that's OK then.
Slavery has been a part of many cultures in the past.

However, the European enslavement of subsaharan Africans was particularly barbaric and unusually heinous. Africans were regarded as subhuman and treated like chattel.

Slavery still exists on some level in just about every country today. From forced factory and farm labor to forced prostitution.

Therefore, to single out countries of Africa would be of little significance when we compare what's happening today with that of the African Slave Trade where millions of black Africans were displaced into the Americas...

Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Actually, quite a number of Sicilians have been welcoming of refugees coming there.

https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...ltures-and-art

And some dying towns have been revitalized by refugees as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ed-by-refugees

Riace: The Italian village abandoned by locals, adopted by migrants - BBC News

Maybe this has a lot to do with Sicily's history as crossroads of people coming from different regions, from the Phoenicians, Athenians, Romans, Arabs, Normans, etc.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:41 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
Quote:

But I will NOT sit silently by while hypocritical right-wing bigots attempt to trash ALL immigrants for the actions of a sleazy few.
You do realize there's a difference between legal and illegal immigrants, right?

Old 06-03-2018, 03:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
https://apnews.com/2c3771ee21c045c3a...eport-migrants

“The free ride is over,” League leader Matteo Salvini, Italy’s new interior minister, warned migrants at a rally in northern Italy. “It’s time to pack your bags.”

Another Western country, one of the birthplaces of western civilization, deciding to return to normal.

This one is particularly satisfying to me, as I am a Roman nut who has read more history by the ancient authors than most people have read books. When I went to Rome, I was shocked and saddened to see that the neighborhood surrounding Roma Termine was basically downtown Oakland, with urine and feces in the streets, empty bottles left all around, drug deals and prostitution, open fights over bad deals for both, grifters, beggers, and aggressive panhandlers.

Not a one of the troublemakers, of course, was Italian, and we can leave it at that. I even saw soldiers questioning a guy--again, let's just say not an Italian--who was hanging around the Colesseo at night for no obvious purpose.

Every other TV station had a story about the migrant crisis. It was on everyone's mind all of the time how they were losing their country.

Italians should not have to take this in their own country, and nor should any other westerner. We owe it to no one to put up with the crime, drugs, prostitution, and terrorism, especially when we are told that it is not happening and that we are racist for reporting it.

Don't bother with "its their country, let them deal with it." If that was true, you types would not be popping in here to comment--none of your business either, then. Human rights are universal, even for Europeans.

That is all.

The Great Awakening, is happening all across Europe.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:00 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Any proof that the trouble-makers are not natives to the nation?
Why would it matter?

Old 06-03-2018, 04:01 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
You do realize there's a difference between legal and illegal immigrants, right?
It depends on how you define "legal". If you mean actually invited by the people rather than the government, then there is a difference, but I'm not sure there are any such immigrants.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:43 PM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Dems abhor those that came legally, such as our ancestors. Break the law, and you get their admiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies