Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It kind of reminds me of

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
But the right wing have always reminded us that, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." So which one is it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Do homeless people qualify for the handout if they have no permanent address and aren't in the system? $500 a month would be a boon to the liquor stores and local drug dealers, at least. Would illegals get the $500?
Then again, if you knew people were getting $500 a month( everybody that needed it), would you give money to panhandlers?
I said before that this free money idea is a social engineering test that isn't designed to help society but rather to weaken it. You get people used to living at a subsistence level where basic needs are met and they never improve their lives and become completely dependent on the government for living. Like farm or zoo animals.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:12 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Do homeless people qualify for the handout if they have no permanent address and aren't in the system? $500 a month would be a boon to the liquor stores and local drug dealers, at least. Would illegals get the $500?
Then again, if you knew people were getting $500 a month( everybody that needed it), would you give money to panhandlers?
I said before that this free money idea is a social engineering test that isn't designed to help society but rather to weaken it. You get people used to living at a subsistence level where basic needs are met and they never improve their lives and become completely dependent on the government for living. Like farm or zoo animals.
This web site reports on the pilot experiments; found it the day I saw this thread, and the reports I have looked at so far the pilots have disqualified the homeless.

I never give money to a pan handler ... because I haven't any to give. If I have smokes, I'll give 'em a couple, most seem grateful for that. I doubt the thinking that a pan handler might be receiving a BI would deter people from giving. Many do it for the same reason I give the smokes ... Homeless people do qualify for food assist and medical, but many refuse services because of big brother tracking them. The EBT program was established for two reasons. One to attract those that where embarrassed to be in the system; paying with funny money, that said 'hey look at me'. (many went hungry instead) The other was so that even homeless ... as long as the person could hang onto a card, funds for food can be loaded onto it.

Free Money ... that's funny.

First lets get a bit of a take on what is being achieved. The premise behind supplying any one with any form of assistance, is so that, the person getting the hand up, will eventually stand on their own and pay back into the system through earning their very own taxes. It is the only way it works.

I'm thinking homeless will be disqualified from BI, because those are people that have basically checked out of society anyway and have said, screw it.

BI is for the working poor for health care and education, basic needs to stay in society. When I was a VISTA, I received a stipend for $825.00 a month and I was on the food assist program. I found a place for $325 a month, I paid my utilities out of that and my sundries; fuel to and from work. It was simple and it worked.

Quote:
Would illegals get the $500?
May not have to worry about it ...

Mexico: Universal Basic Income stages of implementation

Farm animals or zoo animals for a comparison, in many cases they do become someone's lunch.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
It's not universal, and it's not "basic income." It's exactly what it's been called by its detractors: cash for criminals.

They get up to $1,000/month for agreeing to be mentored by ex-cons, and promising not to kill people. Their word is gold, you know.

I wonder what the victims of criminals are getting...

Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Free money !

Hmmm how about improving education , attracting businesses to the area ?

I guess that’s actually harder than giving handouts though ..

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/3...ic-income.html
Wonder how much of that $14,000 will be booze money, junk food money or spent on flat-screen TV's?

I think if anyone is deserving of $500 more dollars a month it's a struggling senior or physically disabled person.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
California should stop chasing out businesses , but its too late those in business are not coming back to this mess till they change completely .

Old 06-04-2018, 10:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's not universal, and it's not "basic income." It's exactly what it's been called by its detractors: cash for criminals.

They get up to $1,000/month for agreeing to be mentored by ex-cons, and promising not to kill people. Their word is gold, you know.

I wonder what the victims of criminals are getting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wonder how much of that $14,000 will be booze money, junk food money or spent on flat-screen TV's?

I think if anyone is deserving of $500 more dollars a month it's a struggling senior or physically disabled person.
And this is why people will continue to be weighted down by the bureaucracy through economical hardship and the working poor will never get a leg up in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies