Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It's amazing how many people continue to claim that the baker was discriminating against gay people, as if he completely refuses to serve them. Meanwhile, in the real world, he refused to create a cake celebrating an activity that he disagreed with on moral and religious grounds. This case should never have seen the inside of a court room.
Hopefully the baker loses a lot more baking than just wedding cakes. Why should gays or gay supporters give the baker any business at all? Let the market determine if the baker stays in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 06:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Justice served!

This gay couple just wasted everyone’s time and a lot of money.

This case was not denying regular service but trying to enforce something against someone’s belief for the fun of a gay couple.

Why didn’t this couple just go to a bakery that had no issues to make the cake of their dreams.

In our business we help everyone and if someone asks us to do anything against Fair Housing than we deny helping them. We sell and rent to anyone based on credit and background checks and pre-approvals from third parties. I never heard anyone in my business, denying someone based on sexual preference but we have refused to help
People we don’t trust, acted strange Etc, and even had a different Realtor help a person or couple as for some reason some people just don’t get along.

In this case, why enforcing someone to prepare a cake that needs creative skills and forcing to put something on the cake that they don’t agree with.

Walmart denied to make certain cakes.

What about the left intolerance for people wearing a MAGA hat/cap and losing their minds. Even when they don’t have to interact, some leftist lost their mind just seeing someone with a hat with letters on it and that to me is not the same as creating a cake!
We agree. I want the right to refuse the MAGA hat wearers too. Where I live, that would be applauded.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
according to cnbc, the justices, in a 7-2 decision, faulted the Colorado Civil Rights Commission's handling of the claims brought against Jack Phillips, saying it had showed a hostility to religion.
It did show hostility.

One cannot say Muslim women cannot be forced to remove their burkas, even though State and local ordinances prohibit facial coverings on public transit, and State law requires a photograph of the facial area for a driver's license, because it violates their religious beliefs, while forcing others to violate their beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I like the headlines...

"Supreme Court rules narrowly for Colorado baker who wouldn't make same-sex wedding cake"

5-4 is a narrow ruling. 7-2 is as close to a sweep as you are going to get these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If 7-2 is narrow then what the heck is 5-4? Pretty telling on NBC's part using that kind of language in its reporting.
Leave it to the Media to differently twist things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I never understood why any business would turn away a customer and I certainly don't understand why anyone would want to buy something from someone that doesn't want to and even worse is when they are forced to sell to you.
Some customers aren't worth having. Ask Amazon or LL Bean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Sure. Should the Jewish bakery be forced to make Merry Christmas cakes? Should the Muslim bakery be forced to cater bar(t) mitzvahs? No. Nobody should be forced into associations.
The 1st Amendment's Freedom of Association is also Freedom from Association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Tell me where in the Bible Jesus said it's OK to hate gays, or where Jesus treated ANYONE badly. Newsflash: he didn't. Jesus said, "Love one another." That's pretty simple, with zero room for interpretation. Liberals don't need to spin this negatively: the so called Christian baker did a great job all on his own.
While Jesus might have said, "Love one another", he clearly intends to deny many people entry into Heaven:

I Corinthians 6:9-11 Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

And, just because Jesus might have said "Love one another" it doesn't mean we have to sit around and do each other's hair, or bake a cake.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 638,406 times
Most important leason from this situation is the difference between private and public laws. You cant force privately owned business to do anything but pay their taxes. This is one of the many reasons that privitazition of government services is one of the most dangerous things we have seen in world history. Private prison corporations are one of the best examples. The police/fire/EMS/ services cant pick and choose who they service because they are publicly controlled, hand the control of critical Human Services to privately-owned corporations and you'll get a cluster bomb. in my opinion this Baker is a bigot but he has the right to be because he doesn't work for the government he works in the private industry.... remember that the next time you hear about privatization attempts like mercenary armies and charter schools even your local zoo and Park being taken away from the Democratically controlled political process and handed over to a corporation or a nonprofit organization...."defunding" democracy 101, they want your tax money while disregarding your vote, privatization gives them that power!!!

https://youtu.be/UikhLJNLFK4

Old 06-04-2018, 06:10 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Good news. I’m all for small businesses having rights.
ditto

Old 06-04-2018, 06:12 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

While Jesus might have said, "Love one another", he clearly intends to deny many people entry into Heaven:

I Corinthians 6:9-11 Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

And, just because Jesus might have said "Love one another" it doesn't mean we have to sit around and do each other's hair, or bake a cake.
Jesus never said that.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Hopefully the baker loses a lot more baking than just wedding cakes. Why should gays or gay supporters give the baker any business at all? Let the market determine if the baker stays in business.
The bolded is exactly how this whole situation should have played out.

As for hoping that he loses business, why? He made a moral decision based on his beliefs. Would you feel the same if he had refused to create a cake celebrating Trump's election on moral grounds? I don't personally know the baker, nor am I likely to ever visit his establishment. Hoping he loses business seems a bit vindictive, though.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The bolded is exactly how this whole situation should have played out.

As for hoping that he loses business, why? He made a moral decision based on his beliefs. Would you feel the same if he had refused to create a cake celebrating Trump's election on moral grounds? I don't personally know the baker, nor am I likely to ever visit his establishment. Hoping he loses business seems a bit vindictive, though.
typical from sour grapes HRC fans to be vindictive

No Biggie, I will simply keep enjoying winning. One terrific SC decision after another. JANUS coming soon.

MAGA

Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
People keep talking about "sincerely held religious beliefs" as if a real person was being defended. What the SC is defending is mythology: the right for a person to discriminate towards other PEOPLE based on his stated belief in myths. The Supreme Court thinks criticism of religion is worse than actual prejudice towards gays.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People keep talking about "sincerely held religious beliefs" as if a real person was being defended. What the SC is defending is mythology: the right for a person to discriminate towards other PEOPLE based on his stated belief in myths. The Supreme Court thinks criticism of religion is worse than actual prejudice towards gays.
your post is a microcosm of liberals hatred of religion.

I am very proud of the SC in 2018.

MAGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies