Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The only thing I'm seeing is ignorance of the legal system. Manafort has been charged and is awaiting trial. Being out on bail is a privilege accorded to people in that circumstance but there are rules that have to be followed in order to maintain that privilege. Manafort violated those rules, more than once and he has thus forfeited his right to stay out of prison pending trial. This is how the legal system works for everyone and it isn't remotely the same as China or the Soviet Union. Manafort is the only one responsible for this situation, he could have refrained from illegal contacts and attempted witness tampering and the status quo would have remained, pending his actual trial.

Your afforded bail, when a speedy trial is not available, and to reseaerch and question witnesses to back your case to clear your name.
In this country, we are all innocent until sat in a court, in front of a jury and proved your guilt, beyond doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The only thing I'm seeing is ignorance of the legal system. Manafort has been charged and is awaiting trial. Being out on bail is a privilege accorded to people in that circumstance but there are rules that have to be followed in order to maintain that privilege. Manafort violated those rules, more than once and he has thus forfeited his right to stay out of prison pending trial. This is how the legal system works for everyone and it isn't remotely the same as China or the Soviet Union. Manafort is the only one responsible for this situation, he could have refrained from illegal contacts and attempted witness tampering and the status quo would have remained, pending his actual trial.
Speaking as a right winger, I agree with you.
Sounds like Manafort stepped in KaKa and Manafort will have to pay. If they let me stay at home instead of in jail, I would damned well behave myself.

If there is a connection with something Trump has done, maybe it will come out. But until then, Manafort is to Trump what Weiner is to Hillary; crimes not connected to the other person.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
This system is totally criminal, corrupt and broken and don't think for one solitary second that millions and millions of people don't see it.

Guess is it probably will not end well. At least it should not.
The system is corrupt, but the Manafort case is, if anything, very soft on justice.
ail
Just because the "system is corrupt" (as it has ALWAYS been...we could say imperfect instead of corrupt) doesn't mean that if you kill an entire family when driving drunk that you should not be put into jail.

And it doesn't mean a guy like Manafort shouldn't be jailed....possibly for a LONG time.

If anything, the corruption is the opposite of what you are getting at. Poor people and those with less power who steal $200 or take a joyride in a car will likely be thrown into jail for many years...yet someone like Manafort was allowed to use his luxury home as a "jail"....

That obviously resulted in his breaking even MORE laws - meaning he is a habitual and unrepentant criminal. His actions are treasonous, although I doubt he will be charged and hung for that.

As with most cases, he will be charged with a small percentage of what he actually did.....

So, yes, the system is biased...but TOWARD people like him. So those who complain he is getting railroaded are in opposite world.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
If Manafort were innocent of his charges then why would he try to contact people and make them feel like he was asking them to lie?
What an ego.
This guy hires attorney's to take care of his charges and doesn't do a thing they say or the Judge who set his bail tells him he must do.
The first thing his attorney's would have told him is do not contact anyone, we will handle it.
Let's see how he feels when he is in jail for a month before he has to go to court.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Sounds like Manafort stepped in KaKa and Manafort will have to pay. If they let me stay at home instead of in jail, I would damned well behave myself.

If there is a connection with something Trump has done, maybe it will come out. But until then, Manafort is to Trump what Weiner is to Hillary; crimes not connected to the other person.
I'm not saying that what Manafort has been charged with is directly linked to Trump, although at the very least, it certainly shows a lack of due diligence and good judgement when making this person his campaign manager. This was most certainly not a case of hiring the very best people. And Trump's repeated backpedalling and lies about Manafort's involvement including the duration of it are problematic.

But mostly I recognize that I don't know what Bob Mueller knows. Is there a link to the Manafort charges and Trump? At some point, we'll find out one way or the other. Not knowing the answer at this moment does not mean the answer is no.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is the same judge that forced the Catholics to provide birth control via Obamacare, which was overturned.
Same lady, that upheld an EPA ruling that took property from landowners, which was over turned.
Obama appointed her in 2010, at the height of his Marxist reign and a Supermajority to work for him.
The Senate vote was unanimous to confirm her.

Unanimous!!!

Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Your afforded bail, when a speedy trial is not available, and to reseaerch and question witnesses to back your case to clear your name.
In this country, we are all innocent until sat in a court, in front of a jury and proved your guilt, beyond doubt.

Not everyone is given bail based on the seriousness of the charges. Manafort was given a few simple rules to follow and he broke them. They were right to pull his bail and put in jail to await his trial. He did it to himself!

Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Question - DId Weiner spend a decade taking millions of dollars from foreign governments to work for actions which were/are against US Policies? Was he working as the top-top person in Hillarys campaign while doing this?

Remember Sesame Street...."one of these things is not like the other". Pictures of a bulge in your pants is not the same as working against US Interests, Laundering vast amounts of money...and doing so while in POTUS election campaigns as top staff.

False equivalencies are something we all have to watch out for. Stealing a car and what Manafort did are not the same level. Even smuggling a kilo of heroin and Manafort are not the same thing....Manafort didn't "make a mistake"....his entire life is clearly a scheme to make Russia great again for cash...which he didn't even pay US Taxes on.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The Senate vote was unanimous to confirm her.

Unanimous!!!
Seems like Bent is Bent toward thinking that human beings do everything perfectly. The news that people who do a lot of things...have some fail or overturned...isn't exactly an enlightenment.

The only people who don't fail at things are those who do nothing.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
It is the same judge that forced the Catholics to provide birth control via Obamacare, which was overturned.
Same lady, that upheld an EPA ruling that took property from landowners, which was over turned.
Obama appointed her in 2010, at the height of his Marxist reign and a Supermajority to work for him.
Do you sit at attention while you type for Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies