Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So I am reading through the Times article (which I will locate another source shortly) in which there was a 90 minute hearing on this... the issue seemed to be that Manafort did not know the official witness list and reached out to certain people unknowingly... and the judge says he should have known who was on the list.

That seems questionable to me to jail him for that. Are they allowed to give Manafort's lawyer the list of witnesses?
Usually during discovery( if the lawyers ask for it ) which happens on an agreed schedule. In fact, it is Manaforts lawyers who are late in giving Mueller requested documents in discovery,

Also, part of the evidence on witness tampering was one of the witness being tampered told the FBI Manafort was trying to get him to commit perjury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
To all of you who responded...

I am kind of in and out on the whole Russia thing... and look in when real events happen (instead of gossipy stuff).

Went back and look at what they found - it looks like he was doing more than sitting at home and watching court shows on TV.

I am not sure how much he can and can't do... one thing is for sure - the prosecutor and likely the judge as well (who are liberals) were probably waiting for a reason to put him in jail - and it looks like he gave it to them.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No it doesn't. Jail cells before trials should be reserved for those who are a danger or actual flight risk. Do you actually think that a person like Manafort can't tamper with witnesses from inside a jail cell? If so, that is extremely naive because it happens all the time.
I am sure he will be well monitored there since they are aware he is now alleged to be doing it. House arrest wasn’t working out, so there’s a point where you have to call it sometimes. How would you propose trying to keep a person from doing so?

Old 06-16-2018, 12:17 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I am sure he will be well monitored there since they are aware he is now alleged to be doing it. House arrest wasn’t working out, so there’s a point where you have to call it sometimes. How would you propose trying to keep a person from doing so?
Inmate phone calls are monitored regardless of who they are. Someone from the prosecution is not there listening, it is up to jail or prison staff to recognize something hinky or all calls are recorded and reviewed later. Though calls and visits with attorneys cannot be monitored or recorded.

As to how to keep them from doing so, you can't. I don't think keeping them in a cell before trial for a white collar crime, even if they have been accused (it has not been proven) of witness tampering, is justifiable. Prove the tampering in court by adding it to the list of indictments.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:24 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Whether Giuliani or anyone posting on C-D thinks sitting in jail for witness tampering is justifiable or not, the judge apparently thought so.

One of the conditions of Manafort's house arrest was that he not commit any further crimes.

He made a poor choice.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:28 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Inmate phone calls are monitored regardless of who they are. Someone from the prosecution is not there listening, it is up to jail or prison staff to recognize something hinky or all calls are recorded and reviewed later. Though calls and visits with attorneys cannot be monitored or recorded.

As to how to keep them from doing so, you can't. I don't think keeping them in a cell before trial for a white collar crime, even if they have been accused (it has not been proven) of witness tampering, is justifiable. Prove the tampering in court by adding it to the list of indictments.
I’m sure the judge had a statement from the witness and his phone records. It’s not a proven as far as a trial but I’m sure she was convinced. She didn’t really want to take this action.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:29 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's truly laughable is that "neo-Nazis" don't have shoulder-length hair. They prefer... how shall we say it... skinheads.
Does this guy look like a skinhead to you?

That's Richard Spencer, the founder of the alt-right. So can we just stop this nonsense now?

(Picture courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_B._Spencer, and usage in my post is compliant with
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License).

Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Maybe it’s to help ensure he doesn’t, y’know, tamper with the witnesses any more? Seems self evident.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't. Jail cells before trials should be reserved for those who are a danger or actual flight risk. Do you actually think that a person like Manafort can't tamper with witnesses from inside a jail cell? If so, that is extremely naive because it happens all the time.
If he would have followed the rules he wouldn't be in there. He chose not to and that is what he gets just like if you did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies