Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 10:01 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

I’m surprised that more people don’t realize the point of Trump’s NFL bashing is to drive viewers to the XFL.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
And the whole ratings thing -- ratings are down across the board every where compared to years ago.

Has nothing to do with the protests.

Trend was there before.

And hey did you see that Eagles celebration -- they weren't all Democrats celebrating with the Eagles...so somebody is still supporting the NFL.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
And lets be real, all it has done is make more white people tired of the whining and turning the games off.. So has their protests really worked???
Speak for yourself. I live in a very pro-Eagles area (Northeast Pennsylvania...two hours north of Philly). Games were still packed on Sundays at local bars and restaurants and my social media feeds were filled with Eagles talk.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM

21 posts, read 18,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
I'm trying to be objective with this all, especially as someone who lives in Philly and is extremely proud of what the Eagles accomplished.

To me recollection, when a sports team was invited to the White House under the Obama administration, all the players showed up. Every single team who was invited went.

But now, in protest to Trump, players and teams (Golden State, Eagles) are opting out because of their dislike from President Trump and his policies. That in itself is making the visit political. It is important to remember that 74% of the NBA is black and 68% of the NFL is black. Lebron James and Steph Curry seemed more than happy to show up to the white house when Obama was president, but now, they refuse to go because the disagree with Trump's politics. If they were to put politics aside, they would put on a happy face and show up. Simple as that. So for those saying that the president is the only one making this political, try to be more objective. The President is more than willing to invite them, but players are injecting their politics into an amazing opportunity by refusing to go.

I am at the point where we should just get rid of these visits all together. They serve zero purpose. These athletes already get enough accolades to fill their egos. Why do they need the president's?
That maybe true.. I'm not sure but here's a link where other players did not show up to the white house
18 athletes who refused to visit the White House

If I don't agree with the things or the view of someone, I should have that options to decline a invitation.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
The need to redirect their protests if they want to make a real change within their community
What would you suggest?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Trump throwing his toys out of the pram again.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The need to redirect their protests if they want to make a real change within their community
What do you mean redirect?

Not sure.

Yes most definitely now they can't use kneeling at a football game to try and get people to notice.

But it would be awfully leadership impressive if our President recognized, acknowledged the concerns and talked about how his administration will work to change things.

Don't just spout the unemployment numbers -- because that's not osmething Trump has purposely worked on -- there is absolutely not one policy in this administration that has addressed the problems in some of these communities.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Business Insider:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...x7wGy1RujP-K3q

NFL ad revenue increased 2% YoY across all networks from September to November of this season, despite declining viewership, according to Adweek. Average game viewership fell to 15 million in early December, down from 16.5 million in the same month last year.
That's actually surprising, I thought revenues would be down.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
But you do realize that the lower viewership is costing the owners money, right??? You think Apple or Amazon are happy with 2% growth???
Yeah but lower viewership has been trending for some time -- so they adjust and make their money off of licensing, video games, ticket prices, etc.

NFL is not hurting -- the owners aren't hurting.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Agreed, it’s all just an empty gesture for attention. This nonsense started in 2016, as you can see, nothing has changed within these communities.

Turns out kneeling doesn’t stop the gun violence and crime rates in the inner cities. Imagine that.
A lot of these players do a heck of a lot more than just kneel. Many donate both time and money to charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies