Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know. How can the name he chose be just random? He's evidently a Chicano and therefore identified with the name. It's no coincidence for sure.
Unlike him I didnt chose the name to put doen others down or tell them where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They could be and often are mutually exclusive. You just stated you have divided loyalties . Or as you put it “care”.

Still denying that hyphenated Americanism is not the same as real Americanism undiluted by foreign loyalties and cares ?
So let's pretend you're actually right (you're not, but just pretend) - why would the US allow dual citizenship?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Says the guy whose handle is literally advertising his ethnic identity!! Gawd the irony - can’t make this stuff up.
What's wrong with someone identifying as Mexican-American? He's not the one here trying to exclude others.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:21 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Unlike him I didnt chose the name to put doen others down or tell them where they belong.

His forum name doesn't either. But let's face it you chose your forum name because of your identity with Latinos and La Raze. It tells me you are into identity politics. There is difference between a white, brown or a black supremacist.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
I didn’t say if your grandparents weren’t you’re not ...but more LIKELY not to be as assimilated and culturally American. National identity is multigenerational and inter generational ....right? I’m talking about foreign cultural values and beliefs and loyalties that might be rooted elsewhere rather than only America. No need to be touchy about it : you clearly misunderstood my comment.

Some might be . But you’re referring to assimilation and assuming that is completed as a process which isn’t valid- it’s not true or universal. And culturally and in terms of their values and ideals those are rooted elsewhere and shaped by those foreign influences. This doesn’t seem controversial to me as this has been extensively studied by social scientists for decades and well established to not be some kind of instantaneous event.

And do you actually think this country is about immigration? My god. That’s pretty crazy. So many people have no clue what the nation is or what it was created for. There’s a fair instance of not being a real American btw. Failing to grasp the point of the nation ....such as to think it exists for foreigners to migrate to. This is something all Americans used to know.

That’s commendable - I don’t know his story but on face value sure....but I still cannot agree that American-ness can be defined solely by military service. But allegiance can be demonstrated by a willingness to fight for a nation I suppose (there are of course lots of exceptions - no need to go into a lengthy discussion of the complicating motives of paid/professional soldiers or mercenaries or the possible other aspects inherent in foreign wars in this thread, I hope...very much OT)
Predictable pap coming from you. Yet another faux super patriot who claims to love his country, but dislikes, devalues and disdains most of the people who live in it.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:52 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
His forum name doesn't either. But let's face it you chose your forum name because of your identity with Latinos and La Raze. It tells me you are into identity politics. There is difference between a white, brown or a black supremacist.
Not really. I never thought that I was better than anyone else.

Supremacy is when you love your culture, but believe others to be inferior. Love your culture and share it with others and let them share theirs with you. To learn from one another is better than being a Xenophobic crackpot..

I don’t care for LaRaza movement. Hispanics/latinos are diverse. There’s no one color for us.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Con-man's gonna do what a con-man's gonna do. I think he appeals to the same group that believes John Wayne was a real war hero.
and Elvis is still alive.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, he doesn't appeal to Melania?
I don't think so.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
What I have discerned is that statements like this are usually made by folks who are not very bright, and are ignorant of the facts. But, please keep on with the "deplorable" ranting and raving. It helped President Trump get elected in 2016 and will help again in 2020.
"I love the poorly educated" Donald Trump

Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Yeah … but … but …. but Obama ….

Do republicans ever get tired of not defending Trump but instead try to blame others?
"Blame others" "republicans"? I'm a former Dem and don't like Trump, but after Obama released his Gitmo Terrorists to return to the battle fields, released money to the Iranian Mullahs to fund their Nuclear program, blamed the Terrorist attacks in Libya on an "Evil video", called the Fort hood and other Terrorist attacks in the US "Work place violence", Trump was by for the better choice when Hillary said she would continue Obama's ridiculous policies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies