Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 01:51 PM

18,655 posts, read 7,520,037 times

Advertisements

Miss USA Contest Removes Swimsuit Competition

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the Miss USA contests's viewership (and resulting sponsors' payments) won't diminish at all because of this.

And if Playboy magazine stopped printing its sexy pictures, and only showed women fully dressed, showing their talents and discussing serious subjects, that wouldn't affect their circulation either.

For the same reason: neither half of the human race has any particular interest seeing the other half scantily clad. Their interest is solely in the classy dresser, intellectually accomplished speaker, skilled professional etc.

There's no problem here, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 02:27 PM

482 posts, read 240,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
and Russian...
I actually am Russian.....lol

Both sides.....

Old 06-05-2018, 02:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,727,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm Libertarian, not Conservative, so I'm not sure I care what Trump and Ryan do. Is it progress. Sure, I'll give you that. The big problem I'm seeing is that many proponents of getting women to cover up are the same people who hide the crimes of Muslim Rape Gangs. I think turing 11, 12 and 13 year old girls into sex slaves raped as many as 50 times a day is a bigger issue than a bunch of aspiring super-models getting to pass on wearing a bikini and heels on stage. The political movement that got the swimsuit competition eliminated is the same movement that knowingly and actively ignored the Muslim Rape Gang crisis for 40+ years, all in the name of being inclusive and progressive. It's the Progressive Movement in both cases and it absolutely is political.

You will notice that Progressive media barely mentions Muslim Rape Gangs, but actively demonizes anyone calling attention to them. Democrats in the US avoid the issue. The Progressive mayor of London is right at ground zero for the problem and Sadiq Khan can't be bothered to say a word.
You are conflating objectification of women with the subjugation of women.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM

20,622 posts, read 19,271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Only teenage boys watched it anyway. Now THEY will flipping the channel to something else.

That is not the main audience. The fact that they are ditching the swimsuits should make it pretty obvious. Its simply that it will now be even less appealing to any other audience.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:09 PM

25,786 posts, read 16,422,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Stupid contest. Who watches it?!?!?!
Fewer people now for sure!

Old 06-05-2018, 03:11 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Miss America is scrapping its swimsuit competition, will no longer judge based on physical appearance

"We are no longer a pageant," Gretchen Carlson, the first former Miss America to be named chair of the Board of Trustees of the Miss America Organization, said on "GMA." "We are a competition."

In place of the swimsuit portion of the competition, Miss America contestants will now take part in a live interactive session with the judges, according to the organization.

"We’ve heard from a lot of young women who say, ‘We’d love to be a part of your program but we don’t want to be out there in high heels and a swimsuit,’ so guess what, you don’t have to do that anymore," Carlson said. "Who doesn’t want to be empowered, learn leadership skills and pay for college and be able to show the world who you are as a person from the inside of your soul."

She continued, "That’s what we’re judging them on now."

Based on where American culture is right now, this is not surprising.

And the interactive session will be a contest to see who can best articulate elite liberal talking points. I know that's not specified, but I thought I would fill that in as well.

No reason at all, to watch now.
Do they not realize, only men watched it... or were the majority of viewers.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,331,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I'm actually pretty charming in real life when I want to be. My mother says that I'm quite handsome too.

I've never had an issue crushing P. I was a good looking jock type in HS and just grew into the adult version of that..... (shrugs shoulders)
Jock type in HS. I guess that explains the horrible spelling in your posts.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:13 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,331,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
It's unlikely simply due to the fact that I display zero signs of a victim mentality.
A fat slug like that would most likely cherish women while putting the P on a pedestal.

I've never befriended a chick in my entire life. Literally every woman that I've ever spent time around in a 1 on 1 situation outside of work that I wasn't related to has been prey.

Victims don't talk like that ^
To be honest you sound like one of those loser incels.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:15 PM

1,704 posts, read 745,141 times
Ahh Man...Really?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:24 PM

17,507 posts, read 17,434,255 times
I’m a 49 year old straight man and I never watched this show. Don’t plan on starting anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies