Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
There's no need to open another store. Just make discrimination illegal and enforceable for all. Period.
It should be as simple as that. However, some people are not interested in that. We have to consider that some individuals want to discriminate against those who aren't of their race/ethnicity. This is why some people want it to be legal again. It has nothing to do with any actual freedom. If the free market was guaranteed to root out all discrimination, we wouldn't have needed lawsuits to stop it all. It took the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is no down side to making racial discrimination illegal. I certainly see no down side. I'm happy that it is illegal to discriminate based on race. If racial discrimination was made legal again, there would be people who would revive discrimination against certain groups. And as MPowering mentioned, it wouldn't stop at just retail. I'm happier with the current arrangement.
I assume you didn't read my earlier post on individualism and collectivism. It's the same downside as say, making hate speech illegal.

I really do think people have an oversimplified view on this debate. None of us arguing for discrimination to be legal support discrimination itself. I fully understand the anti-discrimination side, and could represent that side in a debate, even though I disagree with it. I don't see a reason to believe the same is true the other way around.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I assume you didn't read my earlier post on individualism and collectivism. It's the same downside as say, making hate speech illegal.

I really do think people have an oversimplified view on this debate. None of us arguing for discrimination to be legal support discrimination itself. I fully understand the anti-discrimination side, and could represent that side in a debate, even though I disagree with it. I don't see a reason to believe the same is true the other way around.
Ever heard of the 3 laws of robotics?

"A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

So think of the laws of a business.

A person's business cannot operate in such a way that affects another person's livelihood through discrimination. A person cannot interfere with another person's business in ways such as vandalism or loitering, or robbery. A person has the right to operate their business free of interference so long as it does not conflict with the first law.

So your free to operate your shop so long as you don't discriminate and I'm free to shop so long as I don't violate.

You get your money, add it to your savings for when you buy your kids a pool or take them to Disney World. I simply have a cold drink after a long day of work.. WHY IS ANYONE COMPLAINING? How petty does one have to be?

Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Just a regular customer and an uptight dirtwad whobdoesnt deaerve a buisiness license.
Well then, let him be an uptight dirtwad and don't support his business.

Quote:
Racism isn’t exclusive to white..
I just brought it up in case someone was going to pull the "you don't understand because you're white" card.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think you're in it so often, you have your own chair with your name on the back of it. That's why you get no recess.
The government ate his lunch!

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."

~Ron Swanson

Quote:
RON SWANSON: Lauren. My name is Ron Swanson. And I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about the miserable, screwed-up world of local government.
LAUREN BURKISS: You have mustard in your mustache.
RON: Don’t sass me Burkiss. … Life, liberty and property. John Locke.

[END SCENE]

RON: This is your lunch. Now … you should be able to do whatever you want with this, right? If you want to eat all of it, great. If you want to throw it all away in the garbage, that’s your prerogative. But here I come … the government. [Ron takes a big bite out of Lauren’s sandwich.] And I get to take 40 percent of your lunch. [Ron eats Lauren’s chips and takes a big sip from her juice box.] And that, Lauren, is how taxes work.
LAUREN: That’s not fair!
RON: You’re learning … Uh oh! … Capital gains tax. [Ron takes another chunk out of Lauren’s sandwich.]

[END SCENE]

RON: And that, Lauren, is how FDR ruined this country.
TEACHER: Lauren, ready to head back?
RON: Well, I guess it’s time for you to head home. I’ve really enjoyed talking with you. You are — and this is not a joke — much smarter than most of other people who work in this building.
LAUREN: I liked talking with you, too, Mr. Swanson.
RON: Ron … Hang on, hang on. I have something for you. This is a claymore land mine. Use that to protect your property.
LAUREN: Thanks, Ron!
RON: You got it. [smiles broadly]

[END SCENE]

LAUREN’S MOM: Are you Ron Swanson?
RON: I am.
LAUREN’S MOM: What exactly did you teach my daughter?
RON: Ahh … you must be Mrs. Burkiss.
LAUREN’S MOM: Lauren was supposed to do a paper on why government matters. This is what she wrote. [Slides paper on the desk.]
RON: [Grins, reads the paper] It doesn’t. Well said.
LAUREN’S MOM: Is this a joke?
RON: No, ma’am. I legitimately believe that. I’m a libertarian.
LAUREN’S MOM: Oh, that’s nice, but she’s a fourth-grader. And fourth-graders aren’t supposed to have their minds crammed full of weird ideas. They are supposed do cute reports and get gold stars
RON: I’m sorry …
LAUREN’S MOM: And you ate her lunch! And you gave her a land mine!? Really!?
RON: Well, it seemed appropriate at the time …
LAUREN’S MOM: How?!

[END SCENE]

RON [to Lauren]: All I’m saying is, keep an open mind for a while. Listen to your teachers, and read all the books you can. Then, when you’re 18, you can drink, gamble, and become a libertarian.
LAUREN: The drinking age is 21.
RON: I know. Another stupid government rule. … So you’ll write a new paper?
LAUREN: Yeah.
RON: Can you autograph this one for me?
LAUREN: Sure.
RON: [Smiles contently.]
[End of Show, roll ending credits.]

Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't hunt me down and kill me or force me to bake you a cake Chi. That's a good place to start.

Don't sass me No_Recess. & what s'matter? Did someone steal your land mine this morning?

Old 06-12-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Heart of Atlanta Motel vs. United States.

Katzenbach vs. McClung.

Two Southern businesses that discriminated against Black customers - and didn't suffer for business doing so.

Took the Supreme Court to rule that they were wrong. And we're better off for it.
The State & local Jim Crowe laws just codified what the neo-Confederates were already doing in backlash to losing the American Civil War.

https://ferris.edu/jimcrow/

Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia: Using objects of intolerance to teach tolerance and promote social justice.

(How the heck did Justice become a dirty word? Sheeesh.)

Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Ever heard of the 3 laws of robotics?

"A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

So think of the laws of a business.

A person's business cannot operate in such a way that affects another person's livelihood through discrimination. A person cannot interfere with another person's business in ways such as vandalism or loitering, or robbery. A person has the right to operate their business free of interference so long as it does not conflict with the first law.

So your free to operate your shop so long as you don't discriminate and I'm free to shop so long as I don't violate.

You get your money, add it to your savings for when you buy your kids a pool or take them to Disney World. I simply have a cold drink after a long day of work.. WHY IS ANYONE COMPLAINING? How petty does one have to be?
I disagree with the first law because discrimination isn't any kind of offensive attack. If you have something I want and you won't trade it to me, you're not attacking me. You may be a jerk in that situation, but not a criminal. It's a very Marxist mindset to believe I deserve something because I want or need it.

On the last paragraph, the problem is with consent. Even if they're being petty, that doesn't make it okay to take what belongs to them. A legitimate trade can't involve force from either side, or else you can't really call it "trade" anymore. It's a crime.

This principle holds true for any situation, which is why eminent domain is wrong, for example. They could even offer you more money than your house is worth, but if you don't accept the deal it's still theft...even if you're being irrational.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The government ate his lunch!

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."

~Ron Swanson

LOL, man I loved that show!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:25 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Don't sass me No_Recess. & what s'matter? Did someone steal your land mine this morning?
Yeah, someone did. You're suspect #1 since you advocate theft.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies