Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,360,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
To quote Thom Hartmann, Libertarians are Republicans who want to smoke dope and get laid.

Now when self-identified Libertarians like Rand or Ron Paul oppose civil rights laws because they believe it infringes on the the liberty of freedom of association, to a person of that group who gets excluded because of that adherance to that oh-so-mighty principle - that's a distinction without a difference.

To that I can say, "What about my liberty to be able to purchase a gallon of milk and bread? Getting a meal to eat? Being able to stay at a hotel when I need a place to sleep?"
You have the liberty to produce milk, bread, a meal, and a place to sleep for yourself, and no one should infringe on that liberty. You don't have the right to someone else's milk, bread, meal, or place to sleep. Pretty straightforward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
To that, the libertarian lapdogs will likely respond, 'Don't Tread On My Right To Tread On You!

Their loopy logic goes 'round & 'round.

Ron & Rand Paul bring in the marks for the Mercer & Koch families to fleece.
You aren't treading on anyone when you refuse to sell them the fruits of your labor.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,128,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
To that, the libertarian lapdogs will likely respond, 'Don't Tread On My Right To Tread On You!

Their loopy logic goes 'round & 'round.

Ron & Rand Paul bring in the marks for the Mercer & Koch families to fleece.
Why do you wish to use violence on people who wish to exercise their right of free association and their property rights?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You aren't treading on anyone when you refuse to sell them the fruits of your labor.
The irony is he wants the State to tread on peaceful business owners.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:16 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,360,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well what about the vegetables of your labor? No one ever talks about those.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,385,739 times
For the libertarians here, a good book to read is The Warmth of Other Suns about the great migration of blacks from south to north during the 20th century.

The author conducted detailed interviews of people who had migrated in that era. One of them was a black physician who moved from GA to California, IIRC in the 1950s. It's interesting (and appalling) to read about his journey, and his futile efforts to rent motel rooms along the way. Even sympathetic motel owners wouldn't let him in, because they said that other owners would cause problems for them if found out.

I am libertarian-oriented myself, but sometimes there is a need to look at things pragmatically.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
For the libertarians here, a good book to read is The Warmth of Other Suns about the great migration of blacks from south to north during the 20th century.

The author conducted detailed interviews of people who had migrated in that era. One of them was a black physician who moved from GA to California, IIRC in the 1950s. It's interesting (and appalling) to read about his journey, and his futile efforts to rent motel rooms along the way. Even sympathetic motel owners wouldn't let him in, because they said that other owners would cause problems for them if found out.

I am libertarian-oriented myself, but sometimes there is a need to look at things pragmatically.
Segregation and Jim Crow were State-mandated. The governments forced business owners to serve only white people, and made it extremely difficult for blacks to own businesses.

Government-mandated segregation and free association/property rights have nothing to do with each other, since the latter is voluntary.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Well what about the vegetables of your labor? No one ever talks about those.
Too bad I have to uphold the NAP or else I'd take a swing at ya.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
She, like all other statists, simply suspend the moral and logical consistency when it comes to government.

I can't steal but if two or more people get together and say they're a government then they can steal...and it's not stealing...it's taxation.

Man I'm glad I got over that mental block.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The irony is what the Koch & Mercer famiiies libertarian lapdog says about States' Rights & including the regulation of social matters like sex (he's all for it):

Quote:
...Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states’ rights — rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards. But rather than applying the real Constitution and declining jurisdiction over a properly state matter, the Court decided to apply the imaginary Constitution and impose its vision on the people of Texas. ...
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2003/08/...-constitution/

What a ridiculous totalitarian bloviator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies