Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Participation with the NFL Games
I'm done with the NFL 42 37.50%
I'm a fan. Bring it on 40 35.71%
I'll watch some games 14 12.50%
I'll watch only my team 16 14.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

Vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:26 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
More of a Rugby guy, but I'll watch a few games, it' seems to be the only think on tv on the weekends when the cooler weather moves in.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Just dropped $5K a few months ago to renew my season tickets.

I'm a veteran and I don't care if people sit or stand for the anthem. That freedom is what makes this country great, not flag worship.

If you REALLY want to honor our veterans, get them quality healthcare and get thousands of them off the streets.

Standing up for the anthem at an NFL game does nothing to help our veterans, it just makes you feel better about yourself.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Meh.

The NFL lost my interest years ago when it dawned on me that the average game was 15 minutes of real action in a 1 hour game stretched over 3 hours with commercials. Everyone is free to spend their time as they see fit, but I couldn't justify that anymore.

The nail in the coffin, though, was this silly kneeling during the anthem issue. Stand or kneel - I don't care - just don't be actually disrespectful. And, no, I don't consider kneeling disrespectful - heck, people do that in church and in front of kings, graves, etc. But the NFL needs to stow the false morality. I'm tired of them pretending to be some upstanding example of "real American values" when you look at the crud they tolerate provided it helps their bottom line:
- Ray Rice = punched out his fiance, almost go away with it, until the video went viral and the NFL was forced to act
- Ray Lewis = stabby, stabby!
- Mike Vick = bets on dogs killing each other for fun; rehired by the NFL as soon as he was out of prison
- Deflategate = cheating is fine, if it's not too obvious and doesn't impact sales

And those are just the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. The point is the NFL is a sleazy big business, like so many of them, and will gladly turn a blind eye towards almost any bad behavior if it helps their bottom line. But now this kneeling during the anthem thing is hurting sales, so they have the hypocritical nerve to pretend to be virtuous to justify punishing the kneeling players? Get real! If kneeling during the anthem had helped sales, they'd be requiring it!

I've get better things to do with my time than spend 3 hours a game and better things to do with my money than fund some sleazy, hypocritical sports company like the NFL.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I can't wait for the season, both college and NFL. Hell, I wish they'd bring back the USFL!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

I'm a veteran and I don't care if people sit or stand for the anthem. That freedom is what makes this country great, not flag worship.

If you REALLY want to honor our veterans, get them quality healthcare and get thousands of them off the streets.

Standing up for the anthem at an NFL game does nothing to help our veterans, it just makes you feel better about yourself.
Thank you for your service and this post! The bolded part bears repeating every day.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

True, and I would say the same thing about players who are taking a knee. If they really want to see change, DO something. Taking a knee does nothing to help black males being murdered by cops, it just makes players feel better about themselves.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:17 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
I will continue to watch the NFL....as long as if it's against the vitriolic agenda of President Cheeto Bonespurs that is !

Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm not a huge football fan, but I do watch when my Steelers play. Nothing has changed for me, I don't let the kneeling or any of that affect the game for me.

When I go to a lot of events, they play the national anthem, and a lot of people take off their hats and hold their hand over their heart, but a lot just go about their business and ignore what is happening. I especially see this at places like the drag races, where some fans are getting food or just walking around while the anthem is being played.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Rams all the way in 2018 baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies