Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:33 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ok, so neither the White House nor Canadian officials have made any comment about this story thus far. So all we have is this story, apparently originating from CNN, about Trump bringing up the war of 1812 in a telephone conversation with Trudeau. Does Donald Trump routinely have CNN staffers sitting in his office, listening in on his phone conversations with foreign leaders? Where did this revelation come from? Very little substance here in my opinion. Personally I'd like to see a little more information and an actual source for this information before I cast judgement.

Also, do we also know what Trudeau said to Trump just before this supposed comment was made? Has anyone in Canada put out a transcript of Trudeau's comments? In a normal conversation, two people are talking. Without knowing what one said to the other, we can't put anything one person says into context. Know what I mean? For all we know this could have been an off-hand comment, or joke, addressing something Trudeau said to Trump. The key is, we don't know. So trying to form a real opinion about this should be more difficult than it was for the OP in my opinion.

Careful now, you're going to ruin lefties wet dream....

Old 06-06-2018, 03:36 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
CNN has a history of reporting Trumps calls accurately. It seems like they have a source of information.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:37 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
So are the people at CNN. At least they're equally matched.

CNN has shown themselves to be even lower IQ on many occasions.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:42 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Some Canadian units, made up of mostly French prisoners of war called the Independent Companies of Foreigners, took part in this, the Chesapeake Campaign:

https://history.army.mil/html/books/...mhPub_74-5.pdf

One of the highlights of the Campaign was..................the attack on Washington, DC and the burning of various government buildings, to include the White House.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:44 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Besides all the hoopla whether true or false and most likely false, Canada didn't gain any kind of independence from Great Britain until 1867. They were part of the British empire and officially they didn't become an independent country until 1982.

So even if Trump did equate Canadians with the British, they were one and the same in 1812.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:45 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ok, so neither the White House nor Canadian officials have made any comment about this story thus far. So all we have is this story, apparently originating from CNN, about Trump bringing up the war of 1812 in a telephone conversation with Trudeau. Does Donald Trump routinely have CNN staffers sitting in his office, listening in on his phone conversations with foreign leaders? Where did this revelation come from? Very little substance here in my opinion. Personally I'd like to see a little more information and an actual source for this information before I cast judgement.

Also, do we also know what Trudeau said to Trump just before this supposed comment was made? Has anyone in Canada put out a transcript of Trudeau's comments? In a normal conversation, two people are talking. Without knowing what one said to the other, we can't put anything one person says into context. Know what I mean? For all we know this could have been an off-hand comment, or joke, addressing something Trudeau said to Trump. The key is, we don't know. So trying to form a real opinion about this should be more difficult than it was for the OP in my opinion.
For all the CNN Derangement Syndrome that is out there, CNN has consistently been proven right in their reporting. With all due respect, killing the messenger is getting old.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
So asked our fearless leader to Justin Trudeau of Canada.

No words can describe how pathetic that is.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-house-tariffs
Maybe he just has a foggy memory or he is senile.

Either presumption would explain a lot !

Old 06-06-2018, 04:00 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Besides all the hoopla whether true or false and most likely false, Canada didn't gain any kind of independence from Great Britain until 1867. They were part of the British empire and officially they didn't become an independent country until 1982.

So even if Trump did equate Canadians with the British, they were one and the same in 1812.
You Trump apologists are incredible !

Old 06-06-2018, 04:03 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:

How sad that it took until post 16 for someone to bring that up

Quote:
The sovereign is the personification of the Canadian state and is Queen of Canada as a matter of constitutional law. The current Canadian monarch is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 6 February 1952. Elizabeth's eldest son, Prince Charles, is heir apparent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Canada

Note to the mods--you can go ahead and close this thread since the OP is based on a false narrative

Old 06-06-2018, 04:03 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You Trump apologists are incredible !

No, I'll give Trump his lumps when he deserves it. He doesn't deserve it for saying Canadians and British were the same thing in 1812 because they were. George Washington and Jefferson were British as well before 1776.

You need to do better than to make up lies or twist history to suit your cause because it doesn't go unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies