Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:59 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'd rather live around people who have the same core values I have. Nothing else matters, as far as I'm concerned.
Ditto. It's not about the colour of anyone's skin, but I want to live around people who have the same moral values, work ethic, and lifestyle as myself. So no out of wedlock or noisy out of control children, no baby momma/player dramas, being hard working (not slackers), considerate, no frequent loud parties, no cigarette smoking... you get the picture. And yes, I want my neighbors to speak English as their primary language.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Looking at a previous thread, Felt this was a good follow up to it.
Is it better to be around the same race? Or like minded people? For example, a geoup of people who enjoy cars or gaming, or music. But you might be a minority in terms of race within that group.
MOst important is being around people who share my culture and religion, race doesn't matter. I am Asian American by race but culturally I'm more like the typical white Southerner than the typical Asian American though Asians in the South tend to be more assimilated into American culture than those in California or the Northeast.

Living where the majority if Christian, preferably Protestant, is extremely important to me. I also prefer to live in an area where Republicans have complete dominance to the extent where they don't ever have to compromise with liberals or Democrats. In my immediate this is indeed true. We control every seat on the parish council and every seat on the city council and there's simply no way a liberal can conceivably win an election here.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:08 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
People can say what they like, but living patterns show that most people want to live near people who look like themselves. And white liberals really narrow it down by wanting to live near people who are the same race as them and share their political views.
I'll agree with that. I am pretty conservative, as is the majority of my state, but the town I had to live in for my job, they're crazy enough to have voted for AOC .

Outside city limits is better, but only to about the level of a Pelosi, so still not optimal. Every year the taxes go up, the services go down. It had such a monochromatic culture that attacked anyone with a different point of view at the drop of a hat. Jobs were allocated by priority first to the proper minority, then to females, and if the had no choice, a qualified white male might get a shot.
And yes, there is the proper allowance of the right kind of politically correct minorities in town.

I was able to retire 8 years early, so I bought a retirement place where my nearest neighbor is a mile and a half away, no neighbors within 5 miles on the other 3 sides. It's 10 miles to the nearest town, and only 232 people in that town, and it's 40 miles to the nearest town of 1200.

Lots of diversity in the area, mostly folks of Norwegian and Swedish heritage, but a lot of Germans, some Swiss and English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Cornish too. A minority of Serbian and Croatians, even a few Poles and just a smattering of Finns, Danes, and one onery Frenchman.

Several Indian tribes in the area, several different churches including Amish, Mennonite and Hutteran Bretheran. Got the standard Methodist, Catholic, Lutheran and a few of the smaller churches.
For an area with so few people, we got diversity coming out our ears.

Most of the folks there are very independent and of libertarian bent politically. Most come from families that have been in the area to generations. If there's an issue in the city or county, if its government in nature, the mayor and county commissioners meet every morning, 7 days a week at the only cafe in town and if you need to talk to them, grab a cup of coffee and join them for breakfast. If a neighbor needs help, folks will travel from across the county to pitch in.

It's not just a town or county there, its a community that you join when you move there. You have to be willing to work and provide for yourself and care for your family, be willing to pitch in if a neighbor needs help, come to local functions like an annual church dinner or support the count fair. You should be willing to buy a cup of coffee for a friend or neighbor once in a while, if you're having a bar b que, make sure you have enough food for others that will drop in if they can smell it on the breeze. If there's a wedding or anniversary dance, or a birthday, make sure to stop by even if you didn't get an invite in the mail. Bring a hot dish for the potluck, go to the local school games even if you don't care for the sport, bid on kids projects at the 4H fair, in other words, join the family because that's what those kind of communities are.

I've lived in major cities all over the country, lived in Europe and Asia, there's no place that holds a candle to this sleepy little backwater town on the prairie where folks may not always agree with you, but they treat you with respect. They let you live your life, and ask you let them do the same. It's a little bit of heaven to me.

Sorry for the length of this post, but the op's question was so limited, it really didn't give any options aside from being an Iconoclast or a bigot which is a long way from how most people find their ideal place in the sun.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:18 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Is it better to be around the same race? Or like minded people? For example, a geoup of people who enjoy cars or gaming, or music. But you might be a minority in terms of race within that group.
Live around and associate with strongly are two different questions.

I don't care who lives around me, and don't mind different looking or thinking people around me (in fact, I think that's great).

The people I associate with most are interested in the same things that I'm interested in (mostly activities, and never related to someone's politics). How people look never affects my choice to associate with them or not.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:39 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Like minded people, hands down.
^^^^ THIS!

Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 AM

999 posts, read 553,800 times
I prefer to be politically aligned with my state as a whole. I decided to permanently stay in California for this reason. I hated when I lived in the South was always on the losing side of votes.

If you mean the people in my neighborhood, I don't really care as I'm not the most social person anyway. As long as everyone is reasonably sane/friendly/respectful and isn't a psychopathic murderer or building a meth lab in their house, what they do or believe is their own business.

If you mean my friend/acquaintances, I'm only interested in like-minded people. I am not very social as I said, and I find forcing friendships with people I don't have much in common with to be very draining. Differences can be okay sometimes as long as there are very strong connections to bind us, but I don't really want to be around people who see the world in a completely different way than I do, and I don't tolerate any sort of racism or bigotry against the LGBTQ community. Those are hard limits for me.

As far as race, I'm mixed, so I've never identified with being "a race" anyway. I've always just felt like a human, and I don't care what race other people are.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
People can say what they like, but living patterns show that most people want to live near people who look like themselves.
Minorities don't have that luxury. You're either too poor to move, or you're so succesful all your neighbors are white. There's only a handful of expensive neighborhoods that are majority black, asian, or hispanic.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:03 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I don't care who lives nearby as long as they don't make a lot of noise. I hate a lot of noise. Anything else I can deal with

Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I don't care at all if they look like me. I'm white living in a 85% Hispanic neighborhood and I have no problem with that. I don't care if they think like me, they can think whatever they want.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:20 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:

I don't have that option, because no one is like me. So I'll just take good people as they come and find what there is to enjoy about their company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies