Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:14 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How are Millennials gonna procure decent work when Boomers are in the jobs that Millennials would get if Gen X got promoted to the jobs that Boomers were supposed to vacate already?

See how the crap all rolls downhill?

And, it's not a criticism of the Boomers because it's not their fault that the economy tanked and screwed up their 401k accounts.

But, calling folks lazy and stupid because they cannot get a job when your generation could find jobs EVERYWHERE quite easily is just hilarious.
Do you hear yourself? I am embarrassed FOR you. First of all, we, the YOUNGEST BBs are 53-54 years old, friend. We have 15 years left of working if we want to do that.
Second, I can tell you for a fact that if my spouse, brother, and brother-in-law (all BBs), quit today, there is literally a handful of qualified people to replace them. In the case of my own spouse, there are at most a couple dozen people in the country. They have had job openings up for YEARS with no quality candidates- Gen X or millennials. So please don’t think if we “vacate” jobs, millennials an fill them, because they can’t.
Those gender studies and art history degrees are worthless.

Last edited by Sharpydove; 06-07-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 05:17 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Good for her. Congratulations. Is owning a possibility other than renting ?

Doing what you enjoy and makes you happy has got to be a priority. Sometimes it takes enough $ to make that happen and 20k owning a home is way better than 30k and renting.

Glad to hear you don't fall for the marketing and the latest gadget b.s.
Thanks. Owning here is probably not an option for an ordinary person(Los Angeles).

Since she's younger she's got a long way to go still and she's continuing school. So I know she'll do well.

And yeah, it takes alot of time and determination to get the career you want.

Interesting thing is that I initially started working with a small production group in North Hollywood. This dude who is probably a year older than me ran a recording studio and started a small company. We made beats an I did alot of the graphics for them and their clients. We were always talking about blowing up and getting big. Industry was screwed up though.
We released a song that made us kind of big on social media. That has been our platform since day one. Instagram and Twitter. Now my friend runs his own business in his own building. Use to be a message parlor and we turned it into a multipurpose studio with a dance hall multiple rooms and a rooftop. Most of us are no older than 30. They still give me work here and there. Mostly freelance.

As for gadgets. With the work that I do, it helps to have the best. But just because you have the best phone doesn't mean your gonna do better work. If it functions, that's great.

The two best things that I bought for myself and paid were my own car, and finally getting my own high end computer which helps for my 3D renders. Use to work off a laptop for years. Eventually I found a good deal.

Invest in stuff that can better yourself, better your work. Not stuff that is trendy. Because trends fall and fools fall with it.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I heard enough jobs for all of us -- what are you all moaning about.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Thanks. Owning here is probably not an option for an ordinary person(Los Angeles).

Since she's younger she's got a long way to go still and she's continuing school. So I know she'll do well.

And yeah, it takes alot of time and determination to get the career you want.

Interesting thing is that I initially started working with a small production group in North Hollywood. This dude who is probably a year older than me ran a recording studio and started a small company. We made beats an I did alot of the graphics for them and their clients. We were always talking about blowing up and getting big. Industry was screwed up though.
We released a song that made us kind of big on social media. That has been our platform since day one. Instagram and Twitter. Now my friend runs his own business in his own building. Use to be a message parlor and we turned it into a multipurpose studio with a dance hall multiple rooms and a rooftop. Most of us are no older than 30. They still give me work here and there. Mostly freelance.

As for gadgets. With the work that I do, it helps to have the best. But just because you have the best phone doesn't mean your gonna do better work. If it functions, that's great.

The two best things that I bought for myself and paid were my own car, and finally getting my own high end computer which helps for my 3D renders. Use to work off a laptop for years. Eventually I found a good deal.

Invest in stuff that can better yourself, better your work. Not stuff that is trendy. Because trends fall and fools fall with it.
L.A. is a tough place to get started, but not impossible.

100% correct. Investing in tools and/or education for your career should turn out to be the best $ you ever spent.

Good luck to you and her

Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
Boomers have been a plague of locust. Some of the best economic times ever and we have massive debt, massive deficits and failing infrastructure. Love those wars and tax cuts though.

You'll get yours though. **** the environment and everyone else that has to clean up the huge pile of ****.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Boomers just had the good fortune to have spent most of their working years in a decent economy and to come out of high school or college with an economy where there were plenty of jobs.
On what planet? Talk about revisionist history.

I graduated from college in 1981. I searched for two months for a job in my field; when I found it, I was laid off three months later after the company was sold and the new owner cut positions. I got a new job right away; I was laid off from that job a year later in the aftermath of the massive contraction of industry in northeast Ohio, and stood in line at the unemployment office with auto and steel workers.

Quote:
I don't care how long y'all decide to work. Just quit sitting there in jobs that other people could take if you'd retire and complaining about how the people who couldn't take those jobs because so many Boomers didn't retire are struggling to find jobs.
I'm sorry?

I'm supposed to quit my job so someone else can have it?

And what am I supposed to do for income? I'm not old enough for Social Security, and that wouldn't pay my bills anyway.

Sorry to disappoint all you young folk, but I'll be working until I'm at least 70 hopefully in my chosen field.

That's 11 more years. Plan accordingly.

Quote:
I get that people can have it tough, but Millennials (and I am not one) have had it tough for ALL of their working lives.

Not the case for Boomers or even for Gen X.
Of the 11 jobs I've had in the past 38 years, 9 of them have been in positions that were cut because of lack of funding, be that private for-profit employers trying to strengthen the bottom line, or non-profit employers who lost a major funder - usually government or United Way. For-profit employers experienced a fall-off in business as the economy worsened. The non-profit funders are strongly tied to economy and wages.

So, I call bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Very tail end of the boomers here and out of high school, my factory job paid 3.25/hr. and that was not too bad for the times.
My first job - with a college degree - paid $4 an hour. That was in 1981. I switched jobs and made $4.40. Woo-hoo. I didn't earn more than $10,000/year until 1986 when I got a promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I always enjoy seeing how a different generation always seems to forget the nearly decade long series of recessions coupled with historically high interest rates and double digit inflation and unemployment that was the 1970s into the 80s. Not to mention the almost total disappearance of entire sectors of the US economy.
It seemed, in the 80s, like every time things picked up, a year later the economy would tank again. Every recovery was short lived until another industry contracted, and the domino effect affected everyone.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 06-07-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
The 80's were tough times....those interest rates, no jobs.....yikes.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What was the specific legislation that forced corporations to cut pensions?

And did it become law while Obama had the two years of a dem congress or the six years of a republican congress?

It happened when he was at Martha’s Vineyard

Old 06-07-2018, 06:34 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It happened when he was at Martha’s Vineyard
What a pitiful response.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The 80's were tough times....those interest rates, no jobs.....yikes.
Yep. The first house I bought was 10% interest rate. Held on to it for 7 years and sold it for the same I bought. Terrible investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies