Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Ummm...

My point was that there IS an opioid/heroin epidemic right now, even though they are "illegal," and decriminalizing them won't make it worse--in fact it will get better since the addicts could get their supplies from reputable businesses.

Sugar may not, but alcohol sure can. Do you advocate for a return to alcohol prohibition?

Shame about your last sentence though, as I enjoy many of your posts and respect your consistency.
But if its legal what will the drug cartels do for employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Says who?
Me. Also watch the abortion threads. Every time I suggest we make it less hard on the poor so there is less of a need for abortion, I largely lose the pro-life crowd.

It isn't going to happen.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Cory Gardner is desperate trying to keep his Senate job in a state that is turning Blue on the national level. Crossing the line into the Democratic side is one of the ways he's trying to attract and maintain his base.
As an actual resident of CO, I can tell you that the state isn't really "blue;" it's purple.

What's considered "conservative" here is really right-libertarian, as evidenced by the majority of GOP voters here voting yes on Amendment 64.

Conversely, what is considered "liberal" here is really center-left-libertarian (except for Boulder), as evidenced by the many Democrat gun owners here.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry if I misread.
It happens. Nuance helps.

Quote:
The things that will kill you with alcohol are largely illegal. Does it still happen? Yes but far more would drive drunk if it was not illegal.
How do you know that? Just because something's "legal" doesn't mean all of a sudden there will be an epidemic of it. See the very small increase of MJ use here in CO after legalization.

Quote:
If you are unable to come up with real answers what exactly do you expect? The problem here isn't with me.
What's wrong with my answers? That prohibition never has worked and never will?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
They're already successful entrepreneurs; I'm sure they'll think of something.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:07 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Really?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
It happens. Nuance helps.

How do you know that? Just because something's "legal" doesn't mean all of a sudden there will be an epidemic of it. See the very small increase of MJ use here in CO after legalization.
Here we go. The threat of arrest most certainly curtails people from driving inebriated.

Quote:
What's wrong with my answers? That prohibition never has worked and never will?
Doing something that leads to the death of another has never been legal.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The Constitution does allow the feds to pre-empt state/local law.
Only where the Feds have explicit authorization from the Constitution to regulate the activity/material in question.

On MJ, they have none. Never had any.

The Federal laws against pot are unconstitutional, and always have been. Only the states and local govts can regulate it if they want to.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:13 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Don't support it. And if these states wanted support, they wouldn't have passed their legalizing/regulation laws in contravention of congressional legislation.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Only where the Feds have explicit authorization from the Constitution to regulate the activity/material in question.

On MJ, they have none. Never had any.

The Federal laws against pot are unconstitutional, and always have been. Only the states and local govts can regulate it if they want to.
Under our Constitution and constitutional system, the Supreme Court and inferior courts established by congress hold the judicial power (i.e. the power to interpret and apply the law). And, like it or not, the Supreme Court has ruled that such laws are constitutional. Now, as much as I am against pot legalization, I believe that the Supreme Court got this wrong. But they still ruled this way, which means that it is "constitutional," regardless of what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies