Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It really jumped since November 8th, 2016.
Keeping it as classy as school on Xmas, I see.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:37 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
There’s far more economic insecurity now than in 1999. Poverty and unemployment lead to depression, anxiety, and suicide for some, especially if they don’t have access to mental health care.

Back in 1999, only teenagers worked at McDonald’s. Now many people rely on minimum wage jobs just to survive. I’m actually amazed that the suicide rate hasn’t doubled or tripled since ‘99.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It really jumped since November 8th, 2016.

Ever considered supporting an allegation with actual facts?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:40 PM

482 posts, read 242,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
That is so sad and I think a lot of it is because people can't pay for mental health.
Nah, it's from people who came back broken from the two wars. I read an article a few years ago about it.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:12 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
It is obviously appalling news.

One of my nephews shall forever be 30, since 6 years ago he sat and watched a basketball game at his parents house, then excused himself, obtained his father's rifle, and committed suicide in their driveway. "Why" shall always be our question. Obviously, his parents are basically broken to this day.

Some 30 years ago (how time flies), a close friend of mine ended his life. Bob was obviously a 'closet' homosexual (as we called them back in those days), but his friends, including myself, did not care (meaning, he claimed to like women, yet we all said "You bet, Bob!", but winked to each other). Yet, Bob seemed to have cared very much about how he would have been viewed by society, and so took his own life. It is, of course, speculation on my part. But, I knew Bob very well.

Indeed, I believe that my nephew was also gay. True, he had a wife (from whom he was separated) and a five year old boy, but it was obvious that he enjoyed the company of his male friends. My sister, his mother, is, and was, a rather strict 'Christian', and I believe he could not face admitting his sexual preference to her. I have never suggested such to her, of course, and have readily agreed with her opinion that his taking steroids to build his muscles was to blame (which I cannot, in truth, utterly reject).

45,000 people felt, in 2016, that life was so unbearable that they must end their life. I abhor those that even suggest that 'politics' was involved. Rather, we have 45,000 stories that ended in grief. How we can change those stories, I do not pretend to know.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:21 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is obviously appalling news.

One of my nephews shall forever be 30, since 6 years ago he sat and watched a basketball game at his parents house, then excused himself, obtained his father's rifle, and committed suicide in their driveway. "Why" shall always be our question. Obviously, his parents are basically broken to this day.

Some 30 years ago (how time flies), a close friend of mine ended his life. Bob was obviously a 'closet' homosexual (as we called them back in those days), but his friends, including myself, did not care (meaning, he claimed to like women, yet we all said "You bet, Bob!", but winked to each other). Yet, Bob seemed to have cared very much about how he would have been viewed by society, and so took his own life. It is, of course, speculation on my part. But, I knew Bob very well.

Indeed, I believe that my nephew was also gay. True, he had a wife (from whom he was separated) and a five year old boy, but it was obvious that he enjoyed the company of his male friends. My sister, his mother, is, and was, a rather strict 'Christian', and I believe he could not face admitting his sexual preference to her. I have never suggested such to her, of course, and have readily agreed with her opinion that his taking steroids to build his muscles was to blame (which I cannot, in truth, utterly reject).

45,000 people felt, in 2016, that life was so unbearable that they must end their life. I abhor those that even suggest that 'politics' was involved. Rather, we have 45,000 stories that ended in grief. How we can change those stories, I do not pretend to know.
My best friend is dead just over a year. His death was not a Suicide per say, he died from Sclerosis of the liver. My friend Carl had know for several years he should have quit drinking but did not. So in the end he drank him self to death. To a degree a form of Suicide. What was so bad in his life that he felt that he had to constantly drink his problems away.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Geographic clusters are common among teens.

My zip code experienced such a cluster a few years ago. Stepping in front of a commuter train was the preferred method.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
My best friend is dead just over a year. His death was not a Suicide per say, he died from Sclerosis of the liver. My friend Carl had know for several years he should have quit drinking but did not. So in the end he drank him self to death. To a degree a form of Suicide. What was so bad in his life that he felt that he had to constantly drink his problems away.

Yes, I have known, and know now, individuals in that situation. Sadly, as part of my job, I review medical records of hundreds, if not thousands, of such people.

There is no simple answer. It is not political, in essence. I will never 'blame' President Trump, or prior Presidents. It appears that the more people reach out via Social Media, for instance, the more they feel their lives are worthless. We seem to have youth that think their own worth is measured by 'likes' or such, and they are driven into depression.

I did not have that stress growing up. If a person did not like you, they did not speak to you. No phones or social media involved.

This is a sad thread. Goodnight.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:45 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
If we actually wanted to lower the rate of suicide, it is easy. All you have to do is understand why people kill themselves. And especially, to look at the areas/groups with the lowest suicide rates, understand what they have in common, and then promote that kind of life.

But the truth is, we don't actually care about suicide at all. And the reason suicide has risen is because almost all of the causes of suicide, have only worsened in what you might call the "modern world".

Feeling of hopelessness, meaninglessness, isolation/loneliness, drug-abuse, bad or unhealthy relationships, etc. What have we done in the last 50 years about any of these things? Nothing. And we continue to make things worse.

Grats on your cell phones. I hope you all kill yourselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/o...ss-health.html

Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I've not known anyone who has had cirrhosis of the liver, but it's probably painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies