Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times

Advertisements

Tobacco isn't safe. Lead paint isn't safe. Not a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have a relative with asbestos insulation on pipes in perfect condition, the removal process is where the danger lies.
I sold a house years ago that had pipes with asbestos insulation. I did not have to replace the insulation but covered it with special covering insulating tape. That was an easy job and only took 2-3 hours, but even so I wore coveralls, gloves, face mask, goggles and a cap. All were sacked up and given to the city to dispose of.

Can you even sell a house that has blown in asbestos insulation in the attic?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Actually, in NYC in the 90's the mob having influence on this at least locally is not beyond the realm of possibility.
They influenced lots of things. Trash collection for one. That isn't a reason to no longer collect trash.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Posted about it here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/52127805-post1655.html

It's certainly strange that this is a thing. I don't get into tin foil hat land often, but this is just a strange "coincidence".

Russian scientist hopes that US President-elect Trump will “restore order in asbestos”*|*RightOnCanada.ca

Quote:
Trump dismisses the scientific evidence of harm caused by asbestos, claiming that asbestos is “100 percent safe, once applied” and that “the movement against asbestos was led by the mob.”

Russia is by far the biggest producer and exporter of asbestos in the world and the Russian government is waging an aggressive campaign to continue shipping asbestos to countries in the global South, particularly Asia.

Russia is also leading efforts to block the listing of chrysotile asbestos as a hazardous substance at United Nations Rotterdam Convention meetings. Chrysotile asbestos represents 100% of the global asbestos trade. Trump’s support for asbestos will be greatly welcomed by the Russian government and the Russian asbestos industry.
Then:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business...rong-in-russia

And:

https://www.asbestos.com/news/2013/0...s-economy/amp/

Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't know what to think of this article. Asbestos isn't a chemical, it's a fiber.
a NATURAL fiber

which is perfectly safe, if you don't mess with it, work with it wet, and apply it...yes it is safe
\
but mess with it and make a dust or dust particles.... say goodnight Gracie

Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

That is whole other problem... I wouldn't touch that house with a ten foot pole. The best way to address asbestos is in place, cap it or whatever unless of course you need to demo it for other reasons. You can;t really do that with blown in insulation and removal is the only remedy.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Its all about money. The mob thing is a canard.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:48 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I sold a house years ago that had pipes with asbestos insulation. I did not have to replace the insulation but covered it with special covering insulating tape. That was an easy job and only took 2-3 hours, but even so I wore coveralls, gloves, face mask, goggles and a cap. All were sacked up and given to the city to dispose of.

in all my years of home-improvement, never have seen blown in asbestos insulation.....have seen blown in fiberglass though... have seen asbestos used around the chimney, and the heating vents from the furnace

Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They influenced lots of things. Trash collection for one. That isn't a reason to no longer collect trash.

I'm not saying it should be ignored but just because you hear the word asbestos that is no reason get all freaked out about it either. Asbestos in homes or a building needs to be taken on case by case basis. If you have asbestos insulated pipes and the condition is good you have to be a moron to go screwing with it unless you are improving it's containment.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it should be ignored but just because you hear the word asbestos that is no reason get all freaked out about it either. Asbestos in homes or a building needs to be taken on case by case basis. If you have asbestos insulated pipes and the condition is good you have to be a moron to go screwing with it unless you are improving it's containment.
I agree, I was just pointing out that Trump's reasoning (if it even is) would be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies