Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:02 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,927,345 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Las Vegas for a few months as well as St Louis and Memphis. The only one that fits in the lists is Memphis. St Louis and Las Vegas are large enough for the good to offset the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 AM

1,874 posts, read 814,803 times
1. San Francisco

Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 AM

5,299 posts, read 2,346,196 times
I’m in Milwaukee a lot, grew up there, and I always want to move back after visiting. Lots of cool spots that might get overshadowed by the rougher areas.

Baltimore is an interesting one to me. I just watched a little mini-documentary on Leakin Park, and they called it the scariest place in America. Kind of sad that a lot of otherwise interesting cities can be brought down by the bad areas.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:06 PM

17,387 posts, read 9,207,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This is the type of list all of us Texans want. Because of our states annex laws all a city like Houston or San Antonio has to do is annex 20 miles of suburbia to cancel out the 20 square miles of hood/ghetto in the city and we can pretend that the problems of our city aren’t that bad and we will never make a list like this. The reasons why lists like this suck is because depending on a state laws to incorporation and annexation a place like Florence-Graham which is essentially an LA neighborhood the city forgot to annex can place highly on this list when it clearly isn’t an independent city in anyway.

Texas Annexation Law does NOT allow a 20 mile annexation.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE

TITLE 2. ORGANIZATION OF MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT

SUBTITLE C. MUNICIPAL BOUNDARIES AND ANNEXATION

CHAPTER 43. MUNICIPAL ANNEXATION

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

If the Citizens in San Antonio and Houston had an objection to their "20 square miles of hood/ghetto" in their Cities ...... they would not continue to Elect Leftist Democrats to run their Cities and then "pretend" that they can't FIX their Cities.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Umm, Las Vegas & Miami Beach bad places to live? lolz

Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM

14,709 posts, read 8,034,142 times
In the past I have lived in Baltimore, New Haven and Miami. They weren't all that bad (this was decades ago though)
It felt like Salt Lake City was one of the nicer cities that I have ever visited. Knoxville was nice when I was there too.

Albuquerque, South Bend, Indiana and Atlanta seemed pretty nice too.

I know Baltimore has a lot of crime of late and I haven't lived in Miami for 50 years...but have a hard time seeing how some of the other cities ended up on that list.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,890,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was born and raised in the suburbs of Dayton, and while it was a great place to grow up, the list isn't wrong to include it because it's really struggling. Visiting family who still live there never fails to remind me why I needed to leave. It's not the same city it was when I was a child and it was right for me to move on. That said, I continue to root for Dayton's success, and nothing would make me happier than to see it pull out of its death spiral. I guess you can take the girl out of Ohio, but you can't take the Ohio out of the girl.
The thing is there are many people like you. I am one. I grew up in the Toledo area, and my grandparents were in the Dayton area. Neither city is similar to what it was like when I was a child, too (80's and 90's). And people like us have left.

We root for its success - but realistically, people like us leaving is one of the biggest reasons it'll be very hard for those areas to recover quickly.

We shouldn't feel bad about it - economic opportunity is just not great there right now. But it's a chicken-and-egg situation for sure. They need companies to bring in people - but they need those brilliant people there to set up shop...

Old 01-07-2019, 01:32 PM

251 posts, read 147,842 times
Older thread, but I agree there are some ridiculous results on this list (yep, Miami Beach and Tucson are crazy). I really suspect this is a deliberate ploy to get ppl talking about these “findings”.

Sure, let’s throw up a list for the 30 cities with the most pleasant year-round weather. Now be sure to sprinkle in the unexpected: Fargo, ND, Buffalo, NY and Death Valley, CA, because if we don’t include these “surprises” on the list then a giant yawn for the readers.

Ridiculousness gets attention.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 PM

10,149 posts, read 15,847,496 times
Wonder about this list. Miami BEACH one of the most glamorous places in on here? Miami itself is a Third World city (not even an American city) but Miami Beach on this list??

Well a lot of these cities are Democrat even if they're in Republican states. For example Gary is probably the most Democrat place in Indiana and Shreveport's city limits are very Democrat. I'm from Louisiana and the Democrats are all concentrated in the poor, majority black areas.

Charleston WV (where I used to live) and Dayton OH were both hurt by Democrat policies like unfair trade agreements and the war on coal.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,841,673 times
Most of them FL towns definitely belong on the list. Homestead is terrible, the county at whole is. Miami Beach is too expensive for the average Joe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies