Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2018, 04:25 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
6,927 posts, read 6,947,493 times
Reputation: 16509

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: If I read a big enough lie, and it is repeated to me often enough by people who manage to fool me into thinking they're experts, I will believe it, and it will become The Truth.

Don't quit your day job at NASA, Jim. Stick to administrating.
Yeah, wouldn't want to have someone who is willing to learn the science in charge of any missions to the planets or outer space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
He read a lot of propaganda and disinformation.



According to this "scientist" who happens to be the chief architect of "climate change" we should [sic] even exist:

In his book Storms of my Grandchildren, noted climate scientist James Hansen issued the following warning: "[i]f we burn all reserves of oil, gas, and coal, there is a substantial chance we will initiate the runaway greenhouse. If we also burn the tar sands and tar shale, I believe the Venus syndrome is a dead certainty."
Apparently you got your degree in physics from Trump University. Hopefully, they have finally refunded your tuition fees.

I assume you meant to write "we should NOT even exist." But either way you are wrong. You grabbed your quote from a blogger who has no science education and contradicts himself 3 times in one short blurb for the National Geographic.

You have the incredible hubris to question the credentials of Doctor James Hansen, BS Physics, PhD in Astrophysics with highest honors from the University of Iowa. From 1981 to 2013, he was the head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City, a part of the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

Dr. Hansen's was elected to the National Academy of Sciences for his "development of pioneering radiative transfer models and studies of planetary atmospheres; development of simplified and three-dimensional global climate models; explication of climate forcing mechanisms; analysis of current climate trends from observational data; and projections of anthropogenic impacts on the global climate system.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) selected James Hansen to receive its Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility "for his courageous and steadfast advocacy in support of scientists' responsibilities to communicate their scientific opinions and findings openly and honestly on matters of public importance."

His other awards and honors are too numerous to list here.

Quote:
It's an undisputed fact that Earth's atmosphere was nothing but CO2, Methane and Ammonia for the first 2.5 Billion years of its existence, and yet no runaway greenhouse effect happened.
The first, primitive atmosphere was probably several times denser than what we have now, and was dominated not by oxygen, but by carbon dioxide—a major greenhouse gas. Other gases, such as molecular nitrogen, water vapor, and small amounts of carbon monoxide, sulfur gases, and trace quantities of methane, and hydrogen were also present.

This is common knowledge for anyone who has ever cracked a textbook for geology 101 or even just an introductory class for Science 101. The reason the early atmosphere did not turn runaway greenhouse?

Astrophysical computer models based on the study of young stars and of star-forming regions in the galaxy strongly suggest that the Sun was much dimmer when the first life emerged on Earth, over 4 billion years ago. A dimmer Sun would have supplied less solar radiation to warm the early Earth. To keep the Earth from starting out as a frozen wasteland, with no hope for beginning life to take hold, an atmospheric “greenhouse” must have kept the surface zone warm enough to maintain water in liquid form. Liquid water is the prerequisite for life.

Anyone interested in the ACTUAL science as opposed to the lies and drivel marketed by Exxon and the Koch brothers can find a discussion of the above at http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/c...mosphere-2.pdf

As soon as anyone starts making over-simplified arguments in what is a complex field of science, it's a dead give away that person doesn't have the faintest idea of what they are talking about.

Quick! Tell us the second law of thermodynamics without resorting to Google.

Can't do it, can you? Yet you have the audacity to sit in judgement of the distinguished scientist, Dr. James Hansen.

 
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 PM
 
46,997 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Reputation: 29473
Default Pass the ketchup, I'm about to eat some crow.

I did not like the idea of this guy heading up NASA. Not at all. But damn if I'm not warming to him. He seems willing to learn, he's not given to sound-bite oversimplifications, and it looks like he actually cares about the mission. (Not just climate science, I like his vision overall.)

I was wrong, and I openly admit it.
 
Old 06-09-2018, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Texas
38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Reputation: 24780
Well, now...

The NASA head reads, learns and figures out that scientists aren't really dumber than Limbaugh and Scott Pruitt after all.

 
Old 06-09-2018, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Near the beach
599 posts, read 277,443 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...heard-a-lot-of


NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine says he changed his mind on the existence of man-made climate change because he “read a lot.”

“I heard a lot of experts, and I read a lot,” Bridenstine told The Washington Post on Tuesday. “I came to the conclusion myself that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas that we've put a lot of it into the atmosphere and therefore we have contributed to the global warming that we've seen. And we've done it in really significant ways.”

The former congressman from Oklahoma had long denied the scientific consensus on climate change and said in a 2013 speech on the House floor that "global temperatures stopped rising 10 years ago."

In May, Bridenstine first announced publicly that he now believes human activity is the main cause of climate change.

Good on him.
He went on to add that the Earth is flat.
 
Old 06-09-2018, 06:37 PM
 
10,920 posts, read 6,920,815 times
Reputation: 4942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector1489 View Post
He went on to add that the Earth is flat.
Are you implying climate change science is equivalent to flat Earth...... "Beliefs" (whatever you want to call flat Earth thoughts...)?
 
Old 06-09-2018, 06:42 PM
 
10,681 posts, read 6,124,888 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Are you implying climate change science is equivalent to flat Earth...... "Beliefs" (whatever you want to call flat Earth thoughts...)?
LMAO, flat earthers, moon landing deniers and climate change deniers are all on the same side..
 
Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Near the beach
599 posts, read 277,443 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Are you implying climate change science is equivalent to flat Earth...... "Beliefs" (whatever you want to call flat Earth thoughts...)?
Ironic, isn't it?
 
Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times
Reputation: 27863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...heard-a-lot-of


NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine says he changed his mind on the existence of man-made climate change because he “read a lot.”

“I heard a lot of experts, and I read a lot,” Bridenstine told The Washington Post on Tuesday. “I came to the conclusion myself that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas that we've put a lot of it into the atmosphere and therefore we have contributed to the global warming that we've seen. And we've done it in really significant ways.”

The former congressman from Oklahoma had long denied the scientific consensus on climate change and said in a 2013 speech on the House floor that "global temperatures stopped rising 10 years ago."

In May, Bridenstine first announced publicly that he now believes human activity is the main cause of climate change.

Good on him.
OK

What is the solution?
 
Old 06-09-2018, 08:59 PM
 
20,757 posts, read 8,606,055 times
Reputation: 14399
He did a lot if reading but from which sources? The way to counter carbon dioxide is to plant more trees. Trees convert CO2 into oxygen. If we pave over everything of course it will be hotter in the summer. Mandate every building have at least one tree in front of it. Bring back Victory Gardens. The more plants the better off we will all be.
 
Old 06-09-2018, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,588 posts, read 6,639,390 times
Reputation: 17966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK

What is the solution?
Oddly enough, I am in some sort of agreement with the screeching horde of flying Trumpmonkeys on this one.

There really isn't one. It's far too late at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top