Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 06:20 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,093,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So to sum it up, you think you should have died or suffered excruciating pain as a child if your parents couldnt afford the costly treatment? You were lucky. And you continue to ride your luck. But counting on your luck is not rational. And you most certainly cant credit your great wisdom for being lucky.
The world doesn't turn on hypotheticals. One size does not fit all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,016,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Of course they will until they get sick. Sooner or later, everyone gets sick.
Even if they DO get sick, they'll still back it.

Perfect example from my own life follows: A "legacy friend" of mine who contracted Obama Derangement Syndrome and who then got sucked into right-wing religion is a perfect example of this. It's bad enough he considers the heavy rainfall we've had this summer on the east coast as "proof the Bible flood happened!" he also fully hates any healthcare that allows for the coverage of pre-existing conditions... while suffering from NUMEROUS pre-existing conditions?!

Let's see: he's had skin cancer, brain damage from a serious car accident, bad kidney stones, and several other nasty things. But he hates all Democrats, anything resembling single-payer or affordable healthcare, and fully backs Trump - despite being a "Christian" - and is too dang stupid to realize that if he ever achieved his right-wing paradise, he'd never be able to get healthcare coverage again! Of course, if that did happen, he'd blame "Obama" or somebody else.

So, no - even if supporting Trump meant righties were dying in the streets from pre-existing conditions, they will STILL support him and everything he represents. They'd rather die horribly than allow some "poor" to get healthcare coverage for which they might have to pay a bit.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:28 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,971,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no distinction and your argument goes hand in hand with my above argument.

Their guy bad, my guy good. Even though they are the same person.

My distinction was very plan. Another is this: I believe that the Justice Department should defend all laws in Court. I care not about the Administration.

I was against the Tax Reform Act. However, if the next President is Democrat, and a challenge to the law is brought to court, I would expect the Justice Department to defend this law that had been duly passed by Congress, and signed into law by President Trump.

Obviously, you have people that care little for the 'big picture'. Some even don't seem to care that one of Mr. Trump's campaign promises was to 'enforce the law', but that by having the Justice Department not defend the ACA in court, he is failing in that promise.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:33 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,924,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The world doesn't turn on hypotheticals. One size does not fit all.
So you admit you should have died as a child with a disease if your parents couldnt afford it. Thats just an appalling attitude to be honest. And very likely hot air. You would change your tune in an instant.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My distinction was very plan. Another is this: I believe that the Justice Department should defend all laws in Court. I care not about the Administration.
The Obama administration also did that.

President Obama has instructed the Justice Department to no longer defend the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, the legal prohibition on federal recognition of same-sex marriages.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-a...r-defend-doma/

There was no condemnation of Obama for that.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,895,376 times
Quote:
This is the one valid point final makes. I've noted it over and over. Our system can be large, bloated and corrupt and we for some unknown reason refuse to address that. It does have to be addressed.

One side wants UHC (or so they say) but then choose someone that was never going to address the waste, fraud and corruption in the system as she was the poster girl for that.

If someone simply argued that they understand that there are people out there really struggling and understand that we need to help them but in the process they are not interested in helping those who already have more than they will ever need in the process, I would and do understand that argument.

Many who argue the above though support the corruption of the military and the waste, fraud and lies there.
Our 'system' begins with a false premise ~ the supremacy of the free market ~ it's our own 'Sacred Cow' ~ most Americans are force-fed from cradle to grave:

Quote:
The supremacy of the free market.The market was to rule supreme, unrestrained by the intervention of government, labor unions, or anything else (other than corporate monopoly power) that constrained the operation of market forces, regardless of how much social disorder, suffering or exploitation results. Any undesirable effects are to be ascribed simply to "unidentified interventions" which, when they were identified, could be eliminated, and the problem solved thereby. Monopolies were simply assumed, against all evidence, to be self-limiting (though no one ever managed to explain how DeBeers Consolidated Mines had managed to create and maintain a worldwide monopoly on the diamond business for more than a century).
Free Market Fundamentalism: Neoliberalism, Friedman, and the "Chilean Miracle"

The brain-washing escalated with the 'Government Is The Problem' folks who, by the way, wanted other folks to elect them to represent Government. One wonders about the self-fulfilling prophecy aspect of that canard.

Quote:
Privatization. Since government is assumed, as a given, to be inefficient, lazy, bloated and uneconomical in the provisioning of goods and services, it was only reasonable to presume that private enterprise could and would perform the delivery of services in a more efficient manner, and hence any activity that delivers goods or services to citizens should and must be privatized. Never was an explanation offered for the contrary incentive of capitalism - that the capitalist's basic profit-driven incentive is to charge as much money as possible for providing as few goods and services as possible.
How can the issues you've identified above be addressed if the 'system' (fueled by the profit-driven incentive) is "to charge as much money as possible for providing as few goods & services as possible"?

Madness.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Our 'system' begins with a false premise ~ the supremacy of the free market ~ it's our own 'Sacred Cow' ~ most Americans are force-fed from cradle to grave:
Those who preach "free market" don't actually believe in them.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:48 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,916,137 times
I'm so glad we are on the path to the horror show of early to mid 2000s health care when people got slammed for things like ambulance rides because they weren't approved by insurance companies who claimed their car accident injuries were preexisting conditions and therefore rejected coverage, leaving people with massive bills.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,971,137 times
Quote:
The Obama administration also did that.

President Obama has instructed the Justice Department to no longer defend the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, the legal prohibition on federal recognition of same-sex marriages.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-a...r-defend-doma/

There was no condemnation of Obama for that.

Yet, if one reads your article closely, you will see that the Obama Justice Department did defend DOMA in Federal District Court. Mr. Obama's directive was regarding the appeal.

Furthermore, from the article:

"Holder said that despite the decision, his department will "remain parties to the cases and continue to represent the interests of the United States throughout the litigation." He added that members of Congress can still elect to defend the statute and that Justice will "work closely with the courts to ensure that Congress has a full and fair opportunity to participate in pending litigation."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said that enforcement of the policy will -- at least for now -- continue."

And:

"After a district judge ruled in July that DOMA is unconstitutional, Justice announced it would appeal the ruling, arguing it has an obligation to defend all federal laws."

And:

Holder concluded in his statement. "The Supreme Court has ruled that laws criminalizing homosexual conduct are unconstitutional. Congress has repealed the military's Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. Several lower courts have ruled DOMA itself to be unconstitutional. Section 3 of DOMA will continue to remain in effect unless Congress repeals it or there is a final judicial finding that strikes it down, and the President has informed me that the Executive Branch will continue to enforce the law. But while both the wisdom and the legality of Section 3 of DOMA will continue to be the subject of both extensive litigation and public debate, this Administration will no longer assert its constitutionality in court."

In the present case, the Trump Justice Department is not even defending the ACA in Federal District Court. I believe they have an obligation to defend, at the very least at the lower court level.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:59 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Even if they DO get sick, they'll still back it.

Perfect example from my own life follows: A "legacy friend" of mine who contracted Obama Derangement Syndrome and who then got sucked into right-wing religion is a perfect example of this. It's bad enough he considers the heavy rainfall we've had this summer on the east coast as "proof the Bible flood happened!" he also fully hates any healthcare that allows for the coverage of pre-existing conditions... while suffering from NUMEROUS pre-existing conditions?!

Let's see: he's had skin cancer, brain damage from a serious car accident, bad kidney stones, and several other nasty things. But he hates all Democrats, anything resembling single-payer or affordable healthcare, and fully backs Trump - despite being a "Christian" - and is too dang stupid to realize that if he ever achieved his right-wing paradise, he'd never be able to get healthcare coverage again! Of course, if that did happen, he'd blame "Obama" or somebody else.

So, no - even if supporting Trump meant righties were dying in the streets from pre-existing conditions, they will STILL support him and everything he represents. They'd rather die horribly than allow some "poor" to get healthcare coverage for which they might have to pay a bit.
Sad but likely true...Trump's shameful pandering and the throwing of red meat to ignorant folks in order to convince them that someone else...some other...is responsible for their woes is part and parcel of his scam. He taps into their hate and bigotry and they embrace that as opposed to educating themselves to the facts or demading that their representatives actually lobby for their interests for things that will actually improve their lives...things like quality and affordable education, healthcare, taxes that will contribute to the common good, alternative energies, a livable minimum wage, etc.

So just as long as their racism and bigotry is confirmed and nurtured, they will forgo all the stuff that would improve their lives and the lives of their family members. Pathetic! Trump has counted and banked on this and they fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 06-09-2018 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies