Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:16 PM

88,674 posts, read 44,444,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So CNN is going to continue to promote this guy, after it turns out he paid off the guy who accused Asia of forcing herself on him? #MetooUnlessIcanMakeMoney
Ironic, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,926,376 times
I lived in Hollywood as a teenager and was an usher at a large theater that regularly had red carpet opening nights. I brought a lot of stars to their seats and even talked with some during intermissions. Hollywood was a veritable Disneyland of the mind. There was nothing normal about any of it. Actually I think Weinstein has as much right to make money as Donald Trump does to be president. Hypocracy is the currency of power. I think movements turn into fads pretty quickly. I doubt if Anthony would have joined if not for Asia. And she seemed to be a master manipulator. It's too bad Tony was so needy he couldn't see her for what she was though it's likely most others around him saw through her and probably he wouldn't hear of it. Hypocracy is irrelevant. I see Tony as a poor sap, caught up in her web. I've personally known a number of people who committed suicide and their judgement is clouded by their despair. There was a better way out of their troubles for all of them, but they just couldn't see it.
Quote:
Because you might have enjoyed it doesn't erase the incredible hypocrisy of Bourdain and Asia as two big voices of the movement. And sure, Weinstein was a business, should he still be allowed to make money?

Last edited by bobspez; 09-24-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,938,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ironic, no?
Sad, and when people ask for legitimate examples of why CNN can't be trusted, this is a prime example in my book. I used to be more open about trusting them but its things like this that make me question them on just about everything now. Its obvious they have their agenda, and I'm not saying they are "fake news" but they most certainly can't be trusted

Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM

In my opinion all news is just a sample of what happens. That sample is chosen based on what gets the most viewers. Many years ago a friend of mine was killed and I went to the police department to question if there had been foul play. I asked why there was no mention of it in the newspaper. The detective told me there were multiple deaths every night and the newspaper only reported a fraction of them.
All news is just a sampling of what is happening. All news basically will report what their viewers and sponsors will consider acceptable and interesting. All news is ruled by commercial interests. Just like all money making segments of society from business to religion to science to the arts to politics.
Quote:
Sad, and when people ask for legitimate examples of why CNN can't be trusted, this is a prime example in my book. I used to be more open about trusting them but its things like this that make me question them on just about everything now. Its obvious they have their agenda, and I'm not saying they are "fake news" but they most certainly can't be trusted

Old 09-24-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
In my opinion all news is just a sample of what happens. That sample is chosen based on what gets the most viewers. Many years ago a friend of mine was killed and I went to the police department to question if there had been foul play. I asked why there was no mention of it in the newspaper. The detective told me there were multiple deaths every night and the newspaper only reported a fraction of them.
All news is just a sampling of what is happening. All news basically will report what their viewers and sponsors will consider acceptable and interesting. All news is ruled by commercial interests. Just like all money making segments of society from business to religion to science to the arts to politics.
Yeah but when CNN is engaged in activist activities supporting a movement, but they employ someone who was part of a cover up, they should stop airing the show. This isn't "news" its being two faced for the sake of money.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Their viewers and sponsors don't share your opinion. They don't claim to be unbiased. They are reporting from a point of view, like all the other news programs and channels. They only want to please their sponsors and viewers. Whether what they report is right or wrong is up for debate, like everything else today.
Quote:
Yeah but when CNN is engaged in activist activities supporting a movement, but they employ someone who was part of a cover up, they should stop airing the show. This isn't "news" its being two faced for the sake of money.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:33 PM

38,612 posts, read 26,267,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Re Anthony and Asia. It's clear a couple things from his history

1)He needed to be in a relationship. Anthony would jump from one relationship to the other. He even wrote about being suicidal and depressive after his first marriage ended.
2)He battled depression.
3)Asia was much more attractive and younger (in relation to him) than his previous wives. He lusted, and became hooked. Lust can be a drug and people confuse this high for love.
4)I don't know how people can take the series of photos and outcomes on Instagram any other way - she was cheating on him, he was crushed.

So he committed suicide. It's not Asia's fault, it's his own personal decision. He should have put things into perspective - if not for him, his daughter. But he couldn't or wouldn't.

I have to say that the public lens makes this worse. We (as men) have all been there - crushed by some woman we lusted after. The humiliation however was confined to few people and we could bury it and move on. Hollywood knows no mercy and your humiliation is aired to be consumed and made money out of. That was Bourdain - he was fragile to begin with, and this situation broke him.

RIP.
Didn't know she was cheating on him.

I did read about him having to pay off some under-aged actor, Jimmy Bennett, that she raped.

This, AFTER he went all-in on her #meeto crap!

In a way I feel sorry for him.

As for her, what a ****ing pig!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Their viewers and sponsors don't share your opinion. They don't claim to be unbiased. They are reporting from a point of view, like all the other news programs and channels. They only want to please their sponsors and viewers. Whether what they report is right or wrong is up for debate, like everything else today.
Which means they have zero interest in being a respected news organization, the "entertainment" portion of their programming takes priority for them. Just another FOX/MSNBC at this point.

And besides, this isn't an "opinion" these are simple facts:

1. Asia has a documented history of sexual abuse of a minor
2. Bourdain paid to silence said minor
3. CNN spends plenty of air time (rightfully so) on the #MeToo movement because its news
4. CNN anchors have given on air editorials about the #MeToo movement and made it clear that this behavior is unacceptable
5. CNN promotes and airs the show of a man (Bourdain) who is complicit in the activities that they are admonishing

Points 1-5 are pure fact, not opinion

Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 PM

Nobody cares.
Quote:
Which means they have zero interest in being a respected news organization, the "entertainment" portion of their programming takes priority for them. Just another FOX/MSNBC at this point.

And besides, this isn't an "opinion" these are simple facts:

1. Asia has a documented history of sexual abuse of a minor
2. Bourdain paid to silence said minor
3. CNN spends plenty of air time (rightfully so) on the #MeToo movement because its news
4. CNN anchors have given on air editorials about the #MeToo movement and made it clear that this behavior is unacceptable
5. CNN promotes and airs the show of a man (Bourdain) who is complicit in the activities that they are admonishing

Points 1-5 are pure fact, not opinion

Old 09-24-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Nobody cares.
No, smart people who have critical thinking skills care.... On second thought, you might be right, nobody cares. But glad to see that you can't dispute anything I said, because as I pointed out, they are all facts and they tell part of the story of why this country is so divided right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies