Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Christians hate.
A claim like this can mean anything in the age of college safe spaces and other horseplay courtesy of Team Social Justice.

Before you repeat the same trope throughout the thread, you should probably clarify exactly what you mean by it. Like this guy.

Last edited by Hightower72; 06-08-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:06 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This. What is the difference between a sign that says, "No Gays" and one that says, "No Blacks"?

Absolutely nothing.
Sure, there is. Black people cause random white people to call the police for ordinary every day things like BBQing with family and pushing toddler on a stroller in the park. I don't recall ever hearing about a gay person getting a 911 call by Becky.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:06 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Intolerance is intolerance regardless of origin.
According to this thread, that's not true. It's supposedly "tolerant" to hate Christians.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I have officiated at countless weddings over the years. Only twice did I get an invite to the reception. The first was my best friend who I married, the second was a member of the board of the church. All the others, including church members I wasn't invited - why would I?
Because you're an important party in pulling off a beautiful event. A wedding is NOT impersonal.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I wish all stores were required to post who they would not serve. I would hate to be like the couple in the florist case who spent thousands of dollars in her shop before they found out that she wouldn't sell them flowers for their wedding.

I also feel that either sexual orientation needs to be added to federal anti discrimination laws, or they need to remove religion. It's BS that a "christian" can refuse me service based on my sexual orientation, but I can not refuse them service based on their personal religious beliefs.
A few years ago Muslim cab drivers were kicking people out of their cabs when they found out they had alcohol in their luggage, these were airport cabs. Even people who bought the little statues with booze in them for souvenirs.

That’s when I made my mind up about this issue and it cuts both ways.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:18 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Thats the type of data that I am curious about.
Will it reduce his business or increase it?
  • Bigots that agree with him could flock
  • Non Bigots that disagree could stop giving them the business, and spread the word
  • People that dont care either way and continue to give business.

As another poster said, if the signs were put up all through town, will the majority of the people embrace it, isolate it, or eventually regulate it away to kill the business.
This is unlikely to be legal and will invite a swift lawsuit.

Why should one's rights be subject mainly to the whim of the public? What if it works out to my detriment?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Small detail. Google the business. It is not near anything. Knoxville is about 40 miles away.

Point being. It affects very few people.
Doesn't matter. Discrimination is discrimination.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Tennessee store puts 'No Gays Allowed' sign back up after Supreme Court cake ruling | TheHill

Speaking as a gay man married to another man, I fully support this dude's right to having that sign up. I'm a strong believer in free speech, including speech that people don't like.

He has the right to post his sign. And I have the right to not shop there. That's how its suppose to work. I absolutely hate it that gay people are suing. Just go somewhere else for goodness sake.
I guess you would have been ok with separate but equal. There is a limit to free speech when it affects others.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
True, but what can you do in a rural area with no other options? That's how people got screwed over during Jim Crow.
Yes. Black people who traveled had a very difficult time finding accommodations and services because of that. Do we have to go back to the Green Book again?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
How would he know you're gay unless you were acting girly or grabbed him in the crotch? I'm presuming this is a store, not a sex pad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Patrons must enter in mating pairs. I believe the store is called Noah's Ark.
Quote:
Very true! Don't know about the "Noah's Ark" thing....But, today a single male is a loner, and consequently, you can assume he diddles little girls, has a meth lab out in back, and undoubtedly murdered that chick whose body was found in a field 8 blocks away. Of course the women on that jury will certainly concur. Thank you Hollywood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What?

I could imagine exactly zero people who would think twice about a single male walking into a hardware store.

Stock up on your tin foil for the weekend.
Quote:
Hardware store? Didn't see that part. But still, given that, how do you know he's gay? That was my point. I know shaved heads are a little more gay than not, but otherwise? Red tennis shoes? Where do you draw the line.
I was agreeing with you initially. It's ludicrous to believe a store owner could determine who was gay or not. I was making a joke that only mating pairs would be allowed to enter so the owner could convince himself he was in a safe place.

Your rant about society's view of single males is off the deep end.

The store mentioned in this thread is a hardware store. I'm sure they see single males all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies