Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

Andraya Yearwood, 15-year-old Cromwell freshman a transgender girl from Cromwell, won the 100 and 200 meter dash during the Class M track and field championships Tuesday afternoon at Veteran's Stadium in New Britain.

She's only a freshman. She should do well in her Junior and Senior years probably winning many state or national titles.

Jeff Jacobs: As We Rightfully Applaud Yearwood, We Must Acknowledge Many Questions Remain - Hartford Courant

Quote:
The CIAC handbook points to applicable state and federal laws. In 2011, the state legislature extended the scope of Connecticut's anti-discrimination laws to prohibit discrimination on the basis of "gender identity or expression." It's a civil right. After the Trump administration rolled back some guidelines, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy signed an executive order in February ensuring that the rights of transgender students receiving an education continue uninterrupted.
Quote:
Yearwood, who has yet to undergo any hormonal treatment on the long process toward sex reassignment surgery, sprinted faster than anyone else for two state class titles.

Was it fair?

On a biologically competitive basis, it was not.

Should Yearwood be allowed to participate with the girls? Yes. Participation is paramount in high school sports. Participation with dignity is the aspiration. But the question of what constitutes fairness in the world of sports remains to be settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:32 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
If her Johnson was swinging she should not be winning.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Let them try it at Wimbledon or some other pro sport. If that goes well (it won’t) then will talk about school kids.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
No. Simple as that.

Outside of this story, can you imagine if Michael Jordan was trans and decided to join the WNBA? I'll leave it to your imagination.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Andraya Yearwood, 15-year-old Cromwell freshman a transgender girl from Cromwell, won the 100 and 200 meter dash during the Class M track and field championships Tuesday afternoon at Veteran's Stadium in New Britain.

She's only a freshman. She should do well in her Junior and Senior years probably winning many state or national titles.

Jeff Jacobs: As We Rightfully Applaud Yearwood, We Must Acknowledge Many Questions Remain - Hartford Courant

NO! Boys, are way stronger than girls, once puberty hits.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:06 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
While they are trans girls (not trans boys), I say no. Its simply not fair to the biological females, who are not as strong and who don't have as much testosterone. Look, I'm all for people being who they are, which includes being ok with people who are transgender. But I'm also for fairness and have no problem speaking out against what I view as inherently unfair. That, of course, brings us to what to do with people who fall into such categories--especially as children--who run the risk of being left out of sporting if certain views win out. As to that question, I don't have a good answer, but just know that the current setup isn't fair to anyone. And if I was transgender, I'd hope that I'd have the class to bow out of such competitions where I had an unfair edge.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:06 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I feel sad for girls who train for years to win just to lose to biologically intact males. I predict girls sports will diminish as competitive girls choose not to compete in sports when they don't have a chance to win.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:08 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
No. Simple as that.

Outside of this story, can you imagine if Michael Jordan was trans and decided to join the WNBA? I'll leave it to your imagination.
Hey, at least the WNBA would be a profitable, highly watched league After all, MJ was too much for even the men!

Old 06-08-2018, 12:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hey, at least the WNBA would be a profitable, highly watched league After all, MJ was too much for even the men!
The Sun win with a score of 120-23, while MJ walks away with the most points at 120 points .

Old 06-08-2018, 12:48 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Nope, totally unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies