Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 06:46 PM

78,021 posts, read 60,232,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Good God, man, you do understand how these things work, right? It wasn't up to Obama to pass the bill, it was up to Congress. The two Houses disagreed and had to reconcile their differences.

You are blaming Obama for not doing Congress's job now?
So, the president with a mandate couldn't get his own party to herd in the same direction?

Sorry, but while I like Obama he came into office very short on experience and didn't use his power/mandate effectively.

Overall, yeah I think he did a decent job but wow, take a step back.

Frankly, I think he'd have been one of our best presidents if he's lost in 2008 and won in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,182,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Yep. People that have money believe people without money shouldn't get any coverage. They would love to see people just die off because they can't afford to pay for health services out of pocket.
And those without money are not my problem.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,182,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. I've always thought one of the biggest barriers to entrepreneurship is the lack of health care options for entrepreneurs and their potential employees. So many people I know have great ideas but are afraid of quitting their jobs and losing health coverage for themselves and their families. Here's another thing about that; notice all the immigrants that have successfully started businesses? They know if something goes south with their health, worst case, they can go back to their country and get it treated. American entrepreneurs do not have that option.

So are we ending public schools? Exact same thing. Publicly funded, everyone pays in, contribution to and attendance of - mandated.
My daughter attends parochial school. Why should I support public school?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:12 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Now from those costs subtract all the premiums that individuals and businesses pay for health insurance today. My guess is it would be a wash, or at the end of the day savings would be found.
Totally! Take the middleman out, allow us to negotiate like other countries do and pool our healthcare money divided evenly we would save as individuals with a non-profit universal system. I would pay less than I do now.

We have no reign on pharm or equipment here. That's the extra we pay for, someone's profit because we make big money off of the healthcare business.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Because right now you can afford it but next year you could have a stroke, be out of work, and not be able to afford it. Will you still want your daughter to have a decent education? Or will she go uneducated because of your medical issues?

There will still be the parochial equivalent of insurance companies if you want a premium. No worries.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:18 PM

17,944 posts, read 27,377,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

the median household yearly income 1970......$7600 …………..in todays (inflation )dollars ...$49,076.02
Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2018

yet:
the median household yearly income 2018......$61,770.... clearly not any type of """decline"""

even the min wage has kept up with inflation
https://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm
min wage at start (oct 1938).. $0.25........ in todays dollars (2018) $4.44

min wage 1945....................$0.40..........in todays dollars .......... $5.57

min wage 1984...................$3.35.........in todays dollars...........$8.08

min wage 1993...................$4.25.........in todays dollars...........$7.37

min wage 1999...................$5.15.........in todays dollars...........$7.74
Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2018
In 1982, when I was barely old enough to drive and I high school, I found bottom pay mowing lawns, construction labor, merchandise, busing tables, dishwashing, etc. to be from 6 to 12 bucks per, more like 6 bucks minimum.

Three or four bucks was a waiter/waitress base pay minus tips, what babysitters got, etc.

Salaries haven't gone up much for most though. Cost of living sucks these days.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 PM

78,021 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
In 1982, when I was barely old enough to drive and I high school, I found bottom pay mowing lawns, construction labor, merchandise, busing tables, dishwashing, etc. to be from 6 to 12 bucks per, more like 6 bucks minimum.

Three or four bucks was a waiter/waitress base pay minus tips, what babysitters got, etc.

Salaries haven't gone up much for most though. Cost of living sucks these days.
Depends on cost of living in your area but yeah, when there are tons of illegals in the area they'll work cheaper and it will keep those wages down.

I find it pathetic that some people decry the rejection of science for a topic like global warming and then turn around and violate Economics 101 and claim that 6 million illegal laborers don't suppress blue collar wages.

I'm a global warming believer and frankly we need a new term for these people...maybe "Economics deniers"?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,114,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not according to my policy.
So they say...

Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,114,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Unless you completely live off the grid, you are most likely vastly underestimating how much you rely on government.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,108,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends on cost of living in your area but yeah, when there are tons of illegals in the area they'll work cheaper and it will keep those wages down.

I find it pathetic that some people decry the rejection of science for a topic like global warming and then turn around and violate Economics 101 and claim that 6 million illegal laborers don't suppress blue collar wages.

I'm a global warming believer and frankly we need a new term for these people...maybe "Economics deniers"?
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies