Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's not the senior citizens we have to worry about, as far as I know.

Terrorists will look for the weak link and exploit it if they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 06:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Absolutely. Who would think that they would search an innocent old lady in a wheelchair ? It would be a perfect way to get a bomb or other contraband on board.

This is not 1950 Mayberry any more, the world is a sick, dangerous place. When I fly, I hate the searches, but I am happy they are being so cautious. I would rather be slightly inconvenienced than to be blown to pieces .
This is called a false security. If someone wants to bring down a plane, searching old women in wheelchairs is not going to stop that. You simply ship an anti-aircraft gun in with your imports. (things get snuck in all the time)

Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Absolutely. Who would think that they would search an innocent old lady in a wheelchair ? It would be a perfect way to get a bomb or other contraband on board.

This is not 1950 Mayberry any more, the world is a sick, dangerous place. When I fly, I hate the searches, but I am happy they are being so cautious. I would rather be slightly inconvenienced than to be blown to pieces .
I will say this much that those who are not in security, who get inconvenienced by security.....haven't changed a bit in the decades.

They complained then about the why and they complain now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is called a false security. If someone wants to bring down a plane, searching old women in wheelchairs is not going to stop that. You simply ship an anti-aircraft gun in with your imports. (things get snuck in all the time)
But how much effort, how much of your resources would that cost you? How much money, how much in your suppliers, in your networks, would you use up for such an operation? How much of a ripple would such an operation cause making you detectable to the LEO agencies?

If you could bring down an airplane with an old woman in a wheelchair, wouldn't you rather do it that way, more cheaply?

So, A, B, and C.

A: If you don't have the resources for an AA gun and you are thinking evil, you will probably look for an easier way to do that evil.

B: In any war fighting, one of the goals is to make the war very expensive for the other guy. Whether it is done in lives, supplies, cash, or whatever, you want him to realize that war is not cheap. This is what Reagan did to the Soviet Union, for example, by outspending them. So if he really wants to do it, make him spend a lot of his resources doing it.

C: Keep in mind that one can put things in a wheelchair that may not quite bring down the airplane but still make a mess of it such as a homer, a transmitter to interfere with nav gear, and I wouldn't be surprised if today's technology could transmit a computer virus to interfere with fly by wire or engine controls.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-10-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 07:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
On the other hand, the drug smugglers have been using the retired for years to get items past customs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/w...t-cocaine.html

Elderly parents accused of smuggling pot appear in court

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...oit/969975001/

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/m...drug-mule.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-10171789.html
(this one has a note about the mule carrying drugs in his false leg)

So if one organization is using that "tactic" to get past entry/exit security, why can't another......and knowing that, we would be fools to ignore that.
The fools are the ones who think it's okay for the TSA to violate our rights.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Terrorists will look for the weak link and exploit it if they can.
They don't want to fight us over here, they want to fight us over there since it's much easier for them. That's their 2nd choice. Their first choice is to get American troops out of their country. I don't blame them. We are the terrorists when we're over there murdering innocent people.

How do you make a terrorist? You take an innocent person who has done nothing to you and kill everything he loves.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
flying is optional, don't put up with the abuse! walk or drive, you show em!

Old 06-10-2018, 07:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
They don't want to fight us over here, they want to fight us over there since it's much easier for them. That's their 2nd choice. Their first choice is to get American troops out of their country. I don't blame them. We are the terrorists when we're over there murdering innocent people.

How do you make a terrorist? You take an innocent person who has done nothing to you and kill everything he loves.
It's odd and something I will never understand. They attack us and they are terrorists.

We attack another country and we are "freedom fighters".

Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Which particular rights are you talking about?

Old 06-10-2018, 08:11 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
My husband used a wheelchair. Do people realize how many places on those things you could hide stuff that wasn't allowed on plane. They'd set off alarms over the place and if you can't get out of your chair what choice does the TSA have but to check the chair AND the person in it? Older person or not, they can still be used by someone up to no good. My only outrage is that someone is outraged over this.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Doing their job, my a$$. This is an outrage.

Would they do the same thing to a woman in a hajib?
The old excuse of 'just doing my job' didnt work at Nuremberg, and it doesnt work today either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies