Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:32 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
In 1812 Canada burnt down the white house. The heck with them.
LOL. Yes, that is the World According to the Wild and Whacky White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:56 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
While I agree with on most of your positions do you really think Canada wants nothing from us. At issue is the Canadian supply-management system, which covers dairy, eggs, and poultry products. The system sets domestic production quotas and keeps prices stable, thereby guaranteeing farmers a steady income. And, in order to keep the supply stable, Canada blocks imports from other countries, including the U.S., by imposing tariffs—up to 270 percent on dairy products. About 80 percent of Canada’s dairy farmers are concentrated in two provinces, Quebec and Ontario, both of which are crucial to Trudeau’s political fortunes. (The system is by no means universally popular in Canada.) In the mean time 370 dairy farms in Wisconsin went belly up last year.......
It's a system designed to let a dairy industry to exist here; it's designed to let dairy farmers provide their product for Canadian consumption. We have supply management, you have government farm and dairy subsidies. If we didn't have these measure in place, our market would get flooded with US milk--which btw benefits from US government subsidies--and the entire dairy industry here would vanish.

The 270% tariff is not an expectation to pay, it's a deterrent. Canada really doesn't want to get flooded with US product.

Sometimes I wonder whether Americans realize how massive their economy is compared to other countries.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It's a system designed to let a dairy industry to exist here; it's designed to let dairy farmers provide their product for Canadian consumption. We have supply management, you have government farm and dairy subsidies. If we didn't have these measure in place, our market would get flooded with US milk--which btw benefits from US government subsidies--and the entire dairy industry here would vanish.

The 270% tariff is not an expectation to pay, it's a deterrent. Canada really doesn't want to get flooded with US product.

Sometimes I wonder whether Americans realize how massive their economy is compared to other countries.
And even still, Canada imports five times as much milk from the U.S. as the U.S. imports from Canada. U.S. dairy farmers get huge subsidies as do most U.S. farmers. I don't see any of those farmers giving up the subsidies and even Wisconsin farmers say the problem is not Canada, the problem is deregulation that has resulted in massive overproduction resulting in U.S. farmers dumping millions of gallons of milk.

Reading this in full will explain it.

Why Canadian milk infuriates Donald Trump
https://www.theguardian.com/world/co...a-us-trade-war

Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenfleece122 View Post
Americans have been strangely abusive to Canada for years now. They think we owe them something. As a Canadian I really don’t know why this is, as most people here in Canada don’t really care about the U.S. we see them only as a trading partner but that has apparently also been abused. Donald Trump is lying about the trade deficit, it’s the U.S that is the one being cheap.

To the O.P, you are right.. I can not fathom this poor treatment? We have been nothing but nice to the U.S and they constantly try to throw crap at us. In the early 2000’s American politicians used to say the terrorists that did 9/11 came through Canada (which was a lie) and this bogus belief is still repeated to this day. I saw posts in this thread talking about “Canada will be under Sharia anyway so better just build a wall”.. uhh excuse me? The U.S according to watch dog groups has 8 million Muslims and several Muslim majority towns where Shiaria courts are in the works.
I didn't know Canada was the enemy either until Trump and his supporters went on the attack. Please know that blue states still love, support and consider Canada our closes ally. I live two hours from Canada, Western Washington's relationship with Canada is very strong. In fact, half the cars in our malls are Canadian on weekends and holidays. Canadians need to know it's only red states that are hostile to Canada.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:44 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
[/b]

Have you seen the tariffs America places on sugar? How about the soft lumber industry? We've done the same thing there to Canada's detriment. We have a trade surplus with Canada.

Yes, I have a great idea. Let's alienate the country we trade the most with. Let's ridicule and irritate the country that stood with us in Afghanistan. Let's embarrass the country that refused to put a price tag on the aid they gave us after Hurricane Katrina.

Let's do it all for the sake of a dairy industry.

And let's continue to listen to lies from that jackass in the oval office. While he burns through friendships with allies like Canada, Germany, and France, he extols the virtues of gangsters an dictators like Putin, Duterte in the Philippines, and any authoritarian leader. Normal people are shamed of our leader after all the trouble he has caused. Only isolationists who carry nothing for the opinion of other democracies support him.
+1!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenfleece122 View Post
Americans have been strangely abusive to Canada for years now. They think we owe them something. As a Canadian I really don’t know why this is, as most people here in Canada don’t really care about the U.S. we see them only as a trading partner but that has apparently also been abused. Donald Trump is lying about the trade deficit, it’s the U.S that is the one being cheap.

To the O.P, you are right.. I can not fathom this poor treatment? We have been nothing but nice to the U.S and they constantly try to throw crap at us. In the early 2000’s American politicians used to say the terrorists that did 9/11 came through Canada (which was a lie) and this bogus belief is still repeated to this day. I saw posts in this thread talking about “Canada will be under Sharia anyway so better just build a wall”.. uhh excuse me? The U.S according to watch dog groups has 8 million Muslims and several Muslim majority towns where Shiaria courts are in the works.
First off, I agree with most of what you said. Canada has been an invaluable ally, and I can't possibly understand why so many Americans insist on belittling and attacking it.

For the record, however, you are spreading a bit of "fake news" about "Sharia courts." There is no town or city in the United States where "Sharia Law" supersedes local, state, or federal law. No U.S. citizens are subject to "Sharia Law" or "Sharia courts." Unless, I guess, they choose to be.

There is also no place where they are "in the works."

Nonsense like this gets spread on Facebook all the time, and it serves no purpose other than to get the uneducated masses riled up.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
[/b]

Have you seen the tariffs America places on sugar? How about the soft lumber industry? We've done the same thing there to Canada's detriment. We have a trade surplus with Canada.

Yes, I have a great idea. Let's alienate the country we trade the most with. Let's ridicule and irritate the country that stood with us in Afghanistan. Let's embarrass the country that refused to put a price tag on the aid they gave us after Hurricane Katrina.

Let's do it all for the sake of a dairy industry.

And let's continue to listen to lies from that jackass in the oval office. While he burns through friendships with allies like Canada, Germany, and France, he extols the virtues of gangsters an dictators like Putin, Duterte in the Philippines, and any authoritarian leader. Normal people are shamed of our leader after all the trouble he has caused. Only isolationists who carry nothing for the opinion of other democracies support him.
Damn. That was good,

Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
For some unknown reason (), trump really likes pleading the case for Russia, China, The Philippines, and now North Korea, all countries essentially run by dictators... While at the same time trying to rankle our closest allies.

There is really something wrong with this picture. It is as if he has been paid to try to move the country toward despots.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:33 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
First off, I agree with most of what you said. Canada has been an invaluable ally, and I can't possibly understand why so many Americans insist on belittling and attacking it.

For the record, however, you are spreading a bit of "fake news" about "Sharia courts." There is no town or city in the United States where "Sharia Law" supersedes local, state, or federal law. No U.S. citizens are subject to "Sharia Law" or "Sharia courts." Unless, I guess, they choose to be.

There is also no place where they are "in the works."

Nonsense like this gets spread on Facebook all the time, and it serves no purpose other than to get the uneducated masses riled up.

The people who buy into this are people who have never traveled outside their little worlds, don't own passports and think the world outside the US is one big dump. I hate to tell some people here, but I've been to places in this world that are by en large better than the United States in terms of quality of life.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
For some unknown reason (), trump really likes pleading the case for Russia, China, The Philippines, and now North Korea, all countries essentially run by dictators... While at the same time trying to rankle our closest allies.

There is really something wrong with this picture. It is as if he has been paid to try to move the country toward despots.
If it looks like a duck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies