Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,531,281 times

Advertisements

Apparently it was the only Father's Day card with a picture of a black couple on it. The folks at Target should be embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM

12,272 posts, read 7,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why would they intentionally sell insulting greeting cards?
I agree The greeting card creative and marketing departments must have been made unaware of the root meaning of a slang term which moved to the mainstream culture. Then those who knew of the root arrived at Target

Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,218,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I agree The greeting card creative and marketing departments must have been made unaware of the root meaning of a slang term which moved to the mainstream culture. Then those who knew of the root arrived at Target
Happens to us all as we age. I have no clue what some of the words my young nephews and nieces are using mean.

Damn kids and their music!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,034,666 times
"Baby Daddy" in what universe is that considered even close to appropriate. And people goggle over why some would find it offensive.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,218,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Apparently it was the only Father's Day card with a picture of a black couple on it. The folks at Target should be embarrassed.
Wait, someone goes around and checks the races of folks on greeting cards?

Damn, how much does that job pay? Sounds like a cakewalk.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:23 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,777,806 times
Do people really buy cards with pictures of people on them? Any color of people? Well except the old geezer funny ones that is. I would never purchase a romantic card with pics of any couple on them. Weird.

That said, this is a pretty gross card.

Last edited by redwood66; 06-13-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 02:23 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,531,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wait, someone goes around and checks the races of folks on greeting cards?

Damn, how much does that job pay? Sounds like a cakewalk.
I'm just repeating what was said in the original story. Don't shoot the messenger, okay? Pretty sure that is a violation of the NAP.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:25 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,967,253 times
I have always thought "baby daddy" to be a low term.

I would not buy that card.

Another card that got folks spun up a few years back.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--lBw8nTCk

Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM

52,222 posts, read 33,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I have always thought "baby daddy" to be a low term.

I would not buy that card.

Another card that got folks spun up a few years back.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--lBw8nTCk
yeah, we did that one too.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,738,825 times
If I had seen a card like that at Target, I would have said something and suggested they take it off the shelves as well. Very prejudiced and potentially offensive, especially in regards to the woman who stated it was the only card that featured a black couple in the store. Not sure if I believe that because Target does have the "Mahogany" line from Hallmark, which features black people. But I know some Target stores have more diverse offerings than others.

I have a black dad and I have a husband who's a black dad and my husband in particular would be LIVID if he saw a card like this. Dad would probably laugh and stated how racist people are lol - I get my sense of humour from him and can let stuff not bother me, but my spouse is not that type of person. He probably would have called the media lol.

Very bad taste and plays upon lots of biases and stereotypes of black men. Black men with children are fathers. A "Father's Day" message is appropriate not "baby daddy" which is stupid. Reminds me of that old song "who dat is ....? that just my baby daddy...?" I remember people being mad about that song. I was an HBCU student at the time and a huge amount of students were upset about it. They made the video for the song near our campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies