Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times

Advertisements

The term is thrown about a lot. First, I don't think the deep state is the following:

- A Marxist fifth column. Professional people don't really believe in Marxism anymore.
- A globalist fifth column. I don't think many people are globalists per se. They have stronger motivations that align with globalism but I just don't see the "citizens of the world" engaging in a conspiracy of this scale.

Now what could the deep state be? I have two theories.

- Participants in classic "iron triangle" crony networks. Also known as the revolving door. Make policy in some form, retire, and then work as a lobbyist for $$$. Trump disrupts a lot of these networks in both parties. Takes away the punch bowl, so the parties get angry.
- The lawyerocracy that runs the country and enriches itself through laws and regulations. Similar to the iron triangles but broader and more diffuse. The lawyers' most capable foes, as many feared, were hard-nosed businessmen from New York. Trump and Co. represent not just a challenge to the Washington status quo, but more broadly to lawyers' place in society.

I'm inclined to the last option, if only because the " deep state resistance" has been so broad and spontaneous I don't think it's a coordinated cabal with policy goals. Rather it is a class of people lashing out at an existential threat to their place in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
It’s where the staff is running dc not the Oval Office

Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The term is thrown about a lot. First, I don't think the deep state is the following:

- A Marxist fifth column. Professional people don't really believe in Marxism anymore.
- A globalist fifth column. I don't think many people are globalists per se. They have stronger motivations that align with globalism but I just don't see the "citizens of the world" engaging in a conspiracy of this scale.

Now what could the deep state be? I have two theories.

- Participants in classic "iron triangle" crony networks. Also known as the revolving door. Make policy in some form, retire, and then work as a lobbyist for $$$. Trump disrupts a lot of these networks in both parties. Takes away the punch bowl, so the parties get angry.
- The lawyerocracy that runs the country and enriches itself through laws and regulations. Similar to the iron triangles but broader and more diffuse. The lawyers' most capable foes, as many feared, were hard-nosed businessmen from New York. Trump and Co. represent not just a challenge to the Washington status quo, but more broadly to lawyers' place in society.

I'm inclined to the last option, if only because the " deep state resistance" has been so broad and spontaneous I don't think it's a coordinated cabal with policy goals. Rather it is a class of people lashing out at an existential threat to their place in society.
The deep state is the Power Elite.
Read book by C. Wright Mills

Old 06-18-2018, 10:28 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
It's when the president* and his family are running our country as a kleptocracy while everyone pretends we still have a democracy. The members of the Trump administration who make sure the sweet deals keep coming are known as the "deep state." Trump's deep state is made up of Oil Company executives, high flying financiers (think the Goldman Sachs crowd), and the CEO's of Mega International Corporations.

In typical Trumpian fashion, he tries to pretend that the Deep State is actually a conspiracy of Washington insiders who wish only for him to fail. This is called the "wag the dog" syndrome. If you listen closely to the refrain when Trump starts singing "Poor, poor, pitiful me," you'll hear the hound of the deep state join in every time.

In other words, "the deep state" is more partisan conspiracy theory than it is anything else. Trump's Cult adores speculating about it anyway.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
It's when the president* and his family are running our country as a kleptocracy while everyone pretends we still have a democracy. The members of the Trump administration who make sure the sweet deals keep coming are known as the "deep state." Trump's deep state is made up of Oil Company executives, high flying financiers (think the Goldman Sachs crowd), and the CEO's of Mega International Corporations.

In typical Trumpian fashion, he tries to pretend that the Deep State is actually a conspiracy of Washington insiders who wish only for him to fail. This is called the "wag the dog" syndrome. If you listen closely to the refrain when Trump starts singing "Poor, poor, pitiful me," you'll hear the hound of the deep state join in every time.

In other words, "the deep state" is more partisan conspiracy theory than it is anything else. Trump's Cult adores speculating about it anyway.
How original! -- find a group or clique you personally dislike, and hang the label "Deep State" on them; (but look the other way when your own cronies are in office).

Personally, I don't think that any of the last five occupants of the White House had much interest in divorcing themselves from the levers of power. But it is the Democrats who more regularly blur the boundaries between the public and private sectors, and push more consistently for the expansion and centralization of power, and the abuses arising from this.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
It's the establishment particularly the government, Wall street, and the media....when you consider that over 90% of journalists voted for Hillary, 94% of DC voted for Hillary and Trump only received 10% of the NYC vote, that's the Deep state to me.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
It's what describes the deep state of despair that happens to Republican dude when he finds his Democratic mother-in-law became POTUS.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Elite people the GOP do not like.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,050 times
The deep state throws children into concentration camps.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:08 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
I don't know if the deep state exists, but I hope it does to derail Trump's plan to close the border and stop immigration. We need undocumented immigrants to keep things going. I for one am not willing to pay 2 cents more for a head of lettuce and it's monstrous for Trump to think otherwise. We need an endless supply of cheap laborers to take care of our children, clean our houses, tend our gardens and so on. Can you imagine how much we would have to pay for new roofs if we had to pay Americans to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies