Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 AM

8,848 posts, read 4,515,915 times

Advertisements

I don't think this thread is supposed to be a debate about global warming. (It's going to be 110F here today so I'm certainly not a "denier".)

Without the US to play global policeman and piggy bank to large parts of the world, would things be better or worse? Seems clear to me that things would get way worse, way quick.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
The thread is not about my opinions or Trump it's about my query on how the world would change if American influence positive or negative was suddenly absent on the world stage. MAGA/KAGA
The first line of your thread:

Quote:
The lib democrats think the USA is evil and should be brought to heal for the benefit of the global community
So, yes, it is about your opinion.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 743,715 times
Sorry, you cannot argue this:

Quote:
The thread is not about my opinions or Trump it's about my query on how the world would change if American influence positive or negative was suddenly absent on the world stage. MAGA/KAGA

When you start with this:

Quote:
The lib democrats think the USA is evil and should be brought to heal for the benefit of the global community

If you want to encourage speculative conversation, it's probably best to not to have such a willful misunderstanding of a large part of that conversation.

To your actual question: If the scenario you paint happened, the initial reaction would, of course, be survival on the small scale. I doubt sincerely that I would be thinking about nation-building at that point. But then you would still have arguments in any group--one side would be about self-preservation, the other about what's best for the most. Some of us are just wired that way, I think, and we need both to be a successful society and to give each individual the best chance to survive.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,770,476 times
The Romans, the Persians, the Ottomans, the Macedonians all had huge empires that are now gone. And the world abides.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,436,305 times
Quote:
where the United States stood now is just an expanse of water Pacific meets atlantic ocean.
Ahahaha.... Shows the egocentric view as if USA = North America... We, Canada, would still be here. We wouldn't be bothered with the weird neighbour down south anymore... Would have a nice ocean along our southern border... Would further develop our trade with the rest of the world.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The Romans, the Persians, the Ottomans, the Macedonians all had huge empires that are now gone. And the world abides.
Yes, and one day America will join that list, of ONCE great nations that eventually fell, history proves this over and over again, NO nation or superpower stays at the top forever.

The world wont end though, another nation or power will take our place, things will go on like normal.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
Quote:
No, they don't think that.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:46 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,770,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, and one day America will join that list, of ONCE great nations that eventually fell, history proves this over and over again, NO nation or superpower stays at the top forever.

The world wont end though, another nation or power will take our place, things will go on like normal.
Yes and our best hope is that we slowly lose our empire and fade to a smaller role on the world stage, kind of like Britain. Preferable to going down like the Romans, waiting for the Goths to come in and sack it.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,269,678 times
Someone mentioned the Christian movies about life on Earth after the Rapture.

Remember when you would see cars with bumper stickers that said “Warning: In case of Rapture this car will be driverless?”

The funniest retort I remember was a guy with a bumper sticker that said “In case of Rapture we get all of your s**t.”

Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 PM

1,196 posts, read 836,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Yes and our best hope is that we slowly lose our empire and fade to a smaller role on the world stage, kind of like Britain. Preferable to going down like the Romans, waiting for the Goths to come in and sack it.
The Roman Empire succumbed to barbarian invasions in large part due to the gradual loss of civic virtue among its citizens. (libs)

Dependence on non- Roman immigrant barbarian mercenaries, who then became so numerous and ingrained that they were able to take over the Empire. (democrats want open borders)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.