Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:09 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,337,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Rural whites vs. urban whites.
Ah, I see. So all the fit white folks voted "D", and all the fat ones voted "R".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Those places are all blue silly. And the parts of them that are super obese are ethnic, which makes you a RACIST (see what I did there) Urban cowboys LOL. I think you've been watching too many reruns of Dallas. San Antonio is a Hispanic city. Austin is super liberal and loaded with hipster transplants. It's like Seattle or Portland in the middle of Texas. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country behind New York and maybe LA. El paso is literally like 90%+ Hispanic. There are no white people there. I won't even touch on mid-sized cities like Corpus Christi or Laredo. None of these places are loaded with fat cowboys that voted for Trump.

Don't talk about thinks you know nothing about on the Interwebs lady. It just makes you look ignorant.

The fattest people in most of those states didn't vote for Trump pumpkin. Drive your Prius down to Mississippi some time and have a look for yourself. Prepare to have your eyes opened with a pry-bar.
Couldn't rep you again, but this is great!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:18 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Rural America, aka "Trump Land," is full of fat and out of shape people.

Who knew?!
You don't sound very Neutral. Regardless, what satisfaction does anyone get out of being haters regarding the obesity rate anywhere?
I live in CA and obesity seems to be everywhere here as well, with Blacks and Latinos leading the way with each having over 31% obesity and that's expected to double in the next few years. Are you going to get some kind of joy from that as well?

Old 06-14-2018, 02:24 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You don't sound very Neutral. Regardless, what satisfaction does anyone get out of being haters regarding the obesity rate anywhere?
I live in CA and obesity seems to be everywhere here as well, with Blacks and Latinos leading the way with each having over 31% obesity and that's expected to double in the next few years. Are you going to get some kind of joy from that as well?
Right. Who cares what gender, race, political affiliation or geographic locations have the most obesity. It's a first world problem and instead of trying to shame people or point fingers or for God's sake blame the President exert some effort in nutritional campaigns or start an exercise group or anything positive.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Ah, I see. So all the fit white folks voted "D", and all the fat ones voted "R".
Didn't say that...

Old 06-14-2018, 02:38 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Right. Who cares what gender, race, political affiliation or geographic locations have the most obesity. It's a first world problem and instead of trying to shame people or point fingers or for God's sake blame the President exert some effort in nutritional campaigns or start an exercise group or anything positive.
I agree. What on earth is there to be gained by arguing about which group is most obese? It doesn't accomplish a damn thing. This isn't really about policy, it's about each side blaming the other for all those nasty fat people they don't want to claim as their own.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:59 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Rural, urban, local, global.
I've notice an increase in obesity in all of these places, especially - and tragically - amongst young kids.

Blame it on globalized fast food, sedimentary lifestyle changes, increased wealth allowing for more food consumption, and probably a host of other contributing factors.
This is why Michelle Obama's healthy eating and exercise initiative was so important and timely. But conservatives took issue with attempting to curb childhood obesity.

As far as rural versus urban, my sister married a man who grew up in rural America, and his mom cooked with heavy cream and lots of butter, and though her food was delicious, it was packed with fat and calories. My ex's family was rural and his mother cooked the same way. It seems like a cultural thing.

I agree that this is not a political issue, but a lifestyle issue. Americans simply do not know how to eat healthy. Though education also plays a role, which is probably why those red states are more obese than the blue ones.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
You can take it up with these guys, I used their numbers.

https://stateofobesity.org/disparities/
You passed that buck pretty quick when your post started taking fire, lol.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
75% of us are overweight/ obese. As such we are far more vulnerable to serious disease, Diabetes, Heart Disease, some cancers, joint deterioration and more.

We tend to blame FILL IN THE BLANK for the cost of healthcare in the US instead of taking personal responsibility.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This is why Michelle Obama's healthy eating and exercise initiative was so important and timely. But conservatives took issue with attempting to curb childhood obesity.

As far as rural versus urban, my sister married a man who grew up in rural America, and his mom cooked with heavy cream and lots of butter, and though her food was delicious, it was packed with fat and calories. My ex's family was rural and his mother cooked the same way. It seems like a cultural thing.

I agree that this is not a political issue, but a lifestyle issue. Americans simply do not know how to eat healthy.
I agree that her efforts were important. I know that some people complained about wasted food and bland, flavorless meals, but the fact is, there have always been bland and flavorless meals in school cafeterias, and there have always been kids who threw out stuff they didn't want to eat. The pictures I saw of the suggested meals actually looked pretty tasty to me.

Honestly, though, I think that at least with kids, and probably adults, too, since they are all former kids, a large part of the problem is what we do for fun. Things people used to do for sheer joy are "workouts" now, with all the emphasis on work. It's nothing new, or at least not that new. Back in the very late 90s, I used to go to a local skating rink. I was the only person over the age of about 12 or 13 who actually skated. The other adults were just there waiting for their kids, and looking at me like I was out of my mind.

Video games, iPads, computers, smartphones...they are so seductive. I do not say that to accuse, because I am just as guilty, at least when it comes to the computer, as anyone else. I'm also a lot fatter than I used to be.

I guess my main point is this: have we, all of us, forgotten how to play, how to get out and move just because it's fun? I think maybe we have, and I think we're passing it on to the next generation.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 06-14-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies