Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

I get very embarrassed online admitting I live in Oklahoma. I want more than anything to leave but cannot right now.

While California is very expensive and I can see why people would want to leave there, Oklahoma is as cheap as it is for a reason. It's a downright horrible place to live. I've been back here for six years and I still cannot accept that I live here. It's like being in Baptist prison.

Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina are good red states to live in. Tennessee is up and coming. Avoid Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and West Virginia. Those four are the worst of the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Search:

Household Debt Statistics by State - Federal Reserve Bank of New York
I can't find the data by state - that's why I asked for the link.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
BTW, I looked up the OP's source and realized it includes mortgage debt. Since houses are so much more expensive in CA nobody should be surprised their debt levels are higher than Oklahoma.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Oklahoma is cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
You guys try so hard to jab at California. The state of California's economy has more money than many countries do.

Comparing Oklahoma, a state with a population of only 3,000,00, and is 95% rural,to California, a state with a population of 40,000,000 people and has four of the top 20 largest metro areas in the country....is just stupid.

I don't even care for California, been there twice. Too liberal for me and too crowded. But I feel the need to prove people wrong who make terrible comparisons in an effort to make a point, and this is one of them.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Household Debt Statistics by State - Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Why do states that claim to have such good economies have so much debt compared to one of the most Republican states?

If places like California and Colorado with lots of liberals are doing so fantastic why aren't they paying off debt.

I am currently in West Texas and there is not one new luxury car in the parking lot. Just, decent solid vehicles to get people from one place to the other.

I was just in Colorado and can see why they have so much debt there. Such a high percentage of the population living a celebrity emulating lifestyle. Was comical going out for coffee in Colorado as the coffee shops are full of people talking about $$$$, network marketing and pyramid schemes.

Love how the Democratic state elites are always saying how terrible things are in extremely Republican states like Oklahoma but it is the liberal states running up the massive amount of debt.

More than twice the household debt per-capita in California and Colorado compared to Oklahoma which has supposedly been left behind because it is so Republican.

Per-Capita debt in Oklahoma is $33,000 as opposed to Colorado at $68,000 and California at $70,000.
Heh, you might have seen me in a Colorado coffee shop, hanging out with one of my kids. Guess what? My (liberal) spouse and I own our house and vehicles outright, carry no revolving debt, have enough college savings to send our kids to school debt-free, and have a seven-figure retirement fund, plus a household income well above average with two decades to go until retirement. You might be surprised at how many of my suburban neighbors are in the same position. Life is good.

Edit: My spouse travels frequently to Oklahoma for business, and I joined him recently to see what it was like. Here' my impression: Nice people, but Colorado is an infinitely better place to live.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
OK is largely a failed resource extraction state. You really cannot compare it to other places with diverse economies. Then again, if one needs to be told that - their knowledge of geography and economy is probably too low to understand it.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Heh, you might have seen me in a Colorado coffee shop, hanging out with one of my kids. Guess what? My (liberal) spouse and I own our house and vehicles outright, carry no revolving debt, have enough college savings to send our kids to school debt-free, and have a seven-figure retirement fund, plus a household income well above average with two decades to go until retirement. You might be surprised at how many of my suburban neighbors are in the same position. Life is good.

At least in Colorado you don't have the Baptist church shoving its agenda down everyone's throat and being everyone's moral police like you do in Oklahoma. In Oklahoma, there is very little separation of church and state. The Baptist church runs everything.

Words cannot describe how much I despise living in Oklahoma.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
If OK is so bad with 100's of billions worth of "free" oil, just imagine how it would be if the population actually had to create value as opposed to pumping it "one time" out of the ground.

It boggles the mind.

It really is infantile...all these folks who are down on the economic engines of our economy and history.....telling us that perhaps the "real" America is in the places where nothing much happens.

I love a good debate but this is not one!

Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
The OP reads as a shallow rant with very little factual information.

Why not just retitle the thread to "I hate liberals! Ahhhh!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies