Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you really this clueless? There already are unlimited visas for legal, foreign crop pickers because it's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. Illegal aliens and in some cases legal immigrants have taken jobs from Americans by working for less. We have no shortage of American workers to do most any job for a "fair" wage.
You have this backwards. Hard labor jobs pay so little, Americans refuse to work them. Companies, instead of raising wages, get slave labor via visas.

https://j1visa.state.gov/wp-content/...Flyer-2017.pdf

Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Are you really this clueless? There already are unlimited visas for legal, foreign crop pickers because it's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. Illegal aliens and in some cases legal immigrants have taken jobs from Americans by working for less. We have no shortage of American workers to do most any job for a "fair" wage.
Apparently Maralago does. Local residents with experience were rejected for jobs as simple as housekeeping and maid service in favor of Eastern European visa workers.

If the Trumps cannot afford to pay a a decent wage to their employees--why would anyone else be expected to? They can provide jobs to Americans who actually do want them, but prefer foreign workers.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
GOP is well on its way to becoming the American Taliban.
Pretty much. It is easy to see that happening with this bunch.

I think probably the party will break into two eventually, with their own conventions and nominees for national office. The more moderate pro-business party will win back a lot of former Republicans and the ultra-nationalist/reactionaries will become a hardened kernel centered around Mississippi and Alabama and some places in the rural west.

This is really how the party got it's start: Whigs and Know-Nothings both saw their parties dissolving and those people got together in Ripon Wisconsin and declared themselves a new 'republican' party, blending their agenda.

The Whigs were the pro-business faction and the Know-Nothings were the anti-foreigner/anti-'foreign' religion group.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Apparently, we do.

$80k per year is not enough to fill the shortage of truck drivers. Do you think that is not a 'fair wage'?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.619b9825a128

Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Apparently, we do.

$80k per year is not enough to fill the shortage of truck drivers. Do you think that is not a 'fair wage'?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.619b9825a128

A billion isn't enough for Bezo's so why should 80k be enough for others?

Old 06-16-2018, 10:05 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Sessions Says US Policy is Based on Biblical Teachings
The same argument can be made about ANY policy, even the holocaust.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Basically Romans 13 has been used that way.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:09 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes it was and I believe it was this passage.

“This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’ “
1 Samuel 15:2–3

Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration, so, no, that won't be necessary.
I guess the location is a fluke then.....they should have put it in DC, eh?

It would be quite a stretch to say that the "Liberty" of the US, the founding and the Constitution were not based on immigration to this country! After all, I think it is common knowledge that Jewish folks weren't filling up the Mayflower, yet George Washington wrote them a letter:

"The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship.

It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it were the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights, for, happily, the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

It would be inconsistent with the frankness of my character not to avow that I am pleased with your favorable opinion of my administration and fervent wishes for my felicity.

May the children of the stock of Abraham who dwell in this land continue to merit and enjoy the good will of the other inhabitants—while every one shall sit in safety under his own vine and fig tree and there shall be none to make him afraid"

It certainly doesn't sound like GW was locking the door to the USA....and, in fact, one could read here that all that is needed to qualify for citizenship is to support the Government (or at least the Constitution)....

The Statue of Liberty was placed in the Harbor so that passenger vessels could be awed by it....and as a clear connection between Europe and the US (which these passenger boats went back and forth to)....

It would be quite another reach to think that the boats they had in mind were only tourists...Americans leaving for a Euro vacation in 1890 and then returning.

But, hey, if that is your interpretation, so be it.

George might disagree:
"The bosom of America is open to receive not only the Opulent and respectable Stranger, but the oppressed and persecuted of all Nations And Religions; whom we shall wellcome to a participation of all our rights and previleges, if by decency and propriety of conduct they appear to merit the enjoyment.

― George Washington"

An inconvenient truth, I guess - and yet another example of how Trumpies are treasonous...or, at minimum, simply do not believe in the ideals of our Republic as expressed at it's founding.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:02 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
The United Methodist Church calls Trump out.

https://www.umcjustice.org/news-and-...the-gospel-697

Even Franklin Graham is calling out the policy (even though he still can't actually bring himself to blame Trump)

Franklin Graham rips separating kids and parents at border | Charlotte Observer

Though, I am no fan of Franklin Graham he is making the same argument I've been making for years.

"I think it's disgraceful, it's terrible, to see families ripped apart, and I don't support that one bit. And I blame the politicians for the last 20, 30 years that have allowed this to escalate to the point where it is today.

When you ignore your guy, it only gets worse with the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies