Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Also with the Imperial measurement you had two systems. In Canada a fluid ounces is slight different than a US ounce, a pint is 16 US ounces in the US and a pint in Canada is/was 20 Imperial ounces.

There is three different measurements for "ton". The imperial or "long ton" is 2,240 lb, a "short ton" which is standard in the US is 2,000 lb and then there is the metric ton.

Try explaining to your homeowner coal customer why they are getting a "short ton" when they ask the question.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Easier to learn. You mean like time periods?

60 seconds per minute
60 minutes per hour
24 hours per day
31 days for 7 months, 30 days for 4 months and 28 or 29 days for one month
365 days a year for 3 years, and 366 days for 1 year, of a 4 year cycle.

The world seems to manage just fine learning that.

I did not post the same point. I posted a specific practical application of metrics, I didn't even tell you the operators needed. You claim that the process of division varies dependent on the divided or divisor, which is utterly absurd.
Learning time is as difficult as learning Imperial measurements. I didn't say it was impossible, I said metric measurement are easier to learn because everything is by ten.

It takes less brain power to remember 1000 metres is 1 K, than remembering how many feet in a mile. Ask 5 people and see what answers you get.

You posted two scenarios with random measurements, which is the same point that I made. I did not say

"that the process of division varies dependent on the divided or divisor..."

What I said was "When using any system the number you start with, and cutting into 1/2 etc is as complicated as the number you start off with. "

So whether dividing 2874.6 metres by 67 or dividing 2874.6 yards by 67 , the difficulty is the same. This is where we agree.

I also said " Any system in practical use can be as simple or as complicated as the equation."

So I'm not sure why you think I'm saying otherwise.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
What is a microamp in the imperial-system!!!!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Never... One liter vs one gallon... I have seen what Europe did to price rape it's citizens with the metric system...
Please explain (I can't wait to hear this).

and you mean ITS citizens of course......

Old 06-17-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Please explain (I can't wait to hear this).

and you mean ITS citizens of course......

You know what to expect to pay for a gallon of milk but not what the conversion would be for a liter. During a conversion you can tack on some profit by increasing the price per unit early on and most consumers would be none the wiser. They do similar thing with standard sized containers, a standard coffee can will hold one pound of coffee when full.... They reduce the product, not the container.

As another example also with coffee next time you are in the coffee aisle take a look at regular Maxwell house coffee in the blue container. In all the stores locally below that will be their other blends marked at the same or similar price also in a blue container. Compare the containers side by side.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I hate metric! I do a lot of cooking and can measure everything now almost exactly by sight and feel.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You know what to expect to pay for a gallon of milk but not what the conversion would be for a liter.
Oh. And the Europeans - most of whom wouldn't know a gallon - were "price raped" back around the 19th-20th century when they adopted metric? Is that your point?

Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Learning time is as difficult as learning Imperial measurements. I didn't say it was impossible, I said metric measurement are easier to learn because everything is by ten.
Of course, once you get away from trivial measurements, SI gets even better. One joule is the amount of energy transfered by one Newton acting for one meter - and it's also the amount of energy transfered when one Ampere passes through one Ohm of resistance for one second.

Do imperial units having to do with post-steam-engine physics even exist? Has anyone ever computed Planck's constant in feet squared times pounds per second?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You know what to expect to pay for a gallon of milk but not what the conversion would be for a liter. During a conversion you can tack on some profit by increasing the price per unit early on and most consumers would be none the wiser. They do similar thing with standard sized containers, a standard coffee can will hold one pound of coffee when full.... They reduce the product, not the container.

As another example also with coffee next time you are in the coffee aisle take a look at regular Maxwell house coffee in the blue container. In all the stores locally below that will be their other blends marked at the same or similar price also in a blue container. Compare the containers side by side.
I think you are missing the point Except for the UK, Europe has been metric a VERY long time. In France since 1791, with with weights and measure standardized in 1799, and mandatory since 1837. There was no trickery in upping the price of gasoline, as the poster was suggesting.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh. And the Europeans - most of whom wouldn't know a gallon - were "price raped" back around the 19th-20th century when they adopted metric? Is that your point?

I believe that would be the point of whoever posted it, I'm just pointing out why that would be and most certainly companies would take advantage of it. Short term issue, there is much bigger issues with this such as the one I explained about construction materiel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies