Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:08 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No whites don't get cheated both ways. Affirmative Action in elite universities end up with more whites than expected by a large margin. Whites can't be being held back if they have lower scores than Asians. Hence if you look at a school like UC Berkeley where affirmative action doesn't exist you'll quickly see while the Hispanic and black population decrease, the white one decreases substantially also. Hence even the article states most of the Asian spots are being taken up by white Americans. In ivies where Hispanics and blacks are already small populations compared to the U.S student population the white population is what gets reduced in sheer numbers when AA is removed, although a higher percentage of Hispanic and Black students maybe cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Actually I understand racial balance and support
artificial diversity to some extent.

But Jewish students are 26% of Harvard population, way overrepresented than "Asians".
Why not do something about it?

Almost a third of Asians nationwide live in Cali, most in the Bay area. The Berkeley numbers are a complete canard, and don't even hold up through the rest of the state.

Look at even the racial breakdown of nearby UC Davis, and you will see that the Berkeley numbers do not hold up:

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/

Or UC Santa Cruz:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/...ve-action-ban/

UCLA

Or Santa Barbara:

So let us stop the nonsense. The idea that whites will be hurt more than Hispanics or blacks, regardless of where it comes from, is asinine.

By the way, I give a rat's ass. If Asians do better, let them do better. They should get the spots that they earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 05:55 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Actually I understand racial balance and support
artificial diversity to some extent.

But Jewish students are 26% of Harvard population, way overrepresented than "Asians".
Why not do something about it?
How about reducing blacks in NBA to 13%?

Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
what Harvard is doing is institutional racism. excluding Asian students with objective superior test scores and extracurricular activities and downgrading them on subjective assessments of 'personality' is about as racist as it gets. Harvard did the same thing to Jewish students in the 1920s.

this must stop. affirmative action is despicable.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:00 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Why don't they just black out the names and races of the kids applying? You're really not doing anyone any good placing a kid in a school that they can not compete at. They will just feel ostracized, lash out and/or drop out. Every kid should go to a school that teaches at their own pace.
And do a blind interviews to stop the institution's representatives from assuming a race. Won't help, the essay writer will just game the system when writing her background. Now some have already won by trying to suggest an African or Native American ancestor that no DNA test could pick up. But as long as so called race is the second most important "diversity" criteria after the ability to lead a team to a sports championship there is no getting around suppressing the numbers of one ethnic group in order to boost the numbers of another if an institution has that goal.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I just stated a fact.

It is a fact that certain races/ethnic groups get admitted based on quotas based on their percentage of the population. If that is the rule for them, it should be the rule for whites as well.

And it is a fact that one particular race (East Asians) gets more of the slots than its proportion of the population would justify but complains that they don't get as many spots as they would if admissions were based solely on academic credentials. They're right about that, but the same thing is true for whites as well.

Whites get cheated both ways. I point this out -- I object to blatant racism -- and your response is that objecting to racism "has to be the most racist thing I have heard". Sorry, but you're the champion in that competition.
What? How much more racist can you be?

Could you please apply your racist logic to the NBA players?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Their hue is the same as your hue 95% of the time. I don’t know what you’re taking about.

In fact, Asians are often paler than most white folks I know.
Asians aren’t black enough. If I were Asian, I’d self identify as black.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:16 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Harvard is a private university and has its own admission criteria.

They want a representative enrollment and student body. Including geographical. An applicant from a small mid-west or southern town might have a better chance of admission than those from large cities. Assuming that the accepted applicant has a SAT score of 2100+ or so and meets other selection criteria.

I've read that they could (if they wanted) have an entire first year class, all having perfect scores on the SAT. But thats not all that they are looking for. Obviously.
Though Harvard is a private university, it gets $ hundreds of millions $ in federal funds and is subject to the federal civil rights act. Whether Harvard uses race and ethnicity as a factor for admissions isn't in dispute. The extent to which their criteria and the process they use is what the plaintiffs claim violate the CRA.

If any college admissions are here, I'd like to know what they use to rank applicants on factors such as helpfulness, courage, kindness, is a good person, and other personality/character traits.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:24 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Racism and bigotry is alive and well at Harvard. Why is it acceptable to discriminate against Asians and Jews, but not other races?

Old 06-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Racism and bigotry is alive and well at Harvard. Why is it acceptable to discriminate against Asians and Jews, but not other races?
Discrimination against whites is totally cool, too.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
what Harvard is doing is institutional racism. excluding Asian students with objective superior test scores and extracurricular activities and downgrading them on subjective assessments of 'personality' is about as racist as it gets. Harvard did the same thing to Jewish students in the 1920s.

this must stop. affirmative action is despicable.
The "affirmative action" is for the whites. Many can't compete with the Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies