Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times

Advertisements

It used to be that when I heard reports of violence on the evening news, I would get uneasy, my pulse would rise, and I would perk up and follow every detail.

Today?

"Dozens killed in overseas attack." "School shooting results in several children killed." "Woman walking dog eaten by Alligator."

And I'm like, "Meh ..."

Has the violence in today's world become so commonplace as to no longer register on the radar, or have I become heartless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 04:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
No, I have not. A couple of days ago, four people were gunned down in a dentist's parking lot on the other side of the city. I get choked up just thinking about it, so, no, I don't believe I've become jaded to reports of violence.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:48 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
I don't listen to that kind of junk. I prefer real news.

I'd rather listen to PBS/NPR. And although Trumpers may consider them biased, it's true that the subjects may be slightly left-leaving (e.g. the environment), but the coverage is accurate.

By the way, local news operates by "If it bleeds, it leads." If people like you started regularly complaining, maybe they'd start to re-think.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:51 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
I have become immune to Blockbuster!, Push Back!, Dramatic!; heck, I can't even remember the daily, nightly, minute-to-minute half-dozen that are used by the media. That is how jaded, immune, not-able-to-hear, Amazing!, blather.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i have pretty much quit listening to the news on tv since cronkite retired. since then the media bias has been growing by leaps and bounds. a few going conservative, but most going liberal and beyond. i have also gotten tired of these news programs coming out with the "news" that end up jumping the gun and not presenting all the facts, mostly because they dont have all the facts, but they then fill in the lack of facts with their own biases and observations, and make claims that are completely bogus to begin with, and when the REAL facts come out later, they ignore them because they have moved onto other stories.

back in cronkites day the would report the news, including any facts they had at the moment, but leave off the editorializing and tell the public they would give further information when they get it.

the so called "news media" today is a lame imitation of what it used to be.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Jaded...the country has become jaded with the killings in Chicago.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
No, I am jaded to the F word thrown at Trump and family by has been Hollywood actors. You do that and you're guaranteed coverage. The latest is Griffin. Looks like she has recovered from her beheading sketch and needs refreshing.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:26 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Evening news is a complete joke. I never watch it, but when I happen to stumble upon it at someone else's house, I laugh at the sensational drivel put out by the anchor, acting all dramatic about another variation of the same story he's been reporting every night for the last decade.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have pretty much quit listening to the news on tv since cronkite retired. since then the media bias has been growing by leaps and bounds. a few going conservative, but most going liberal and beyond. i have also gotten tired of these news programs coming out with the "news" that end up jumping the gun and not presenting all the facts, mostly because they dont have all the facts, but they then fill in the lack of facts with their own biases and observations, and make claims that are completely bogus to begin with, and when the REAL facts come out later, they ignore them because they have moved onto other stories.

back in cronkites day the would report the news, including any facts they had at the moment, but leave off the editorializing and tell the public they would give further information when they get it.

the so called "news media" today is a lame imitation of what it used to be.
We haven’t had real reporting since the Murrow Boys. They were the real deal.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
It used to be that when I heard reports of violence on the evening news, I would get uneasy, my pulse would rise, and I would perk up and follow every detail.

Today?

"Dozens killed in overseas attack." "School shooting results in several children killed." "Woman walking dog eaten by Alligator."

And I'm like, "Meh ..."

Has the violence in today's world become so commonplace as to no longer register on the radar, or have I become heartless?
No but apparently you might be if you are wondering about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies