Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:51 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,822 times

Advertisements

He says remand them to the suburbs. Technically New Brunswick is a city but, being born and raised there, I think of it as the suburbs. When people from New York move to NJ, other than maybe Newark, they call it the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 03:23 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Because only little Caucasians misbehave in public
There's no shortage of YouTube videos of youths misbehaving in fast food places, malls etc. that would prove you wrong.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, you're right I guess. I do find it puzzling why this matters. The difference is in England, we don't have to ask what socio-economic class we belong to. We can tell just by the accent of the speaker.

For instance, Michael Caine, the actor has a very working class background. He has learned to speak in a very clear English accent, understandable by audiences around the world. His real accent is very East London working class. He drifts back into it sometimes on talk shows.

In England, folks are quietly judged by the accent they have. It is not as bad as it was say, 50 years ago, but a 'good' accent is still important in for instance, business. Even something as apparently minor, as an old school tie is noticed by those looking for it. That reveals your education background.

We don't all talk like Hugh Grant, or the Queen.......

From what you say, Americans have more difficulty deciding on background when meeting someone, so instead, they directly try and find out by the question, "what do you do?"
A lot of English/British are regulars at my bar and I hear them comment on eachother's accents when they first meet often. "Oh, that's quite the Liverpool accent you've got there," "I take if you're from the Midlands," etc. Then after the other has left, they'll tell me that the person they were talking to had a really "posh" accent or that they sound like they were a chav trying to fake being posh, or that they are clearly from a working class area, etc.

In the US, someone with a Texan accent could be a million- or billionaire. Someone with a thick Boston or New York accent could be a neurosurgeon. Someone with a pronounced Chicano accent could be a lawyer, etc. Regional accents don't seem to be as big a deal with us and we usually just cut straight to the chase.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
There's no shortage of YouTube videos of youths misbehaving in fast food places, malls etc. that would prove you wrong.
I was being sarcastic , I agree all kinds of kids can behave bad .

Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I think he may have been being sarcastic...

Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Even White people can be racist against their own kind.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Self loathing is destructive.
Many young people are indoctrinated into self loathing by liberal educators.
Its child abuse presented as policy becoming increasingly common starting in elementary grades and lasting through college. Social engineering is a systematic hate crime and fraud perpetrated by those misusing authority. The misuse of authority is rampant in the DOJ and becoming common in society.
The #metoo movement grew out of resistance to misuse of authority and with luck those teaching self loathing to children will be exposed as the child abusers they are.
The promulgation of self loathing among white males from elementary school on is what i attribute a large part of the massive surge in suicide among young white men. They are taught you are evil. White men are the cause of all ills in our world. The way you think and nearly everything you say, think or do is offensive an wrong. As a white male you are responsible for the near genocide of Americans, the cause of slavery, unjust wars all over the world, repressing women and anyone who is non-white. As a white male, you are evil incarnate. They are not just abusing our children, they are killing them.

Unfortunately this cannot be criminalized as people like this professor are entitled to voice their opinions, however teaching such opinions as fact to young people is a horrid thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies