Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

If you are old enough to remember the pre 9/11 boom economy of the late 1990s no other economy will ever feel vibrant. The mid/late 2Ks were good as is 2014-now but in both is much harder to get an interview now due to all the robo computers sifting resumes for keywords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That didn't shock me. I saw how much money the oil companies, wall street etc. were throwing into the Clinton and Obama pockets in 2008.

They knew to butter their bread on both sides (including the R's) to protect themselves.

Besides, that's one of the main strengths of Pelosi (this coming from Democratic sources) is her ties into the financial market world for large, deep pocket political contributions to Dems. Love her or hate her, she's a rain-maker when it comes to that.
You don't think those companies are throwing money into Republican coffers right now.

As Trump proudly boasted often, corporations give money to both sides. They cover all their bases.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You claimed they were given free houses, and I showed from your own link it was not true.
The lender can't foreclose, can't seize the property, and the judges have signed off on it.

From the NY Times article:

Quote:
"There are tens of thousands of homeowners who have missed more than five years of mortgage payments, many of them clustered in states like Florida, New Jersey and New York, where lenders must get judges to sign off on foreclosures.

However, in a growing number of foreclosure cases filed when home prices collapsed during the financial crisis, lenders may never be able to seize the homes because the state statutes of limitations have been exceeded, according to interviews with housing lawyers and a review of state and federal court decisions.

“No one gets a free house,” Judge Michael B. Kaplan of the United States Bankruptcy Court in Trenton wrote in an opinion late last year, reflecting what he characterized as a longstanding “admonition” he and others made during the foreclosure crisis. But after effectively ending a New Jersey homeowner’s foreclosure case in November because the state’s six-year statute of limitations had expired, he wrote in his opinion, “With a proper measure of disquiet and chagrin, the court now must retreat from this position."

Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The lender can't foreclose, can't seize the property, and the judges have signed off on it.

From the NY Times article:
Like I said: Your own link says some people got to keep their house due to a legal quirk and statute of limitations having expired.

No one gave them anything, so please stop making it sound like it was some kind of gift, charity or welfare.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Like I said: Your own link says some people got to keep their house due to a legal quirk and statute of limitations having expired.
Yep. Free houses. No mortgage payments. They can spend that money on something else.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I've never lived during a better time. We are at our highest rate of earning since we've been married (20 years). My company is throwing around money like it's water for the first time in 10 years. Our house is worth more than ever. I don't know anyone un-employed right now.

I'm way ok with this economy.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:26 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You don't think those companies are throwing money into Republican coffers right now.

As Trump proudly boasted often, corporations give money to both sides. They cover all their bases.
I said they butter their bread on both sides and specifically mention R's as well.

I didn't say they ever stopped doing so as that would frankly be insulting to the forums readers intelligence.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Yep. Free houses. No mortgage payments. They can spend that money on something else.
I am counting on other readers to understand the point better than you do. It was not a gift, charity, welfare, or anything the Fed did (as you are trying to spin it). They were able to claim the house due to a legal quirk and statute of limitations having expired. No one gave them anything.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I am counting on other readers to understand the point better than you do. It was not a gift, charity, welfare, or anything the Fed did (as you are trying to spin it).
Au contraire. Had the Federal Reserve not bailed out Fannie and Freddie with $2 trillion in QE, those homes would have been foreclosed in a timely manner. The investors left holding the bag would have demanded it. As it is now... no one has to pay, the builders/sellers/GSEs/etc. were made whole at the point of purchase, the Federal Reserve just reduces/erases the line item as the MBS mature and roll off (remember, they don't have to mark to market or recognize any losses), and that $2 trillion in QE is never unwound. Well, maybe some of it will unwind, but most certainly not all.

So, let's see... ~$13,000/year in free QE money for even 20 years of what should have been a 30-year mortgage? That's $260,000 free QE money. But only for those who were irresponsible and didn't/don't pay their mortgages.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Au contraire. Had the Federal Reserve not bailed out Fannie and Freddie with $2 trillion in QE, those homes would have been foreclosed in a timely manner.
No. Again, I am counting on other readers to understand the point better than you do. Read your own link. The process dragged on, and the time expired because the States in question required the judge to sing off, which they did not do. You are trying to make connections where there are no connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies