Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When economic issues are not a concern, the people will focus on other issues like healthcare/education (Bernie), and anti-immigration (Trump).
The abysmal US public K-12 system is MUCH more of a problem and Bernie never addressed that. And no one is anti-immigration. But many are anti-ILLEGAL immigration.

Read here to see what a sick joke US public schools are:

The shocking disparity in NAEP scores by race/ethnicity

BOTH a crappy US public education system and illegal immigration negatively impact the economy. They create an exponentially increasing underclass of poor people who drag down wages at the lower end of the scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What "REAL debt" are you referring to? What would be the advantage to hiding "REAL debt?"
The GSE MBS. They can just roll off the Federal Reserve's H.4.1 as they mature whether paid or not. That's how QE created with a keystroke and not backed by US Treasuries work. No one loses any money, the QE is just never unwound.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:17 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The GSE MBS. They can just roll off the Federal Reserve's H.4.1 as they mature whether paid or not. That's how QE created with a keystroke and not backed by US Treasuries work. No one loses any money, the QE is just never unwound.
QE's were moneys created out of thin air. But then swapped dollar for dollar for bank debt. Treasuries or mortgage paper. So within the banking system the net was zero. No one loses any money.

QE is already being unwound. Minus commissions, the bulk of interest and principal goes back to the Treasury. Eventually Fed QE related holdings could go back to baseline. Barring any new ideas.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/03/01/fe...-relentlessly/

Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s a gig and temp economy
It’s not the good old days
The kids are going to keep living in dads basement and garage
And mom and dad are going to keep doing Refinancing of the house to carry them
We have become like France the PhD is flipping burgers for a living
I think you mean Greece.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
QE's were moneys created out of thin air. But then swapped dollar for dollar for bank debt. Treasuries or mortgage paper. So within the banking system the net was zero.
Completely false. There are tens of thousands, if not more, of homeowners living in their homes without making their mortgage payments. That's NOT a net of zero. That's extra money pumped into the economy. Once when the Federal Reserve bought the GSE MBS with QE, and then again when those who don't pay their mortgages spend that money on something else. WHY is that so hard for people to understand?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 PM

I already think I know where the next bubble is: student loans. I think it was $1.1 trillion last I checked (may be higher now). I think that's about double what I thought the TARP bailout was.

And college costs keep going up and up while the value of degrees go down. It's going to burst. They may attempt to try "free college" legislation to stop it, but I don't think even that will stop it (plus, even if it does, it will hurt us somewhere else.)

Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the unskilled will always be at the bottom of the barrel, accept it.
Here is the problem: in the past, people used to work in the unskilled fields while going to high school or in college to pay for college. Now they are being offshored, pay low, or are filled with illegals, plus some companies that used to hire highschoolers now hire more college and older. The bottom rung is being pulled out.

And no, you can't get into the higher level right away because you need experience for that and you don't yet have it (and sometimes can't even get it in college!).

Old 06-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What baffles me in all of this, is why has America recovered better than most of the remainder of the industrialized world. Look for example at the American stock market, vs. nearly any other developed nation's stock market. The Great Recession started right here. The most egregious abuses we're right here. And yet, the recovery was also the strongest... right here. Why?
It might have something to do with the dollar being the world's reserve currency.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Completely false. There are tens of thousands, if not more, of homeowners living in their homes without making their mortgage payments. That's NOT a net of zero. That's extra money pumped into the economy. Once when the Federal Reserve bought the GSE MBS with QE, and then again when those who don't pay their mortgages spend that money on something else. WHY is that so hard for people to understand?
Zero within the banking system.

I know of no one having their house without payment. It may be. And if so, then the rest of the economy will gain.

Again a fairness issue.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I already think I know where the next bubble is: student loans. I think it was $1.1 trillion last I checked (may be higher now). I think that's about double what I thought the TARP bailout was.

And college costs keep going up and up while the value of degrees go down. It's going to burst. They may attempt to try "free college" legislation to stop it, but I don't think even that will stop it (plus, even if it does, it will hurt us somewhere else.)
Student loans will be the next Federal Reserve QE bailout that can't be unwound and will just roll off, paid or not. First, the $2 trillion GSE MBS bailout, and now this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies