Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Dont know anymore than I was able to gather from the OPs article.

1. If the guy was mental...then he shouldn't have access to weapons....

the question then is why do liberals
and the ACLU FIGHT AGAINST having mental health addressed in background checks... and they GIVE THE EXCUSE of HIPAA

it doesn't have to affect hipaa at all.... you go to buy gun... instant 5 minute background check happens at the store AFTER a Sherriff's office 2 week background check to get the permit to buy
............................comes back as code 99(or what ever)...."sorry sir, I can not sell this to you at this time, please check with the NSA you got this code (I don't know what the codes mean) you case number is this, please straighten out the issue before you return"

2. the guns in question...we dont know the legality of them, or where he got them

they may be illegal....which means NOW the gun (IF, as discovered illegal) will be confiscated

or the gun may be legal, which goes back to number one, of why was a mentally ill person able to get a legal gun

meanwhile....everyone of these shootings in the last few years has been one thing in common... A mentally unstable person acting on his 'instability' ... the nutjob from Sandyhook, should have been institutionalized...the nutjob from Vegas, should have been reported by the navy(?) or was it airforce, and institutionalized.. the nutjob from the church in SC, same thing

everyone of these SHOULD have been caught beforehand... yet we need to treat people nice, and turn the otherway....NO..ENOUGH is ENOUGH... open the institutions back up that we closed in the 80's
but that is just the problem....we wont address mental illness..the real problem

I am a gun owner...

I have no problem with background check...I support that (which has been done for years)
I have no problem with expanded background checks....to include mental health (and no, it wont infringe on HIPAA)
I have no problem with the idea of smart guns.... though I have not seen reliable technology as of yet
I have no problem eliminating the garbage bumpstocks
I have no problem with even raising the age to buy to 21... although if they do that, I suggest raising the age for marriage, military, drinking voting, and driving too

yet all the liberals do is scream ban guns

Specific examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 01:34 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Moot? Waldo Jr. claimed that it was "liberals" (his very personal boggy men) that block mental health checks. I demonstrated - through those links - that it was republicans who have rescinded mental health checks put in place by a "liberal." How can you NOT follow that?
liberals and the ACLU have fought to have mental health be NOT part of the background checks

the obozo law affected ONLY those with ssdiā€¦. which was NOT an equal law/policy and therefore unconstitutional... like most of obama's doings

liberals dont want mental disease because they know but wont admit that liberalism is a mental disease

Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Specific examples?
to what???

Old 06-16-2018, 02:07 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Moot? Waldo Jr. claimed that it was "liberals" (his very personal boggy men) that block mental health checks. I demonstrated - through those links - that it was republicans who have rescinded mental health checks put in place by a "liberal." How can you NOT follow that?

Oā€™s policy that was rescinded dealt only with people on SSI or SSDI who were deemed incapable of managing their own financial affairs. How can you NOT follow that?

Old 06-16-2018, 02:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
If you dont have a gun you can steal one or jump on someone that does and take theirs
Jumping on people is very effective when they are extremely reluctant to use theirs

Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
O’s policy that was rescinded dealt only with people on SSI or SSDI who were deemed incapable of managing their own financial affairs. How can you NOT follow that?
Because it has NOTHING to do with the question posed by Waldo Jr. He claimed (and does so) constantly that "liberals" are the root cause of every negative (to him) issue, and then when it is pointed out that republicans have a hand in doing the same things - suddenly those republicans are now liberals or he in some other way moves the goal posts.

That is what you poked your nose in and was proven wrong. Your post above has NOTHING to do with what my post addressed. Or are you going to claim now that I wasn't addressing Waldo Jr."liberals" issue?

Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Sigh* Just another day in the " greatest nation on Earth"!
Yet ANOTHER ' murican coward that thinks he's a badass with his gun. Oh what a big man, shooting unarmed women and kids.
America- a nation of cowards that can't handle the slightest rustling of their tiny jimmies, without reaching for a gun! Yet so many brag about how badass Americans are.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I wonder what he was taking.
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the question more people need to be asking. Everyone is so focused on the guns, or the mental capacity of gun owners, yet I hardly ever see anyone actually question the substances being prescribed to combat these "mental disorders". These drugs are chemical cocktails which were never meant to be present in the human body. We already know there is a mile long list of side effects associated with most prescription medicines, and there is no telling just how many other possible side effects these chemicals may cause when they interact with our brains and alter our natural chemistry. I truly think it's time we start looking more closely at the actual effects of prescription medicines on the individuals who take them.

Also, have you ever noticed that most of the time, when these individuals who are already on medications commit violent crimes, the drugs they are taking are hardly ever mentioned. Almost as if some entity somewhere doesn't really want that information to become public knowledge.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
The main problem with mental health/background checks, is the intellectual bankruptcy of US psychiatry. When I was a kid, the psychiatric diagnostic manual (DSM) listed homosexuality as a disorder. Now, homophobia is considered as a mental health problem.

Until the psychiatric profession is reformed, it will be difficult to get consensus on the issue of background checks. This would be a good topic for Trump-Ryan-McConnell to explore, that is, if there is time after dealing with Stormy, Mueller, Manafort, and other such distractions.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is no indication that Paddock, the shooter in Las Vegas, had any mental problems of the sort that could have led to a mental illness ban. He in fact bought all his weapons legally.

And the kid in Sandyhook owned no weapons and likely had nothing that would have prevented his mother from owning one.
Paddock was known to have a prescription to an anti-anxiety drug, but it was barely reported.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...s-experts-say/

I once heard a discussion of anxiety drugs by a psychiatrist. She said the problem is that, like most behaviors that have evolved in humans, anxiety serves a purpose. It can help keep us from engaging in dangerous activity that we might fantasize about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies