Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 12:48 PM

263 posts, read 234,361 times

Advertisements

From school to workplace to neighborhood, I get impression unlike in my younger years, more and more people increasingly when they have a problem with another person, instead of starting a dialogue, they just resort complaining directly to someone in authority and fail to bring attention to you directly. Instead they would prefer to talk about you behind your back with peers. It seems to be more common with people in 20's. Those in 40's seem to have more willingness to bring something to surface upfront to give you chance to sort it out with them before giving up on you. Is it just me or do you get that sense too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 12:53 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
There's been a definite breakdown in the sense of community and of course communication has suffered.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
How do you equate your theory when the incidents of road rage are WAY higher in past 5 yrs than say 15 yrs ago
Growing up in the 50-6-70's I never saw people are argumentative as they are now
People will fight with so little provocation
I think people are so angry/hostile now...
Many reasons for it

Old 06-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
From school to workplace to neighborhood, I get impression unlike in my younger years, more and more people increasingly when they have a problem with another person, instead of starting a dialogue, they just resort complaining directly to someone in authority and fail to bring attention to you directly.
It's because people are realizing that you can't reason with a bully - not someone you simply have a disagreement or one-off / rare spat with - a bully. We as a society also are coming to recognize that psychological abuse is just as bad as physical abuse, even if the wounds aren't visible. It also disrupt workplace and student morale, leading to lower productivity / grades, increasing sickleave / truancy, and in the case of adults, high staff turnover (and in modern times, lower student enrollment, now that homeschooling is an option).

Quote:
Instead they would prefer to talk about you behind your back with peers. It seems to be more common with people in 20's. Those in 40's seem to have more willingness to bring something to surface upfront to give you chance to sort it out with them before giving up on you. Is it just me or do you get that sense too?
I think it's just you. I'm 50 and it happened when I entered the workforce and has been ever since. I do agree the direct approach - politely done - is best. However, that option is open only for those who are at more or less the same power level (official or personality) as the person they have a conflict with. If you're the target of abuse/harassment, odds are they have a lot of the coworkers on their side already.

Added: I don't agree cowards deserve whatever castigation that comes their way. It's not like they choose to be subjected to more fear than they can handle. Some people simply have less ability than others. So it's difficult for me to see how it's right to fault them for their inability to face up to their difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How do you equate your theory when the incidents of road rage are WAY higher in past 5 yrs than say 15 yrs ago
Growing up in the 50-6-70's I never saw people are argumentative as they are now
Many reasons for it
I think it's our sense of entitlement (and I mean that in the petty sense). People looking down on others who disagree with them, or seeing a threat in them. Plus our "grab all the goodies (or at least glory) you can" attitude doesn't help either. Look at the corporate CEOs since the start of Reagan, the "celebrity CEOs" of the late 90s (Ken Lay, Bernie Ebbers, "Chainsaw Al" Dunlap, Jack Welsh, etc). And the crowing achievement of this attitude -- Trump as president, regardless of your politics, it's hard to deny that his brash, rude behavior is precisely part of his appeal.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:09 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
It's hard to reason with people in a post-truth society. You need to outnumber them to carry the day.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:34 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Many reasons for it
You are actually proving the OP's point.. people who are coddled, spoiled, etc. are more easily angered than people who are put through hardship in life. They expect everything to go their way and get upset when it doesn't.

What we are missing when we raise our kids is a basic understanding in evolutionary psychology. Hardship builds character. We've become a society obsessed with instant gratification and the people who manage to delay gratification and set rules and boundaries are the ones who end up more successful in life.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You are actually proving the OP's point.. people who are coddled, spoiled, etc. are more easily angered than people who are put through hardship in life. They expect everything to go their way and get upset when it doesn't.

What we are missing when we raise our kids is a basic understanding in evolutionary psychology. Hardship builds character. We've become a society obsessed with instant gratification and the people who manage to delay gratification and set rules and boundaries are the ones who end up more successful in life.

Not all hardships build character. If all hardships build character, then we can use that to justify any kind of outrageous acts or exposure to the most hideous acts we know about (I won't give examples, everybody can use their imagination here). Some hardships - no instant gratifications and such - are character builders, but as I suggested, you can only take this one so far before you end up in absurdities.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Yes but it is not restricted to personal conflict we carefully and severely and consistently punish any attempt to confront wrongdoing cowards are not born but cultivated

Old 06-16-2018, 04:15 PM

10,778 posts, read 4,353,901 times
Its like in the early years of school, kids would tell the teacher instead of solving the problem themselves.
Adults today are using the same methods as school children.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:29 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
From school to workplace to neighborhood, I get impression unlike in my younger years, more and more people increasingly when they have a problem with another person, instead of starting a dialogue, they just resort complaining directly to someone in authority and fail to bring attention to you directly. Instead they would prefer to talk about you behind your back with peers. It seems to be more common with people in 20's. Those in 40's seem to have more willingness to bring something to surface upfront to give you chance to sort it out with them before giving up on you. Is it just me or do you get that sense too?
Because they’re whiners: everything was done for them so they cannot cope with anything.

Examples:

1. Crossing the street. My parents taught me how to cross the street when I was 5 yrs old. Nowadays? Kids need a cross guard. Go to the parking lot of any large store and look at the people. They don’t even bother looking.

2. Figuring out a tip in your head? Forget it.

3. Figuring out which way is east/west/north/south? Forget it.

That’s just a few examples. That’s just the small stuff. People today can barely wipe their own behinds without assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies